Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Current State of The Game -- thread discussion

This isn't a thread created for me to complain/rant (which ya I know i do a lot) but a serious one for what little is going on in the game currently and onwards which may require you to dig through the thread a bit

-------------------------------------------------

What are your guys thoughts on the current state of the game, from Class balances to released & upcoming"content" releases?

Couple of thoughts I had since Ep6 release:

-Wheres the content? Armada cool but after I get my LS stone, no reason to run it outside 15* camo's. People seemed to have stopped caring about score which makes sense, why bother after 21mill title?

-Class Balance is okay, theres a lot of QoL changes that could be done and just general overhaul or additions that can be made to certain or all classes. Biggest class issue for me is BO, I just don't get their mindset on these changes

-Sega seems to act (or at least YSOK) like they know the classes at a very deep level or they're seriously just going off the common opinions of class balance. The one class that stuck out to me the worst was Fighter, I don't get how or why Sega and w/e portion of the player base seems to think this class is A-Ok and doesn't need to be touched (which Fighter hasn't had anything good done to it for a VERY long time). Only evidence that could back this up are the High End tier Fighters who have voiced their opinions on Twitter

-The current EQ schedule is just idk, I can't tell if its because of W&R or what but Armada wasn't exactly plastered all over the schedule like Persona was and W&R stayed barren as hell and their approach to that EQ this year was meh at best, it could have been better. However these random EQ's that show up need to be changed up a bit as I could care less about running TD1-4 or BEQ's. Scheduled Mother & Deus? why, they're already part of the random EQ pool, just increase the chance rate of it happening there or something

-No new pets for Su, Viola is still ass to use

-The current summer LQ is basically the New Years LQ but with different maps and essentially just Enchanted Forest loot drops; these LQ's are essentially just dropping stuff for people who are still for whatever reason struggling to get their Atra EX or Lightstream weapons done despite copious amounts of boost campaigns. While yes this is nice for new players and I suppose the few with bad luck, it's sort of irritating to others who don't need to run this content because of lack of drops. Oh boy Masq sword/wand, not really a carrot on a stick for me to chase. Part 2 of the LQ is coming soon too which given by obvious patterns will drop materials for Austere NT again, this is getting super old and while I don't have numbers on current players getting on, its another reason to take a literal 2month break off this game and do something else until actual content is released which inevitably is a 1-2 UH field that will die off quick because only the boss drops will actually matter again and likely mobs will drop a mix grab of Dim/Awake/Blood series if we're lucky, otherwise mobs are just a waste of time since new 15*'s were tied to specific bosses and OT bosses didn't drop desired loot

This is all at the top of my head, I really think YSOK is not doing a very good job with the balancing so far and while yes balancing in any game is difficult to achieve, releasing new high end op gear alongside low hp content is not very helpful. Ya UH loads of hp cool, let me bust out my Orgei TMG's and S-Roll Arts everything as an example
    Last edited by ArcaneTechs; Sep 25, 2019 at 08:33 PM.
    Cast - Gt 50, Fg 20, Gm 25
    PSO2 NGS
    Quote Originally Posted by the_importer_ View Post
    Tell you what mate, I'll decide when my topic goes into the QQ post or when it needs to be it's own thing, and you can do the same for yours. Alright, cool. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Kril View Post
    -People seemed to have stopped caring about score which makes sense, why bother after 21mill title?
    You mean the 7.2 mil title? Unless theres a 21 mil title I havent heard about.

While yes this is nice for new players and I suppose the few with bad luck, it's sort of irritating to others who don't need to run this content because of lack of drops. Oh boy Masq sword/wand, not really a carrot on a stick for me to chase.
    The lack of good drops is probably because they don't want to power creep LS yet.

As much as I hate it, they can't constantly keep releasing new content. Hence why they keep recycling content every episode. UH free fields are basically the equivalent of BQs were in episode 5. Its even worse since the first two weeks of each UH free field is literally just bait since they'll have better drop rates in the seasonals.

I'm actually fine with the LQs themselves, but the mediocre drops ruin it for me. Only reason for me to run it is for the sg ticket or horde triggers.

The messed up EQ schedules are probably due to conflicting interests. Some people are still trying to get the armada LS stone, some need seasonals for CFs or drops, some still need units from persona since that's basically what the LQ bonus is for. They really should just do more unscheduled W&R over the other options.

The way they're handling the game now feels like they're trying to appeal to new or returning players. There's barely anything to do as a regular/hardcore player.

for LQ i only go there for fabula but still got Masq sword

-Wheres the content? Armada cool but after I get my LS stone, no reason to run it outside 15* camo's. People seemed to have stopped caring about score which makes sense, why bother after 21mill title?
    21mil title? Last week I got 2.4mil... Unless we get Armada 2 and Armada 3 EQs during the Episode, I doubt I'll reach that.

-Class Balance is okay, theres a lot of QoL changes that could be done and just general overhaul or additions that can be made to certain or all classes. Biggest class issue for me is BO, I just don't get their mindset on these changes
    If class representation is any indication, and considering the fact that there are more Phantoms because it's the new class, balance seems to be in favour of melee oriented builds. I can't say if classes are balanced in regards to output or ease-of-use, but current content is definitely unbalanced in regards to Players vs Environment, with both sides being way too OP.

-The current EQ schedule is just idk, I can't tell if its because of W&R or what but Armada wasn't exactly plastered all over the schedule like Persona was and W&R stayed barren as hell and their approach to that EQ this year was meh at best, it could have been better. However these random EQ's that show up need to be changed up a bit as I could care less about running TD1-4 or BEQ's. Scheduled Mother & Deus? why, they're already part of the random EQ pool, just increase the chance rate of it happening there or something
    What's W&R?
    During the last few weeks it feels that there are less scheduled EQs and more "unscheduled" (or rather unannounced) ones. It's "good" for someone who wants to complete earlier titles (like 30 Dragon Atrum or 30 Apprentize Zia kills), but this requires that the player is available to login when PSO2Alert mentions the EQ.

-The current summer LQ is basically ...snipped to save space
    I also feel that by this point in EP5 we were already working towards the next upgrade over the BiS equipment of the previous episode, or even for specific content (for example Evleda was better for BQ than Qliphad). So far nothing in EP6 has shown to be worthwhile to grind for any content. At least personally the LQ is run so that I purchase the lobby actions that I miss. And unless we upgrade the Cleasis units to Schvelle (with stat upgrades following a linear or better pattern), the whole idea seems to be... useless.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinDeer View Post
    You mean the 7.2 mil title? Unless theres a 21 mil title I havent heard about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Mits View Post
    21mil title? Last week I got 2.4mil... Unless we get Armada 2 and Armada 3 EQs during the Episode, I doubt I'll reach that.
    I for some reason keep thinking theres a 21mill point title (which is what i kept confusing first week of Armada) but ya the 7.2mill title

The lack of good drops is probably because they don't want to power creep LS yet.

As much as I hate it, they can't constantly keep releasing new content. Hence why they keep recycling content every episode. UH free fields are basically the equivalent of BQs were in episode 5. Its even worse since the first two weeks of each UH free field is literally just bait since they'll have better drop rates in the seasonals.
    See thats the issue, ya its cool they don't want to power creep over Lightstream and Atra EX completely just yet but while how minor this might be, they easily did so with Jupiter Tulius+ and Orgei TMGs. Which to me seem's like they're not going to properly balance out these weapons before release and we end up with specific weapons outpowering current top gear, who knows how the craftable 13*'s are going to be once those are out

The messed up EQ schedules are probably due to conflicting interests. Some people are still trying to get the armada LS stone, some need seasonals for CFs or drops, some still need units from persona since that's basically what the LQ bonus is for. They really should just do more unscheduled W&R over the other options.
    I really think they should have put in way more W&R EQ's just in general since seasonals are usually put all over the place and while this one may not have been all that amazing, it did cut into my grinding fodder

The way they're handling the game now feels like they're trying to appeal to new or returning players. There's barely anything to do as a regular/hardcore player.
    This is probably my biggest issue is that they've been doing this all year and a portion end of 2018 with Enchanted Forest being campaign boosted over and over. New Years Carnival gave new and returning and bad rng players a literal 2 months to get caught up with gear again and here we are in the summer doing that all over again not to mention the crazy amount of Persona EQ boosts that happened in between including the one going on now. Cool, I get Sega wants to cater to new/casual players but stop forgetting the hardcore players are still here too and that a 15* Sword/Wand and non existent 13* Camo's are exactly a big motivator to run this LQ for 2months

Quote Originally Posted by silo1991 View Post
    my main complain its the lvl 75 cap restriction , IMO this is not needed anymore due to the requierments of expert mode are more harder now ,also any newbie can get a ray weapon +30 with the Leonita pass and with that they can survive .

a friend dont want to buy a dim hunter weapon or the other 14* series in player shops : just because the features dont call his atention and want something else
    I want the Lv75 cap restrictions to stay because it forces people to slow down and either actually learn the class a bit more or slowly filter them from getting into XH/UH content too fast and just hitting the floor like crazy and thankfully the easy mode Expert Req quests prevent any of these people who spam World Engulfed in Flames LQ all day from getting carried in the 4 man version of the Extreme Quest from getting into Expert matching runs anymore.

I also don't get why your friend doesn't want to buy pretty good 14* weapons from the shop that are actually good starting weapons, theres no reason for any new player or someone who just came back not to do so

also Sega should add an option in the schedule like: in certain hours will be random EQs just because its never enought cubes.
    You have solo PD triggers readily available to run for quick 30-50 cubes a run with an average of 3-8mins per run (obviously based on skill and some rng) and then you have boringass Mother/Deus trig to do any time for lack of cubes. You don't need to sit on EQ's to get cubes, you should have amassed a lot of Badges over the year and if you're running the LQ now, you got badges to exchange for triggers too but the LQ itself actually gives out a pretty good batch every run

also dont you feel story updates has been really lacking in this season ? i mean it has been almost 3 months and still we havent got chapter 1 yet (if the one we started counts as chapter 0)
    we don't even have Ep6's cinematic opening yet, I really don't know what they're doing

If class representation is any indication, and considering the fact that there are more Phantoms because it's the new class, balance seems to be in favour of melee oriented builds. I can't say if classes are balanced in regards to output or ease-of-use, but current content is definitely unbalanced in regards to Players vs Environment, with both sides being way too OP.
    Fighter and Hunter are kinda having it rough in UH content (I don't count W&R in too much), Hero struggling to keep HB with one hit constantly resetting, idk about Bouncer but I think most of the other classes are doing fine.

What's W&R?
    rhetorical question? but wind and rain, if you're joking I did catch it

During the last few weeks it feels that there are less scheduled EQs and more "unscheduled" (or rather unannounced) ones. It's "good" for someone who wants to complete earlier titles (like 30 Dragon Atrum or 30 Apprentize Zia kills), but this requires that the player is available to login when PSO2Alert mentions the EQ.
    I guess its nice to see some of these, however I don't think its nice to see them if they're on the schedule

I also feel that by this point in EP5 we were already working towards the next upgrade over the BiS equipment of the previous episode, or even for specific content (for example Evleda was better for BQ than Qliphad). So far nothing in EP6 has shown to be worthwhile to grind for any content. At least personally the LQ is run so that I purchase the lobby actions that I miss. And unless we upgrade the Cleasis units to Schvelle (with stat upgrades following a linear or better pattern), the whole idea seems to be... useless.
    Pretty much all I've done so far, ran LQ for enough points for free SG scratch choice ticket, grabbed w/e LA's I didn't have, upgraded some Evleda units into Cleasis in the event (which doesn't seem likely) they are upgradeable to Schvelle and pretty much dropped the game outside weeklies.

As cool as the new 4 person Lemon Mech Quest looks that comes in October (because this is like a major quest right?), there isn't going to be much to do even with Beach Wars finally coming (varying how much thats scheduled) and 2 week live Worpal UH fields, theres isnt much really going on.

Like the only thing im looking forward to is the new class at the end of the year, assuming they don't release it again at the same time Phantom was released. 4-5 month class tease was kinda dumb
    Cast - Gt 50, Fg 20, Gm 25
    PSO2 NGS
    Quote Originally Posted by the_importer_ View Post
    Tell you what mate, I'll decide when my topic goes into the QQ post or when it needs to be it's own thing, and you can do the same for yours. Alright, cool. Cheers

I also don't get why your friend doesn't want to buy pretty good 14* weapons from the shop that are actually good starting weapons, theres no reason for any new player or someone who just came back not to do so

we don't even have Ep6's cinematic opening yet, I really don't know what they're doing
    1 the main issue its my friend is still finding with which hunter weapon its good , also i will yell him to buy a dim weapon for god sake

2 i think its because of the budget which again: i keep feeling EP4 damage the game in ways we dont percieve.

its just my perception , i dont have absolute word anyway

my main complain its the lvl 75 cap restriction , IMO this is not needed anymore due to the requierments of expert mode are more harder now ,also any newbie can get a ray weapon +30 with the Leonita pass and with that they can survive .

a friend dont want to buy a dim hunter weapon or the other 14* series in player shops : just because the features dont call his atention and want something else

also Sega should add an option in the schedule like: in certain hours will be random EQs just because its never enought cubes.

also dont you feel story updates has been really lacking in this season ? i mean it has been almost 3 months and still we havent got chapter 1 yet (if the one we started counts as chapter 0)

my main complain its the lvl 75 cap restriction , IMO this is not needed anymore due to the requierments of expert mode are more harder now
    Feel like this is still needed. Level 75 is a good place for these players to learn how to grind a weapon and it's a bit easier now as there are quite a few 13-14 stars on the market to chose from. The grind cap being 35 for 13 star drops help new players get that cap as well, assuming they got lucky and got a drop that early on.

I'll just use this thread as my notepad for what to mention in the next survey. PSO2 broadly has a good formula but there's a lot of small details that need tweaking.

I feel like newer PSO2 is becoming quite inaccessible to newcomers. Numbers wise, yes EXP is easy, Dim is easy, welfare gear is easy but a few things:

First is the affix gap has grown a lot because of Grace boosters, Ether Factor, Mana Reverie, 8S being the norm and things being so focused on making pre-fodders and gambling upslots during boost weeks.

Second is that if you don't have gear to brute force content, you need to memorize a LOT because quest design and enemy design is so busy nowadays. Armada is like, red laser fences, giant red laser mechs, giant red ship lasers, flyby red lasers, things dash around all over the place and rotate and block your camera... there's just too much junk going on nowadays.

Third is getting to the fun as a new player takes way too long. Because of power creep, everything up to Extra Hard is just a bore because you just hold one button and wait for your EXP bar to fill while things insta die. But you have to endure hours of snoozefest to get to the fun... except there's speed bumps along the way. The classes they want people to play are Hero and Phantom which are significantly more responsive and versatile than basic classes, but you need two classes at 75, then you need to grind Hero or Phantom to 85. They don't seem to have learned the lesson from the original "advanced" classes, Fighter, Gunner and Techer. The playerbase was at it's highest after these requirements were lifted.

And the reason I care about newcomers and casuals is they form the bulk of the playerbase - the same playerbase that shrunk hugely in Ep5. Less players = less spenders. Less spenders = less budget. Less budget = less content, and the content right now is seriously awful compared to Ep3 and 4 where it wasn't great but at least enemies weren't just a giant, stiff polygon ship with painted on textures.

Class balance is "ok" on a surface level, in that if you look at a spreadsheet the DPS numbers seem OK. But mechanically it's like, good luck as a Hunter trying to get top DPS when Persona decides to swing around wildly or Masquerade teleports around. It doesn't have the kit because it doesn't have a vertical tracking, homing, superfast gap close. Even Braver's Guren can't hit the right spot nowadays because the time it takes for the second SHING to come out is an eternity for today's enemies. They'll fly or teleport or zoom away and then you hit some silly non-weak spot so your DPS in practice is like, 20% of what it's supposed to be on paper. I don't think old classes are OK, if they were OK we wouldn't have half the playerbase on Hero or Phantom, and wouldn't have this many unhappy Hunters and Bouncers.

Another thing that bugs me about classes is, it's seriously not fun as an old class to be subject to so much more specific gear requirements. Hero and Phantom don't need any special L rings or S4s/Orgei/Jupiter gimmicks, they just work. Meanwhile old classes need this weapon to press this skill for a lower cooldown, then they swap to that other weapon for this S4 for higher damage, then they swap to this other weapon to regenerate PP, then this weapon for Shifta, this one for Deband... it's incredibly clunky.

Also, skill trees are so meaningless now. To me, it should either offer meaningful choices, or just do away with them and offer everything straight up, no choices needed. Right now you pick everything with the oodles of skill points 90 levels can give, so there's no choice but you still need to deal with the admin.

Speaking of admin, there are too many drops now. So the mass tekking and excubing is admin, managing all these stone types is admin, sorting gear for good affixes to save is admin, making affix fodders is admin, all these passes and tickets and crests and expiry dates are also admin... I think most players will want to just hop into the game and kick some ass but you eventually need to sort all the junk you get from a quest and that's seriously not fun.

As far as endgame gear goes, it is what it is - best in slot comes once every 1-2 years, you have your oodles of collection to do. I wish there were multiple parallel paths to different series of gear. Like the Raid EQ Lightstream route should be a fast route to middle-of-the-road gear. Then maybe some solo elitist route to a squishy high damage series, and grinding mobbing UQ/UH is a slow route to a tanky series that can handle chaotic mobbing situations. I'd rather have that than a single route that needs a bit of everything for a single series of best in slot. They had a good system going from Austere to Qliphad, each series was different and had it's own advantages. Some needed a bit more thought but the intent was good and there was always a reason to get a new series' weapon.

As a whole I think they've completely lost the notion of KISS and kept piling random junk on, and they're still piling on even more. Because of that, things are now hard to balance and horribly bloated. They really need to simplify things.

Despite all that ranting, PSO2 is still fun at it's core. There's no other action game quite like it, the aesthetics are dated but the art style lets it age well. It just needs some cleaning up after accumulating 7 years of bloat. The Advanced Quest shops are a start, but there's a lot more to do.
    Last edited by Selphea; Jul 23, 2019 at 04:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Selphea View Post
    snipped to save space
    I really like this post. But as an armchair developer, I have to reply!

1) Affix gap: I think the current affix situation is good. There are stock affixes for 5s/6s which cost a couple million or less and provide a solid 100+ ATK and some other stuff. 8s with great affixes is not the norm, and the vast majority of players either doesn't have one, or has exactly one because of budget issues and bad RNG. The players who run around with S1: <type> Boost, S2, S3 AND 200+ attack are less than 1 in 100. Similarily, 6s units with 200+ atk are also very rare.

The issue with affixes is that an external sim tool is absolutely required for anything that is considered good, because players need to create at least 2 intermediate "waves" of fodder before affixing their actual equipment. I think Sega should try to simplify the process by allowing an infinite amount of fodders instead of just 5 (or at least allow up to 20), and just keep increasing affixing costs per added piece, even if it reaches 1.000.000.000.000 meseta cost for having 20 fodders.

-=EDIT=- A way to also bypass upgrade paths could be helpful, for example getting <Affix> IV or V from many copies of <Affix> I

2) That a lot of stuff is going on is not (for me) an issue, the problem is that content is designed so that:
    - Everything is either a 1-shot or 2-shot.
    - Everything is an interrupt or knockdown.
    - -=EDIT=- "Meta" PAs have baked in Interrupt or Knockdown immunity.
    - Evasive/Defensive actions reduce incoming damage by 100% and incoming status effects by 100%
    - If for any reason a player's HP is not currently at its max value, the opportunity cost to get it to max is so close to 0 that it is practically non-existent.

Because of the above, the current game design for UH and cutting-edge content is to just push it all to 100% damage and press evade on absolutely everything, which also makes it monotonous and uninteresting. There is 0 relevant content (going as lvl90 in daily FQ does not count) where you can try a strategy of facetanking and recuperating during downtime. Affixing for HP or DEF should only happen because an affix has it baked in (for example Mana Reverie). S-abilities that have any defensive factor (for example Guardian Armor) have absolute 0 use.

3) Indeed it is daunting for new players to see how long it takes to reach the highest level and be able to play the relevant content. Maybe Sega should backload exp requirements, by making for example lvl85 reachable with just 10-15 hours of regular play for a new player (this means no keys, no EXP grinding, just flowersniffing), then make the last 5 levels require the same 10-15 hours or extreme EXP grinding (Tokyo Gold keys etc), and then add the 14 extra skill points all purchaseable after lvl90 by grinding level caps (so that a player feels progress even after they reach the level cap).

4) The amount of inventory management in-between EQs / UH FF runs is also getting out of hand as you say. Right now we get over 70 items after any EQ session (and even worse for a 20min UH farming), that we have to untek or check if we'll vendor, or if we sell to other players. Maybe it's time to reduce number of drops as weapons and increase as materials, even if it means that fodder prices will increase in the market.

5) Regarding Skill Trees: I think the issue is that people will either follow the meta, or they are wrong. But this is not a PSO2 problem, this is a community problem and exists in 100% of online games with skill trees. In my opinion Sega should do a bit of cleaning and streamlining of the trees. Skills that provide multiple bonuses should be broken up to different skills. Skills that provide the same bonus should just become one skill (why is there Light Mastery 1 and 2? Just make it Light Mastery with 15/15 providing the 144% modifier).
    Phantom and Summoner should get more skills, even if they're just generic stat buffs, so that 104 points are not enough to fill all non-Main Class skills.
    Non-Main Class skills should not be locked behind Main Class skills (I'm looking at you Summoner).

rhetorical question? but wind and rain, if you're joking I did catch it
    I am not joking, I didn't know we refer to these EQs like that. I have always seen people refer to them as Easter EQ and Raining EQ
    Last edited by Dark Mits; Jul 23, 2019 at 05:11 AM.