Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 89
  1. #11
    Hardcore Casual Dark Mits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Ship 02, B-006
    Posts
    846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Selphea View Post
    snipped to save space
    I really like this post. But as an armchair developer, I have to reply!

    1) Affix gap: I think the current affix situation is good. There are stock affixes for 5s/6s which cost a couple million or less and provide a solid 100+ ATK and some other stuff. 8s with great affixes is not the norm, and the vast majority of players either doesn't have one, or has exactly one because of budget issues and bad RNG. The players who run around with S1: <type> Boost, S2, S3 AND 200+ attack are less than 1 in 100. Similarily, 6s units with 200+ atk are also very rare.

    The issue with affixes is that an external sim tool is absolutely required for anything that is considered good, because players need to create at least 2 intermediate "waves" of fodder before affixing their actual equipment. I think Sega should try to simplify the process by allowing an infinite amount of fodders instead of just 5 (or at least allow up to 20), and just keep increasing affixing costs per added piece, even if it reaches 1.000.000.000.000 meseta cost for having 20 fodders.

    -=EDIT=- A way to also bypass upgrade paths could be helpful, for example getting <Affix> IV or V from many copies of <Affix> I


    2) That a lot of stuff is going on is not (for me) an issue, the problem is that content is designed so that:
    - Everything is either a 1-shot or 2-shot.
    - Everything is an interrupt or knockdown.
    - -=EDIT=- "Meta" PAs have baked in Interrupt or Knockdown immunity.
    - Evasive/Defensive actions reduce incoming damage by 100% and incoming status effects by 100%
    - If for any reason a player's HP is not currently at its max value, the opportunity cost to get it to max is so close to 0 that it is practically non-existent.

    Because of the above, the current game design for UH and cutting-edge content is to just push it all to 100% damage and press evade on absolutely everything, which also makes it monotonous and uninteresting. There is 0 relevant content (going as lvl90 in daily FQ does not count) where you can try a strategy of facetanking and recuperating during downtime. Affixing for HP or DEF should only happen because an affix has it baked in (for example Mana Reverie). S-abilities that have any defensive factor (for example Guardian Armor) have absolute 0 use.


    3) Indeed it is daunting for new players to see how long it takes to reach the highest level and be able to play the relevant content. Maybe Sega should backload exp requirements, by making for example lvl85 reachable with just 10-15 hours of regular play for a new player (this means no keys, no EXP grinding, just flowersniffing), then make the last 5 levels require the same 10-15 hours or extreme EXP grinding (Tokyo Gold keys etc), and then add the 14 extra skill points all purchaseable after lvl90 by grinding level caps (so that a player feels progress even after they reach the level cap).


    4) The amount of inventory management in-between EQs / UH FF runs is also getting out of hand as you say. Right now we get over 70 items after any EQ session (and even worse for a 20min UH farming), that we have to untek or check if we'll vendor, or if we sell to other players. Maybe it's time to reduce number of drops as weapons and increase as materials, even if it means that fodder prices will increase in the market.


    5) Regarding Skill Trees: I think the issue is that people will either follow the meta, or they are wrong. But this is not a PSO2 problem, this is a community problem and exists in 100% of online games with skill trees. In my opinion Sega should do a bit of cleaning and streamlining of the trees. Skills that provide multiple bonuses should be broken up to different skills. Skills that provide the same bonus should just become one skill (why is there Light Mastery 1 and 2? Just make it Light Mastery with 15/15 providing the 144% modifier).
    Phantom and Summoner should get more skills, even if they're just generic stat buffs, so that 104 points are not enough to fill all non-Main Class skills.
    Non-Main Class skills should not be locked behind Main Class skills (I'm looking at you Summoner).


    Quote Originally Posted by Kril View Post
    rhetorical question? but wind and rain, if you're joking I did catch it
    I am not joking, I didn't know we refer to these EQs like that. I have always seen people refer to them as Easter EQ and Raining EQ
    Last edited by Dark Mits; Jul 23, 2019 at 05:11 AM.

  2. #12

    Default

    I hadn't even heard of some of the features mentionned here (advanced quest shops??)

    The new director said he'd go back to the basics, but I'm still waiting. We're getting a few class updates here and there, some tweakings, but then the Orgueil TMG comes along and shits over eveyone and everything else.
    We still have ludicrous i-frames, the convoluted ways of moving faster, the stupidly efficent one-trick ponies, the "grind, little hamster, grind" mecanics, the lack of relevance to the story, the lack of utility to the class system (it all comes down to preferences).
    I also want affixing to become as "easygoing" as NT grinding. (OK maybe my failing a 95% yesterday is influencing this demand).

    The Armada EQ has random parts to it and I love that. It could be more punishing though.
    The EQ system in general could be more punishing (which would make its rewards more rewarding or meaningful, so to speak).

    Right now leveling up is super easy, and that's good for newcomers, but also bad for newcomers. They either learn the latest meta for one class as they level up and become one pattern only players, or they don't and there's nothing left for them if they fail the experts requirements - room availability drops significantly, espescially during LQ seasons.
    (I don't know for anyone else but I think I threw away almost every single bonus key we got for free in the last month)

    I can find 5 slots units pretty easily, and two-years-ago-me would be thrilled, but not now. Too many new equips, too many new affixes we can't even keep... it's sapping me. I'm starting to get tired of it all.
    Oserez-vous percer le mystère de la malédiction ?
    www.hinamizawa.fr

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Mits View Post
    Affixing and enemy damage
    I think we have different opinions on this that come back to the same underlying point. Personally what I've seen is, you actually can go tanky, abuse super armor and facetank everything with a combination of lifesteal S4, Ares Soul, Alter [ATK], Ether Factor+Mana Rev and Flash Guards without sacrificing offense. YouTube solos show people with 2,000+ HP so I don't think even the best players go all ATK all the time anymore.

    Content feels like it's balanced for this level of gearing and some pure ATK affixes like Persona Reverie feel like a bit of a trap because of how much squishier they make you. Yes you can affix >100ATK for cheap but even what works better is the tanky stuff to strategically ignore mechanics and do more damage when needed. So many things have super armor now that if you want to put something down fast, you actually do want to facetank a few things.

    Exp
    Agree with that, and in addition I think players need to be able to select Hero or Phantom at creation. One of them should even be the default class. There should also be some kind of trial to make sure they know how to play their class before letting them into UH levels. A single quest with no entry cost that allows for even the lowest tier class with average gear to complete. Just needs very basic strategy like avoiding nasty things on the floor and hitting things when they're vulnerable, with some mistakes allowed. No need to memorize where to stand or pray for RNG to show a specific pattern or spam iframes. And this can replace the expert req. I don't want to play with "experts", I just want to play with people who know how an action game works.

    4) The amount of inventory management in-between EQs / UH FF runs is also getting out of hand as you say. Right now we get over 70 items after any EQ session (and even worse for a 20min UH farming), that we have to untek or check if we'll vendor, or if we sell to other players. Maybe it's time to reduce number of drops as weapons and increase as materials, even if it means that fodder prices will increase in the market.
    Fodders goes back to affixing, gamble/fail rates and the new 5-fodder multi-step Catalyst affixes. It's such a convoluted system

    5) Regarding Skill Trees: I think the issue is that people will either follow the meta, or they are wrong. But this is not a PSO2 problem, this is a community problem and exists in 100% of online games with skill trees. In my opinion Sega should do a bit of cleaning and streamlining of the trees. Skills that provide multiple bonuses should be broken up to different skills. Skills that provide the same bonus should just become one skill (why is there Light Mastery 1 and 2? Just make it Light Mastery with 15/15 providing the 144% modifier).
    Phantom and Summoner should get more skills, even if they're just generic stat buffs, so that 104 points are not enough to fill all non-Main Class skills.
    Non-Main Class skills should not be locked behind Main Class skills (I'm looking at you Summoner).
    My crazy idea is, give every class the same framework of [Class] All Attack Bonus, one tactical bonus like Tech Arts or Zero Range and one activated skill like Chain Trigger or Limit Break for free, and then offer a few choices to form the build, like more Chain damage or shorter cooldown? Just Guard PP or Healing Guard? And so on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Saffran View Post
    I hadn't even heard of some of the features mentionned here (advanced quest shops??)
    The same shop where you exchange Evelda stones. One of the options buried in there lets you exchange various stones from 6+ year old content for outdated 10⭐ weapons. They're changing the quests to reward Photon Spheres and changing the weapons to camos.
    Last edited by Selphea; Jul 23, 2019 at 06:04 AM.

  4. #14

    Default

    Would be nice for SEGA if they gave us weapon series that wasn't all about dmg increase and enemy damage reduction. Some fun weapons that give you silly, anjd/or weird features would be kinda nice. A weapon that gives you meseta as drops when hit or a weapon that lets you feed it marbled/red meat from the ground via auto-pickup to heal the user.

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kril View Post
    I also don't get why your friend doesn't want to buy pretty good 14* weapons from the shop that are actually good starting weapons, theres no reason for any new player or someone who just came back not to do so

    we don't even have Ep6's cinematic opening yet, I really don't know what they're doing
    1 the main issue its my friend is still finding with which hunter weapon its good , also i will yell him to buy a dim weapon for god sake

    2 i think its because of the budget which again: i keep feeling EP4 damage the game in ways we dont percieve.

    its just my perception , i dont have absolute word anyway

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Mits View Post
    3) Indeed it is daunting for new players to see how long it takes to reach the highest level and be able to play the relevant content. Maybe Sega should backload exp requirements, by making for example lvl85 reachable with just 10-15 hours of regular play for a new player (this means no keys, no EXP grinding, just flowersniffing), then make the last 5 levels require the same 10-15 hours or extreme EXP grinding (Tokyo Gold keys etc), and then add the 14 extra skill points all purchaseable after lvl90 by grinding level caps (so that a player feels progress even after they reach the level cap).
    This would just bring people that would complain about the 85-90 EXP grind. It's not really hard to level as is, it's just that people stress the most efficient and fast ways of doing it and that's not necessarily a good thing. It's not bad to level fast, but when you rush through to end game as fast as possible you get people that don't know what they are doing and that are all the more confused in the end because they didn't take the time to learn things. It's ok for games to have grinds IMO, that's what makes things all the more satisfying in the end. Granted SEGA hasn't really been going with this idea of going slow and taking your time, so why should the players?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Mits View Post
    4) The amount of inventory management in-between EQs / UH FF runs is also getting out of hand as you say. Right now we get over 70 items after any EQ session (and even worse for a 20min UH farming), that we have to untek or check if we'll vendor, or if we sell to other players. Maybe it's time to reduce number of drops as weapons and increase as materials, even if it means that fodder prices will increase in the market.
    This just boils down to the flaws of the current EQ system. You have 30 min to 1 hour a day at specific times of day to obtain relevant items for that specific content and a lot of people don't have time to do certain EQ's because that's how their schedule works out to be. If content was available at all times, drop rates would be significantly less and there would be an option to do content at all times, but that would lead to long wait times and the like.

    SEGA has a ton of tweaks they can make to the game, but we'll see if anything is actually implemented or not

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Selphea View Post
    Content feels like it's balanced for this level of gearing and some pure ATK affixes like Persona Reverie feel like a bit of a trap because of how much squishier they make you. Yes you can affix >100ATK for cheap but even what works better is the tanky stuff to strategically ignore mechanics and do more damage when needed. So many things have super armor now that if you want to put something down fast, you actually do want to facetank a few things.
    I agree that pure attack is not good nowadays, but facetanking things is not the reason why. Affixing HP is really only just to avoid getting one shot or getting killed by a random off-screen attack. Those 2k Hp vids are inflated due to rappy shine and is really only used in endless, which again, is just to avoid getting one shot.

    Face tanking things just isn't effective when countering provides much more benefits(free damage, free pp, faster hero/phantom time gain), especially when half the player base mains an advanced class. Especially hero, where you lose a whopping 60% multiplier if you do try to face tank something. The only time I see face tanking any hit is relevant is for non-counter related classes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Mits View Post
    2) That a lot of stuff is going on is not (for me) an issue, the problem is that content is designed so that:
    - Everything is either a 1-shot or 2-shot.
    - Everything is an interrupt or knockdown.
    - -=EDIT=- "Meta" PAs have baked in Interrupt or Knockdown immunity.
    - Evasive/Defensive actions reduce incoming damage by 100% and incoming status effects by 100%
    - If for any reason a player's HP is not currently at its max value, the opportunity cost to get it to max is so close to 0 that it is practically non-existent.
    I honestly don't see the fun in face tanking hits and spamming life steal. To me, that's even more brain dead than countering/dodging/guarding. Things being 1,2 or maybe even 3 shot is just how the game is meant to be played. The sense of danger promotes fast reactions. This is an action game, not a classic mmo with tanks, healers, dps etc.

  8. #18

    Default

    It's not so much about rushing to endgame making but the journey there fun and relevant. Right now it's downright boring because of the powercreep. PSO2 is supposedly a fun action game but to get to the fun part you need to run around oneshotting weak trash for hours based on outdated level reqs, on 2 slower classes that play nothing like the classes they want you to play in the end.

    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinDeer View Post
    I agree that pure attack is not good nowadays, but facetanking things is not the reason why. Affixing HP is really only just to avoid getting one shot or getting killed by a random off-screen attack. Those 2k Hp vids are inflated due to rappy shine and is really only used in endless, which again, is just to avoid getting one shot.
    They don't really counter all that much for mobbing, the duo Armada was just, affix lots of HP and spam AoEs with iframes, if you get hit you get hit, just heal it back with lifesteal.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpyPrSfi8dU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYbh6wxIljo
    Last edited by Selphea; Jul 23, 2019 at 11:27 AM.

  9. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Selphea View Post
    It's not so much about rushing to endgame making but the journey there fun and relevant. Right now it's downright boring because of the powercreep. PSO2 is supposedly a fun action game but to get to the fun part you need to run around oneshotting weak trash for hours based on outdated level reqs, on 2 slower classes that play nothing like the classes they want you to play in the end.
    It's definitely a different experience when you first start the game compared to later on and definitely boring early on. They should slow down for the sake of new players but at the same time, slowing down would make end game content stagnate I would imagine. SEGA created this mess so it's their job to balance this out....but it's SEGA though so that almost guaranteed won't happen.

  10. #20
    Hardcore Casual Dark Mits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Ship 02, B-006
    Posts
    846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinDeer View Post
    I honestly don't see the fun in face tanking hits and spamming life steal. To me, that's even more brain dead than countering/dodging/guarding. Things being 1,2 or maybe even 3 shot is just how the game is meant to be played. The sense of danger promotes fast reactions. This is an action game, not a classic mmo with tanks, healers, dps etc.
    Don't get me wrong, I am also against Lifesteal being so OP that it allows facetanking. By facetanking I don't mean "I stand still and get hit by everything without dying", I mean that the player can take quite a few hits (5-10) before dying, and similarily lifesteal / passive healing options should take a proportionally long time to get the player back to full to avoid the situation of "facetanking". Also, some hits should definitely be more damaging that others. This would add depth and strategy in addition to the current action combat of having to decide if it's better to avoid or take a hit and which in order to maximize efficiency. Right now, the current trend/meta is to facetank up to 0 or 1 hit (I intentionally express it like this).

    Now if someone happens to also have a friend who enjoys spamming Resta, then yes, facetanking in the sense that everything can hit me without dying should be a "viable" technique (until the "healer" runs out of PP).


    Quote Originally Posted by UniverseLover View Post
    This would just bring people that would complain about the 85-90 EXP grind. It's not really hard to level as is, it's just that people stress the most efficient and fast ways of doing it and that's not necessarily a good thing. It's not bad to level fast, but when you rush through to end game as fast as possible you get people that don't know what they are doing and that are all the more confused in the end because they didn't take the time to learn things. It's ok for games to have grinds IMO, that's what makes things all the more satisfying in the end. Granted SEGA hasn't really been going with this idea of going slow and taking your time, so why should the players?
    The reason I chose lvl85 is because that is the level at which current UH content is accessible (I am not aware of any content requiring lvl90, please correct me if there is). This way players will get to the "end game" quickly even if they have not learned the ropes; but then they can start to discover the game, while at the same time also getting the last few levels and additional skill points. In my opinion, the complaints would stem mostly from players who are levelling alts or new classes, but with the overabundance of keys and rewards it should not be a problem, at least not worse than the current situation. My suggestion does not eliminate the grind, it just postpones it to take place at the same time as the "interesting" part of the game (max level content).
    Last edited by Dark Mits; Jul 23, 2019 at 01:39 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. State of the Game
    By zanotam in forum PSU General
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: Apr 29, 2007, 06:14 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: Aug 1, 2006, 04:11 PM
  3. In your opinion what is the Best weapon in the game?
    By MegaMan_The_HUcast in forum PSO: Mag, Quest, Item and Section ID
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Feb 20, 2003, 04:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •