Quote Originally Posted by Krystalwitch View Post
So, with that in mind, what should be considered as more correct? An official source, which does actually give room to think that, even if not flawless, it's mostly well done in regards of naming romanization... or any type of fan translation that changes names with no real reason at all and deliberately ignoring official sources? So let me insist that it's not that much a matter of preference but more like official vs fan source.
Ok so some food for thought.
- translating is always betraying and interpreting the source material to adapt it into the target language. There is no such thing as a "right" or "correct" answer. It's really more of an "akwardness" scale level.
- When translating you're constantly faced with dilemmas, and one of them is how much you betray the original source to make sense in the target language. the "darker" vs "falspawn" deal is a perfect example of that. The first one attempts to stay true and consistent to the original word while the other chooses to forsake the original word for a new one that gives more context, but also strays from the original. You can't argue either is better, as it will literally depend on people. Some will prefer darker because it sounds nice and directly convey the menace aspect of these beasties + the dark vs photon opposition just makes sense, while "falspawn" sounds more akward. Others will prefer "falspawn" because it directly tells you there is a bigger baddie behind said beasties. the "profound" vs "unfathomable" and other changes follow the exact same logic.

All of this rambling to say that basically as long as the translation makes sense and at least conveys the original message/doesn't miss any meaning or reference, then it's all good. So far I agree most of the official translation choices made sense although I sometimes prefer some of the fan translation as well.