Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 231
  1. #81
    PSO Assassin Shear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Place of Weissbier and People with funny accents
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Mits View Post
    Also, how do we know that when it says "73 year old", it's the same 73 years as in real life Earth timekeeping? Common videogame ease-of-use convention?
    Pretty much, it seems mostly accurate at least considering what we have seen from the characters ... mostly. I mean we have Characters like Zeno who do look like they age and then we have ones Like Stratos and Marlu who look considerable younger than they are.

  2. #82
    Garbage-chan Kondibon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    In her garbage can.
    Posts
    9,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Mits View Post
    This reminds me of Rika in Phantasy Star IV, who had her age explicitly stated to be 1, as in born this year (or the previous?) while looking as a full grown adult.
    I wonder why they wouldn't want people to know then./s By stand out though, I mostly meant that it would make certain things about her more obvious.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Mits View Post
    Also, how do we know that when it says "73 year old", it's the same 73 years as in real life Earth timekeeping? Common videogame ease-of-use convention?
    Yes.
    Last edited by Kondibon; Oct 11, 2019 at 03:59 AM.

  3. #83

    Default

    It's provably classified because it's not public that Claris is a clone, and we don't really know when was she "born", only when the original was kidnapped (10 years ago).

  4. #84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EspeonageTieler View Post
    Not to say you are wrong but this also doesn't mean that sega of japan didn't just miss translate the names them selves.
    It's still way more official than an english patch done by fans, and as long as they even bothered to do an official romanization... it should be respected.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kondibon View Post
    How so?
    tl;dr they discovered darkers way before knowing what is a falz, and of course didn't know their origin... so no way they could have called darkers "falspawn" without knowing that, plus considering ARKS is a military organization, changing the name of their main enemy after knowing that would definitely counter-productive for efficiency and get confusing for many, many members.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kondibon View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them are google translated actually. Google translate has a REALLY easy time phonetically transcribing Katakana, but it isn't always accurate to how the word that's meant to be transcribed. The thing that made me think this is Sarah's name having an H in it. It's a relatively common spelling for that name, but not how you usually transcribe those kana, so it's the kind of thing google translate would do for a common word, but for words and names that aren't normally rendered in Katakana, it just opproximates the phonetics.
    Go ahead and try for yourself in that case, but let me tell you it doesn't actually happen that way. (For example, サラ is actually left as Sara, but, as you said, Sarah is a common spelling for the name so thats most probably why they used that one instead of, you know, google translating it)

    In any case, almost all names are actually phonetically accurate and well-written so far (with only 3 exceptions, all from Ep4: Aratron and Hagith ("Aratoron" and "Haggith"), although these last two are inaccurate thanks to a wrong source in japanese, and Pietro (which is "Pietoro" smh, but it might be related to the previous mispelling of トロ in Aratron's name),.) I feel it might be because of getting used to the patch translations but, yeah.

  5. #85
    Garbage-chan Kondibon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    In her garbage can.
    Posts
    9,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krystalwitch View Post
    tl;dr they discovered darkers way before knowing what is a falz, and of course didn't know their origin... so no way they could have called darkers "falspawn" without knowing that, plus considering ARKS is a military organization, changing the name of their main enemy after knowing that would definitely counter-productive for efficiency and get confusing for many, many members.
    There's a multiple hundred year long gap between Falz being discovered and the ARKS militarizing if we're going to be scrutinizing the timeline for this.

    EDIT: I'm not even that attached to Falspawn specifically, I just think Darker sounds clunky in english.

    Quote Originally Posted by Krystalwitch View Post
    Go ahead and try for yourself in that case, but let me tell you it doesn't actually happen that way. (For example, サラ is actually left as Sara, but, as you said, Sarah is a common spelling for the name so thats most probably why they used that one instead of, you know, google translating it)
    You're right, but ultimately my point was that something like Sarah is a lot easier to transcribe than a lot of the other names. Especially since they're based on obscure stuff like goetic demons and minor planetoids.

    Quote Originally Posted by Krystalwitch View Post
    In any case, almost all names are actually phonetically accurate and well-written so far (with only 3 exceptions, all from Ep4: Aratron and Hagith ("Aratoron" and "Haggith"), although these last two are inaccurate thanks to a wrong source in japanese, and Pietro (which is "Pietoro" smh, but it might be related to the previous mispelling of トロ in Aratron's name),.) I feel it might be because of getting used to the patch translations but, yeah.
    Most of the phonetic stuff doesn't even bother me much tbh, I just kinda get tired of people trying to pull the "well sega said it's spelled like this, so that's how it's spelled" thing, when a lot of these names are clearly based on real life stuff with established spellings in english.
    Last edited by Kondibon; Oct 11, 2019 at 10:26 AM.

  6. #86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kondibon View Post

    If you're actually curious, it's because Klaris is a clone, which means she's at most 10 years old, probably younger and that would stand out, especially since she's meant to look about Sarah's age. Lisa is actually the first Cast ever so she's possibly older than Maria and Regius.
    i knew that , its just curious EP2 thematic was political corruption , why Luther simply never make a fake birth record , false documents and all that stuff

    and for Lisa thats new data for EP6 and Maybe Lisa fake her age pretending to be younger like anybody who takes years away XD

  7. #87
    The Lone Gamer of the Apockalypse Zorak000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    hi
    Posts
    1,625

    Default

    from what I've been told; the existence of Dark Falz was apparently classified information, so general ARKS members shouldn't know what a Falz even is.

    I still prefer the name Falspawn however


    In regards to the character names; at least up until the end of episode 3, the majority of ARKS characters were named after a minor planet; which was a relatively small list back in 2012 compared to where it is now.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...1%E2%80%931000 you should be able to find them in the first 1000 of them here, but if not you can spot some more here: https://www.minorplanetcenter.net/ia...s/MPNames.html

    I could have sworn ol' gurtmurt and sina were on the list somewhere, I'll have to go dig up the post from the old translation team about the subject. I know Lisa wasn't on the list though...
    EDIT: yeah here it was: http://psumods.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=206#p3339 still, they only mentioned a few select npcs
    Last edited by Zorak000; Oct 12, 2019 at 11:50 AM.

  8. #88

    Default

    Regarding the name changes, most of them are harmless or can simply be classified in the "Aeris or Aerith" case. The term Darker however is a totally different story because:

    1- Everyone who knows what PSO2 is knows they're called Darkers
    2- You can clearly hear that they're called Darkers in the Japanese dialog
    3- Sentai's localisation of the previous anime called them Darkers
    4- You know that this is just Funimation's wokeness that forced the new name probably thinking that it sounds racist or something
    5- They'll be in deep shit if SEGA decides to keep the term in the localized version of PSO2 cause they won't match

    I was already on the fence on this anime because quite frankly, taking an RPG where your character design is the hero doesn't translate well to a TV show or movie (especially for the 75% of us who make female characters), but if Funimation is going to go on that route, I'd rather import the Japanese Blu-Rays instead of supporting them on that one.
    Fan Art of my Character & Matoi Defending a City
    Spoiler!

  9. #89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_importer_ View Post
    3- Sentai's localisation of the previous anime called them Darkers
    That's a good point. Changing it at this point just makes it inconsistent with what westerners who haven't played the game have been exposed to so far.

    Also I don't get the argument "Darker sounds awkward when spoken in English" These are Subs not Dubs. How it sounds is completely irrelevant.

  10. #90

    Default

    they can call it D Arker lol

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 24
    Last Post: Oct 6, 2019, 04:50 PM
  2. Replies: 110
    Last Post: Jan 5, 2018, 01:30 AM
  3. Replies: 94
    Last Post: Aug 26, 2014, 11:18 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: Apr 7, 2014, 02:51 AM
  5. Replies: 22
    Last Post: Jun 14, 2002, 05:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •