Page 32 of 46 FirstFirst ... 222930313233343542 ... LastLast

Maybe it's because I'm translating every meaning of Unfathomable and Profound to spanish, but while the japanese word could be translated to both (and many others depending on context) I feel like each word in English has a different impact and range of meanings, the classic one being interpreted as something more "physical" and the new translation something more "incomprehensible".

I like how the fansub decided on the classic one, but I don't think "easiness of speech" should have more weigh than an accurate translation. For easiness of speech they changed names in many games, like Kazama to Fuma in early Yakuza localizations, because someone though "people will be confused if the main character is named Kazuma and his boss is named Kazama, amirite?"

Edit: I just saw the recap, and they say Profound, it was the funimation version, so where did this come from?
    Last edited by landman; Dec 31, 2019 at 04:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by landman View Post

I just saw the recap, and they say Profound, it was the funimation version, so where did this come from?
    The same place falspawn came from.

Muse Asia, i think that kinda went over their head when Muse Asia made the sub lol.
    test

Quote Originally Posted by Reilet View Post
    The same place falspawn came from.
    Falspawn came from the funimation subs though.

Maybe it's because I'm translating every meaning of Unfathomable and Profound to spanish, but while the japanese word could be translated to both (and many others depending on context) I feel like each word in English has a different impact and range of meanings, the classic one being interpreted as something more "physical" and the new translation something more "incomprehensible".
    That's getting kinda pedantic, neither word is used often for their original meanings in normal english speech, they're almost entirely used poetically nowadays.

I like how the fansub decided on the classic one, but I don't think "easiness of speech" should have more weigh than an accurate translation. For easiness of speech they changed names in many games, like Kazama to Fuma in early Yakuza localizations, because someone though "people will be confused if the main character is named Kazuma and his boss is named Kazama, amirite?"
    That's an entirely different thing. That's literally changing a characters name to something entirely different, it's not even a translation, it's localization, because the name never needed a translation in that context in the first place. Choosing between "Unfathomable" and "Profound" is like choosing between "big" and "large". Sure they have slightly different connotations, but most people aren't going to pick up on that, and the original japanese word can refer to both. And at that point, I think ease of speech IS the deciding factor.
    Last edited by Kondibon; Dec 31, 2019 at 09:55 AM.

Episode 13 preview:
    https://pso2.jp/anime_eporacle/story/13/

Seems like it's time for Regius' absolute order.
    PSO2 EN (Ship 1): Johana
    PSO2 JP (Ship 2): Johana, Ezodagrom, Luppi, Lana, Yukari, Blune, Elysia, Elena
    PSU EN/JP: Johana, Blune, Ezodagrom, Luppi/Johana, Lana

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ezodagrom
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ezodagrom

https://twitter.com/ANIME_PSO2/statu...59797339910145

Another preview for next chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kondibon View Post
    That's getting kinda pedantic, neither word is used often for their original meanings in normal english speech, they're almost entirely used poetically nowadays.

That's an entirely different thing. That's literally changing a characters name to something entirely different, it's not even a translation, it's localization, because the name never needed a translation in that context in the first place. Choosing between "Unfathomable" and "Profound" is like choosing between "big" and "large". Sure they have slightly different connotations, but most people aren't going to pick up on that, and the original japanese word can refer to both. And at that point, I think ease of speech IS the deciding factor.
    Funny thing is that the official name is actually Unfathomable Darkness, as you can check in its BGM name in PSO2 OST vol.4 (also most BGM names are written in english so there's no mistaking it)
    Here, have some sources for that:
    Spoiler!

Plus, it's not about "ease of speech" but about how the words chosen are actually important. It's about not "big" and "large" but about "big" and "something so huge and deep we cannot even measure or comprehend its power", because do not forget that Unfathomable Darkness is a failed copy of Xion, an omniscient being. Leaving it only to be "Profound" loses at least 4 connotations to the word that are important to define how dangerous is that monster.

Don't look only at the words but look as well as to why did they choose that word over another one... mostly because japanese media loves playing with words and PSO2 is by no means an exception. As for how poetic they can get, just look, for example, at all Genesis weapons' names, Dark Falz names (specially Double and Persona, which are said as such but written as "Twins" and "Mask" in japanese, respectively), whenever they refer to Xion as "Source of all Knowledge" in text yet just say "Xion"(they did that in the most recent EP6 chapter btw)... And many, many more.

(In fact, now that I noticed: Just look at next anime's chapter name: 「絶対令(アビス)」
    The name is just 絶対令 (Absolute Order), as we can see in their official website ( https://pso2.jp/anime_eporacle/story/13/ ), but as usual in japanese media, 絶対令 is the written word while アビス (Abyss) is the spoken word. (iirc they do that in-game too))

So tl;dr Unfathomable is not only the official name but way more fitting by its definition, as well as the setting and how much they've been playing with words so poetically that could perfectly be considered on chuuni level.

Quote Originally Posted by Krystalwitch View Post
    https://twitter.com/ANIME_PSO2/statu...59797339910145

Another preview for next chapter.

Funny thing is that the official name is actually Unfathomable Darkness, as you can check in its BGM name in PSO2 OST vol.4 (also most BGM names are written in english so there's no mistaking it)
    Here, have some sources for that:
    Spoiler!

Plus, it's not about "ease of speech" but about how the words chosen are actually important. It's about not "big" and "large" but about "big" and "something so huge and deep we cannot even measure or comprehend its power", because do not forget that Unfathomable Darkness is a failed copy of Xion, an omniscient being. Leaving it only to be "Profound" loses at least 4 connotations to the word that are important to define how dangerous is that monster.

Don't look only at the words but look as well as to why did they choose that word over another one... mostly because japanese media loves playing with words and PSO2 is by no means an exception. As for how poetic they can get, just look, for example, at all Genesis weapons' names, Dark Falz names (specially Double and Persona, which are said as such but written as "Twins" and "Mask" in japanese, respectively), whenever they refer to Xion as "Source of all Knowledge" in text yet just say "Xion"(they did that in the most recent EP6 chapter btw)... And many, many more.

(In fact, now that I noticed: Just look at next anime's chapter name: 「絶対令(アビス)」
    The name is just 絶対令 (Absolute Order), as we can see in their official website ( https://pso2.jp/anime_eporacle/story/13/ ), but as usual in japanese media, 絶対令 is the written word while アビス (Abyss) is the spoken word. (iirc they do that in-game too))

So tl;dr Unfathomable is not only the official name but way more fitting by its definition, as well as the setting and how much they've been playing with words so poetically that could perfectly be considered on chuuni level.
    Profound and Unfathomable mean the same thing in this context though, they're synonyms, that's why I compared it to "big" and "large". There's nuances to the exact definitions but for the purposes of the context the presentation is more important than the dictionary definition anyway.
    Also, the examples you gave of other stuff I already mentioned as not being the same thing because they're actually read differently than the Kanji usually are. The characters never say the words "Profound Darkness" OR "Unfathomable Darkness" EVER ingame; the Kanji is read how it normally would be in japanese "Shinen naru Yami".
    I mentioned the OST track title already, and while I think there's nothing wrong with using it as a point of reference, deciding that it's the "official" term is ignoring the fact that a lot of the names are english words being used by japanese people for japanese people. Do you honestly think they were thinking about the semantic details of exact definitions for the title of an OST track?

TLDR: Anyone who thinks there's a right answer between the two for a reason other than personal preference is reading way too much into it.
    Last edited by Kondibon; Jan 4, 2020 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kondibon View Post
    I mentioned the OST track title already, and while I think there's nothing wrong with using it as a point of reference, deciding that it's the "official" term is ignoring the fact that a lot of the names are english words being used by japanese people for japanese people. Do you honestly think they were thinking about the semantic details of exact definitions for the title of an OST track?
    Considering they had no real need to have almost all names in english when their audience is japanese, yes, why not. Because it's not only this track, but many of them (in EP5 they also made the effort to create a fantasy language and used it for all their tracks), plus many of the stuff in-game, including actually putting up a romanization from katakana for every character name in every EP credits.

Them being japanese and not having english as their first languages may lead to some mistakes, of course.... but that doesn't mean they have done a half-assed work on it... and let me insist that they really had no need to do most of that, so I believe that as fans we should respect their work. As they gave us english names and terminology, it seems way too conceited neglecting using them and changing them with no real reason besides "they are japanese doing stuff in english", as if they were uncapable of providing a nicely done work and/or by having english as your first language makes you automatically better (which isn't the case with any language btw, I've seen non-native speakers talking way better than native ones).

So yes, if the creators themselves gave us english names for characters, entities and such, the only reason to not use them without changes is by identifying a blatant mistake (such as "Aratoron", for we know that that group of characters have their names taken from the seven olympian spirits and it should be Aratron instead, a romanization mistake). It's not about preference but about respecting the work in these circumstances.

I would not trust every "official" romanization, or use of foreign words in every japanese source, as said, they use if for japanese users, I'm sure every english, spanish or german speaker that read Bleach (for example) on a source that did not properly correct all the jargon in those languages would not take the original source as correct but as the author using google translate to make cool sounding names for his work. Best case scenario the localisation will point the error to the original author, and will discuss the meaning and correct it for the new audience. In the case of PD they choose to use the classic name in PSIV, I would not be surprised if the one who named the soundtrack didn't even care to check the official localisation in the classic game.

"Hey, you heard about the rumors about that Ash guy?"

"What did he do?"

"I dunno! They didn't clarify exactly what he did but they said it was pretty bad"

"That sounds incredibly vague and suspicious. Should we take this with a huge grain of salt and wait until we know exactly what he supposedly did?"

"NOPE! I mean, its not like the government are ever capable of lies. Let's all be a dick to him for no reason at all! Everyone else is doing the same!.... well, except for conveniently the most beautiful women in the fleets..."