Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LordKaiser View Post
    My main issue with Windows 10mis that all versions except the Edu and Enterprise will constantly nags you to update and it loves to collect data no matter how you manage the data collection settings. Practically Microsoft is taking my control away from the PC. Also we probably are using Windows 12 without knowing since now it install a whole build on top of the old one. I don't like services and subscriptions, I rather have self contained products instead.
    Clearly you have not kept up to date with Windows 10 news in a while:

Spoiler!

Of course, this last setting is for the boomers who still think that you should leave a PC turn on 24/7. For people who know that it's better to turn off a PC before going to bed, this setting has always been available in Windows 10 (as far as I can recall anyway):

Spoiler!

Is short, the Windows updates will install when you shutdown your computer before going to bed as long as you go to sleep before 2:00 in the morning.
    Fan Art of my Character & Matoi Defending a City
    Spoiler!

I really hate the windows 10 update methods. The option to definitely turn them off didnt come until a patch a few years later. Thankfully I managed to turn them off since 2015 with folder permissions. Everything has been working smooth since then.

However, I recently upgraded into a better specs PC but this one came very up to date to my dismay, and wouldnt let me install the nvidia drivers properly. Not even older versions I had saved; had to download DCH ones because the standard ones didnt work. Turns out when you use DCH ones, you still need to download crap from the microsoft store, which is also tied to the windows update.

So basically, once you update pass a certain point, you are forced to keep updating or stuff just stops working. And thats a big problem considering some updates can randomly mess up already working stuff, which is why I prefer to avoid them. Thankfully I wont need to update this PC anymore, but this OS has been a real pain :/

There's also the thing where windows will forcefully undo any registry edits you do for whatever reason with updates so

and there is other invasive/totalitarian shit that windows 10 will do that i cant remember off the top of my head in which that OS and permanently fuck off for all i care

To throw fuel in the fire...

It's amazing how many people dislike Windows10 for their data collection schemes, but are fine with Win7 which didn't even give users the option to disable data collection. The whole fiasco is exactly because Win10 came upfront during installation about it, when it asked users for either Basic or Full data collection, while at the same time Win7 was coded to be Full from the get-go and required changing system settings, registry manipulation and explicit firewall rules to block it.

Also how many people who don't like Win10 actually use Google isntead of Duckduckgo? How many have facebook or instagram? How many are using all these "change your look app by uploading to us your photographs and giving us your full location and habits details"?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Mits View Post
    To throw fuel in the fire...

It's amazing how many people dislike Windows10 for their data collection schemes, but are fine with Win7 which didn't even give users the option to disable data collection. The whole fiasco is exactly because Win10 came upfront during installation about it, when it asked users for either Basic or Full data collection, while at the same time Win7 was coded to be Full from the get-go and required changing system settings, registry manipulation and explicit firewall rules to block it.

Also how many people who don't like Win10 actually use Google isntead of Duckduckgo? How many have facebook or instagram? How many are using all these "change your look app by uploading to us your photographs and giving us your full location and habits details"?
    Ya, but hating Windows 10 is what all of the cool kids are into these days, never mind the fact that they gave Windows 10 away for free as an upgrade for like 3 years.
    Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by the_importer_ View Post
    Ya, but hating Windows 10 is what all of the cool kids are into these days, never mind the fact that they gave Windows 10 away for free as an upgrade for like 3 years.
    Remember the number-1 rule. Ok, two number-1 rules. "There is no free meal" and "If something is free, you are the product." The free migration to Win10 was not a sign of goodwill from Microsoft. The intent was to bring more people to their Store (I forgot what it's called, Windows Store?) where there are all sorts of apps and games. It was a calculated move. Still, this should not detract from the fact that data collection has been a thing for a very long time. I think the last Win-based system that didn't collect user data was Win2000? Even WinXP was found to have user-monitoring services.

At the same time, many people forget that the only reason this whole monitoring exists is for pure advertising reasons. Google, Microsoft etc. do not collect data so that they can use it against you, they want to know what will have more chances of being purchased by you. I also do not agree with the methology of always-online and smart devices that record our voice even when we "turn them offline", but they are trying to maximize their profits and reduce their costs.

telemetry has existed in windows for a while, but what they collect is prob more the issue vs the act of collection.

that being said, that was the least of my issues personally.

people dislike win10 for more than just the data collection so there's a reason why its "popular to hate on win10" or w/e nonsense that statement amounts to.

Quote Originally Posted by the_importer_ View Post
    Clearly you have not kept up to date with Windows 10 news in a while:

Spoiler!

Of course, this last setting is for the boomers who still think that you should leave a PC turn on 24/7. For people who know that it's better to turn off a PC before going to bed, this setting has always been available in Windows 10 (as far as I can recall anyway):

Spoiler!

Is short, the Windows updates will install when you shutdown your computer before going to bed as long as you go to sleep before 2:00 in the morning.
    Both of those settings are a bad joke. "Pause updates" is actually for feature updates, but everything that Microsoft pushes as "important" still goes through, including updates that destroy your Documents folder.
    And Active hours has a forced amount of max hours, meaning that if you have a large, flexible schedule (say between 6am and 3am next day), then you better start saving often, since it'll eventually just turn off on you. In older versions, it didn't even respect that setting for "important" updates, and would restart in the middle of the day, even while I was using it.

Nowadays, I just blocked off updates completely. If there's something I REALLY need to get (which is very, very rare), then I just download that specific update manually.
    Do you have ANY bug in PSO2? Are you creating yet another thread about how you can't take screenshots, your game crashes, or textures are missing AGAIN? Do you NOT search the forum before asking? Then the L.A.W. FIX is for YOU!

It's EASY! Just go: Tweaker -> [!] button -> Other tasks -> Enable Large Address Aware, and you're DONE! Just remember to do it EVERY UPDATE!

The only Windows 10 version that seems to give me control at least like Windows 7 is the Enterprise version of Windows 10 that for me it would be impossible to have legally.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoterxx View Post
    Both of those settings are a bad joke. "Pause updates" is actually for feature updates, but everything that Microsoft pushes as "important" still goes through, including updates that destroy your Documents folder.
    And Active hours has a forced amount of max hours, meaning that if you have a large, flexible schedule (say between 6am and 3am next day), then you better start saving often, since it'll eventually just turn off on you. In older versions, it didn't even respect that setting for "important" updates, and would restart in the middle of the day, even while I was using it.

Nowadays, I just blocked off updates completely. If there's something I REALLY need to get (which is very, very rare), then I just download that specific update manually.
    As someone who spent over 4 weeks after August's cumulative update broke our software (every VB6 software in the world stopped working) and dealing with angry customers that were running Windows 7 or above, trust me, I can tell you that you are plain wrong on this.

Yes, Windows 10 1809's "pause updates for a week" allowed some updates through, however, 1903's new feature doesn't, hence why all of our customers in 1903 (the last build where MS fixed their previous fuck-up) kept calling us asking if they could reactivate their updates, implying that the broken update didn't reinstall unlike the other Windows 10 builds.
    Spoiler!