Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by the_importer_ View Post
    As someone who spent over 4 weeks after August's cumulative update broke our software (every VB6 software in the world stopped working) and dealing with angry customers that were running Windows 7 or above, trust me, I can tell you that you are plain wrong on this.

Yes, Windows 10 1809's "pause updates for a week" allowed some updates through, however, 1903's new feature doesn't, hence why all of our customers in 1903 (the last build where MS fixed their previous fuck-up) kept calling us asking if they could reactivate their updates, implying that the broken update didn't reinstall unlike the other Windows 10 builds.
    So I'm not wrong, it just got fixed in 1903. Then again, I wouldn't know, my only 1903 install runs offline.
    And still, why remove the option to block updates entirely, when that option was already present in previous Windows versions? Why can't I NOT have a specific update? I lost count to how many times I had to uninstall the wrong sound card drivers, because every time it checked for any update, it would try to install the damn thing again, and it wouldn't let me block it. This feature was present in Windows 7 and previous. I could simply untick the update to not install it. Why can't we have both the easy automatic version, and the manual installation process?

I'll tell you why: because it's in their interest to make changes to your system to suit THEIR needs. They can shove whatever new app they want, add whatever telemetry they need, remove whatever blocking software/method we add. Nowadays, I don't even consider HOSTS to block anything.
    I don't even care about whatever data they get from me, but it's intrusive as hell, and we lost a lot of control over the software we own.

Oh, I'm sorry, do we actually own it anymore? Wasn't it supposed to be a service now?
    Do you have ANY bug in PSO2? Are you creating yet another thread about how you can't take screenshots, your game crashes, or textures are missing AGAIN? Do you NOT search the forum before asking? Then the L.A.W. FIX is for YOU!

It's EASY! Just go: Tweaker -> [!] button -> Other tasks -> Enable Large Address Aware, and you're DONE! Just remember to do it EVERY UPDATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoterxx View Post
    So I'm not wrong, it just got fixed in 1903.
    *Facepalm* You're not winning any awards here, that first picture was from build 1903 which was released back in May.

Then again, I wouldn't know, my only 1903 install runs offline.
    And still, why remove the option to block updates entirely, when that option was already present in previous Windows versions? Why can't I NOT have a specific update? I lost count to how many times I had to uninstall the wrong sound card drivers, because every time it checked for any update, it would try to install the damn thing again, and it wouldn't let me block it. This feature was present in Windows 7 and previous. I could simply untick the update to not install it. Why can't we have both the easy automatic version, and the manual installation process?
    Not going to argue that I don't miss not being able to block updates that I don't want manually. They should at least consider doing it for drivers. Oh well, baby steps I guess.

I'll tell you why: because it's in their interest to make changes to your system to suit THEIR needs. They can shove whatever new app they want, add whatever telemetry they need, remove whatever blocking software/method we add. Nowadays, I don't even consider HOSTS to block anything.
    I don't even care about whatever data they get from me, but it's intrusive as hell, and we lost a lot of control over the software we own.
    I'm going to reply to this one with this quote:

Spoiler!

Oh, I'm sorry, do we actually own it anymore? Wasn't it supposed to be a service now?
    You remind me of a customer back in 2002-2003 who came to the computer and electronic store where I worked. He was looking for a VHS tape rewinder (the kind that video stores use to have, ... when we had video stores). I told him that we do not carry this and when he asked me why, I answered because we're in the age of DVDs now, that most people aren't looking for this anymore and that we'd more than likely, be stuck with such a device for a long time if we were to carry it.

He pretty much answered what you did, saying that it's not right to force new technology down people's throat. I replied that we're not forcing anything on anyone, you want to keep using your VCR, you go right headed, no one's stopping you, but in return, don't ask others to stay behind with you if they want something new and up to date.

Moral of the story for you, feel free to pull the Ethernet cord from your Windows 7 PC next January, it will still run. That being said, don't go crying to Nvidia and game developers if they stop supporting that OS.
    Fan Art of my Character & Matoi Defending a City
    Spoiler!

*Facepalm* You're not winning any awards here, that first picture was from build 1903 which was released back in May.
    The heck? You said that it was plain wrong, and I told you why it wasn't.

He pretty much answered what you did, saying that it's not right to force new technology down people's throat.
    That is completely off the point. Windows 10's analogy would be the VCR still in vogue, and suddenly Microsoft shows up at your house and smashes your VCR with a hammer, and says it's an update. It's not keeping maintenance for your product, it's modifying it without your consent. And your solution is akin to locking all the doors and windows forever to prevent that from happening, without you or anyone else entering or leaving the house.
    Do you have ANY bug in PSO2? Are you creating yet another thread about how you can't take screenshots, your game crashes, or textures are missing AGAIN? Do you NOT search the forum before asking? Then the L.A.W. FIX is for YOU!

It's EASY! Just go: Tweaker -> [!] button -> Other tasks -> Enable Large Address Aware, and you're DONE! Just remember to do it EVERY UPDATE!

The Place of Weissbier and People with funny accents

Alright time for my I assume unpopular opinion. While I myself changed the settings to one I'm more comfortable with I appreciate the fact that at least Security updates are forced on the User. It has potential to greatly reduces the cases I handled at work, like my favorite the Windows XP Machine with pretty much zero updates and what I'm convinced is every Virus. The usual answer why it's not updated is "It's such a hassle". This way less IT knowledgable are kind of forced to update and Security updates at least do exist for a reason. I do acknowledge though that Microsoft tends to break a lot of stuff with it's feature updates which I usually wait 1-2 weeks before installing those ... if not longer in case they break shit bad.