Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by otakun View Post
    This is not a new mechanic, PSO2 already has this for enemies and bosses. Fire for the banthers, ice for meduna, and such.
    I think they mean it's built into the weapon's damage type now, instead of a status effect affix. So we won't just be having Light weapons for days.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurorra View Post
    I think they mean it's built into the weapon's damage type now, instead of a status effect affix. So we won't just be having Light weapons for days.
    Yeah, exactly. Looks like they're trying to make other elements actually viable.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclon View Post
    "Just distance" for Ranger:
    Not the official name. An interesting concept? Hopefully enemies will be a bit more mobile than in the showcase to keep things interesting, because you're very safe at that distance. Giving them a good weapon action was nice, dive roll always sucked
    it's called optimal range in DeamonxMakina

Quote Originally Posted by oratank View Post
    it's called optimal range in DeamonxMakina
    Apparently it's also a Monster Hunter thing. Which really begs the question of how much Worlds' success influenced NGS.
    It proved that that type of games definitely had a place in the western market, then PSO2 global finally happened... and now JAs are gone, we have longer combos with big finishers, the game justifies its expansiveness by filling the landscape with resources to gather sometimes in the form of largely neutral monsters the parts of which you can cook for temporary buffs... and now ranged weapons function under the same principle in both games... it's pretty interesting.
    Last edited by Cyclon; Sep 29, 2020 at 08:00 AM.

It seems to me more like they are just making Sharp Shooter an inherent mechanic of Rifles instead of a Skill, and maybe adding a bit more depth to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
    It seems to me more like they are just making Sharp Shooter an inherent mechanic of Rifles instead of a Skill, and maybe adding a bit more depth to it.
    Yeah, the concept already existed with sharpshooter, since it starts before the damage fall off slightly, resulting in a sweet spot.

That said, there's nothing saying they weren't inspired by other games from the mechanic of sharpshooter in general either, since it's been a lot of the older MH games anyway. MH and the online phantasy star games have drawn inspiration from each-other pretty much the entire time both have been concurrent. A lot of things draw from MH in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Kondibon View Post
    Yeah, the concept already existed with sharpshooter, since it starts before the damage fall off slightly, resulting in a sweet spot.

That said, there's nothing saying they weren't inspired by other games from the mechanic of sharpshooter in general either, since it's been a lot of the older MH games anyway. MH and the online phantasy star games have drawn inspiration from each-other pretty much the entire time both have been concurrent. A lot of things draw from MH in general.
    Does sharpshooter actually have a sweetspot? I can't find one at all.

But indeed, this isn't particularly new, and it's not like I have direct proof or anything.
    ... though assuming I'm not completely off base, I do hope we've been over most of the potential MH inspirations. Even beyond personal taste, I feel like it's actually important for PSO to be its own thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclon View Post
    Does sharpshooter actually have a sweetspot? I can't find one at all.

But indeed, this isn't particularly new, and it's not like I have direct proof or anything.
    ... though assuming I'm not completely off base, I do hope we've been over most of the potential MH inspirations. Even beyond personal taste, I feel like it's actually important for PSO to be its own thing.
    Looking at the Swiki it seems like the "sweet spot" is super generous nowadays, since they increased the range before damage fall off happens a while ago, but it is still there I'm pretty sure.

Well, most of the similarities have either been stuf that's established for online games in general, or really simple engagement mechanics. I doubt NGS is going to literally be MH in space. PSO2 already has similarities to stuff popularized by MH, like breakable parts being tied to drops.

Quote Originally Posted by Kondibon View Post
    Looking at the Swiki it seems like the "sweet spot" is super generous nowadays, since they increased the range before damage fall off happens a while ago, but it is still there I'm pretty sure.

Well, most of the similarities have either been stuf that's established for online games in general, or really simple engagement mechanics. I doubt NGS is going to literally be MH in space. PSO2 already has similarities to stuff popularized by MH, like breakable parts being tied to drops.
    Okay, that's news to me, admittedly. At the moment I can't get the bonus to fade before I'm out of autolock range.

... I think the best way I can put it is that inspirations are good when they add to the material(point in case, breakable parts), rather than replace what was unique about it, in my eye anyway. Ultimately I'm not worried this will be space MH either, there are very clear differences even right now. I didn't point at MH because I have a problem with it specifically either, it was just the most logical source in my eye.