Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What does everyone think about this? I mean there is a line to be drawn as far as obcenities go, but what about voicing an opinion? Even if it's a blatent flame. After all thats what a message board is all about. A place for the community to talk about everything that goes on this includes acusations and flames. As long as the obcenities are kept to a minimum I see nothing wrong with. Well answer away. And yes I already know what the board policy is on this Ambrai so don't reply with it. Its a democracy after all majority rules unless of course you're Al Gore.

So, um, what gave you the impression that this board was a governed collective, much less a democracy?

This is a forum. Where, through the graces of our hosts, we are allowed to share information related to PSO. If the hosts find you or your information lacking, they may remove it or you at their discretion. They are very gracious hosts, and fairly underappreciated for their works on this site.

Censorship? Not at all. This is a private forum, not a public one; the only rights you have are given to you by the moderators. There's no guarantee that you'll have your say... beyond your good manners.

Granted, I'm not a moderator, so take this all with a grain of salt.

Pax, Lenneth

Heh. "Democracy". Heh heh.

Forums like this are not a democracy; they are the sole ownership of the board owner. If he wanted to, Tomeeboy could restrict everyone's access to the boards or delete every post that started with the letter "g," and it'd be his right to do so. Posters on a message board are there at the allowance of the board owner.

Now, that said, an owner (and, by extrapolation, his staff) that is draconic or slapdash in their moderation of a board will swiftly die, because if there's one thing that can be said about the internet, it's a massive free market out there. Don't like PSO World? There are literally a thousand or more other PSO message boards and websites out there you can go to instead.

That said, I haven't had any problem with PSO World myself here. I think the moderators are doing a pretty damn decent job. The job of moderator is an extremely unrewarding one sometimes, as they don't get the credit they are often due.

Of course, I may be somewhat biased, having been a moderator of other message boards in the past, but still...

As a Community Site, our goal is to draw in new members and try to get everyone involved, which in the long run, benefits everyone who visits the site. If all of the trouble makers were free to go around flaming and bashing everyone, it would not only discourage new members from joining, but would probably scare off some of the current members as well. This is why certain guidelines and regulations have to be enforced.

Besides, I don't think there are many people who want to read through 10 pages of flames just to find some valid PSO info

-Tom

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Tomeeboy on 2001-03-10 09:27 ]</font>

__I mean there is a line to be drawn as far as obcenities go, but what about voicing an opinion?__

Oddly enough, the moderators seem more intent on squelching opinions than obscenities. --;; There's one thread (Ambrai's petition) in which no less than a dozen posts were deleted for containing mild insults - I believe "dope" was one of them - and many others which contained *extremely* offensive words (including the S-word, the F-word, and a certain other F-word which refers to homosexuals the way the N-word refers to blacks) were left unedited.

Would someone on the staff please tell us the exact official criteria for deciding which posts should be censored? So far, it seems to be left entirely up to the whims of Ambrai and company. (I mean no offense to Ambrai in particular, but it was her behaviour in the petition thread that left the greatest impression on me.)

For most intents and purposes this has been a democracy. If anyone recalls when I could no longer to take the load of the forums and the site, I requested feedback in the general forum for recommendations on who should be named moderator. Everyone seemed to agree on two names. Ambrai, and ragnarok.

Neither have let me regret my decisions, as they've both proven to be extremely effective moderators.

As for the moderation by them, Tomeeboy makes the most valid points with this.

And now we would like some more feedback. What's with the aggression bug flying around the boards the past few days? Looking through all the topics and now its become difficult to find a thread not accusing someone of cheating, or duping. Or just insulting them.

And further more, we are a Republic, not a Democracy, hehe. Get a clue.

Censorship sucks in any shape or form! Nuff said

On 2001-03-10 10:23, Drake wrote:
    __I mean there is a line to be drawn as far as obcenities go, but what about voicing an opinion?__

Oddly enough, the moderators seem more intent on squelching opinions than obscenities. --;; There's one thread (Ambrai's petition) in which no less than a dozen posts were deleted for containing mild insults - I believe "dope" was one of them - and many others which contained *extremely* offensive words (including the S-word, the F-word, and a certain other F-word which refers to homosexuals the way the N-word refers to blacks) were left unedited.
    Drake I am wondering what you think you saw.... Go back to that thread and view it. Whenever I have edited a thread I never remove someones opinion at all. But then again if you call 2 people going back and forth in a 2nd grade cut down war an opinion.... then I am guilty.

I edit flames, if you have a problem with that, dont flame. Kinda simple concept. I am extreamly offended at your statement. I dont 'censor' opinions and I DO NOT EDIT SWEARS, if you have a problem with that then I am sorry. I know a majority of the people who come here are kids, well everyone asks to be treated as an adult, then I ask you all to act like it.

Today alone after I posted the 'board guidelines' people STILL post things where they shouldnt and flame ect. Wouldnt that make you angry?

Finally this board is for information. NOT Flames, NOT your personal opinion on another player. I dont know about kids, but adults dont come here to see flame wars going out of control.

If you want me to stop moderating thats fine. Just take a look at the future of the boards then...

http://pub13.ezboard.com/fbrellserilisfrm39
    Playing as Keahi on Phantasy Star Portable 2 - US Version.

Veteran Fighter

If ya dont like it, you know where the door is.

Also I believe they were trying to clean up General, flame all you want in "Cheaters". I just want a section of the board were I dont have to filter though pages of crap flames to read about someones PSO experiences.

Ever hear about "Biting the hand that feeds you" ? If people keep attacking the Mods I know I sure the hell wouldnt want to keep the board going.

see first statement.