Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Skilled Fighter

Your meant to play it along side Ep 1&2, hence the combined HL. Its not a replacement for EP 1&2.

mmm... be interesting to see what price tag it comes out with then, cause if it's £39.99 then I ortta....[shake of the fist]

Wow this is a complex and interesting topic! I was directed here by a good friend and have been sitting down here reading all the comments in detail.

I am excited by this game. As a wise person once said, "I want to be playing Phantasy Star for many, many years to come" and I feel the same way. I fell in love with the game on Dreamcast and am still playing it now on 'cube 3 years on.

I'm not really sure about what battle system is best - I usta love the traditional turn-based systems on final fantasy, especially the one in ff7, btw. Then again I also spent far too long playing the card games in ff8 and ff9 (In fact I still remember my brother's awe at my near-complete set of triple triad cards and him telling me that only hardcore japanese gamers would do that. hmm. dunno if I'm in that league. I s'pose I'm a trainee japanese gamer. Then again I think it's just that I don't have so much free time.)

And then Phantasy Star Online came out and I loved that too, even though the battle system was (is) unlike anything that had come before it.

I suppose a game is more than just its battle system neway - after all, I'm sure we'll all agree that PSO has a certain 'je ne sais quoi' about it (that's french for 'I'd like to buy some eggs', I think).

At the end of the day I'm excited to see any new instalment of the game, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it more than most games on the market (I haven't bought much recently you see, as good games are so rare.)

I suppose the one thing I don't like is the idea that 'luck' takes place in the battles in the form of dice rolls. There are 2 things in games I don't enjoy - Luck (ie. games like poker and dice games where there is no strategy, just total random luck) and Time Limits - a game with loads of tasks that have to be completed in a set time gets dull and frustrating. If this luck element determines your whole atp and dfp for a move then that would be bad. But perhaps it's just additive to your inherent strength neway, in the same way that in PSO when you hit a monster sometimes you take off a little more or a little less than usual on each hit, with an average that increases as you level. Of course that's just supposition.

Also, with the characters all being the same in epIII, I'll have to wait to see the final game as it's poss' that the full version will have extra chars in - it would make sense as they'd have more time to put them in, and also it would be a nice surprise as they'd have been kept secret by not being in the trial. In fact I'm kind of hoping that there will be a new character that looks exactly, precisely, like me in every way. I'm sure everyone would choose that character then.

I suppose the thing I want most from the game is more of the same, set in huge, beautiful levels.

I guess if the peeps who are playing it now enjoy it then that's cool.

Oh, can I ask a couple of questions to you who are playing it now?

i.Your mag is a card - how does that work? Is it only equipped if u select it? Do you still feed it to level it up? Any other info.?
    ii. So I guess that each battle win gets you exp so that you level up - so does your HP/MST/ATP/DFP etc. rise as you level and the cards just work around that?
    iii.Do you have shields, armour and units equipped or do you select shield and armour cards at the start of each battle? What about items? Do you use a monomate in battle if your hp gets low?

Well, there you have it. I'm curious and would like to play the game just out of curiosity. In fact I'm hankering after a new PSO so much that I've just started playing Phantasy Star (the very first one) just to see what it's like and to get some history. Playing it on a Gameboy Player on a TV is really fun and old-school.

Oh, while I think about it, (cards, I'm thinking about) I got these PSO playing cards in the post the other day, with no explanation or nething. Wierd. Has that happened to a lot of people out there? Let me know, will you, as I've not heard nething about this phenomenon.

neway, I'm off now, I have to get back to my studies.

I'll leave you with my final ep.III thought - 'The proof is in the pudding'. Thats an English phrase that means that you can't prejudge something and have to wait and see for yourself. It's quite apt too, as I've also cooked a variety of puddings recently with varying degrees of success. My gingerbread men are coming out pretty special now.

Seeya!

Tiny D

Darryl I got one thing to say to you...

N U T T E R

Charlie
    xx

Oh, can I ask a couple of questions to you who are playing it now?

i.Your mag is a card - how does that work? Is it only equipped if u select it? Do you still feed it to level it up? Any other info.?
    ii. So I guess that each battle win gets you exp so that you level up - so does your HP/MST/ATP/DFP etc. rise as you level and the cards just work around that?
    iii.Do you have shields, armour and units equipped or do you select shield and armour cards at the start of each battle? What about items? Do you use a monomate in battle if your hp gets low?

i. Its only equiped when you draw it out of your deck. You can hold any amount of mags in your deck. But note that you can only have a maximum of 3 of the same card in your deck. (this is probably to prevent cheap-ness. And you dont feed them, them come with set stats when you find them and you cannot change them. And no, they dont level up.

ii. First of all, let me tell you this. And this will shock many of you. Hp,atk, def, ata, mst, dont go up when you level!!! u have set stats forever! your hp will forever be 15. And the other stats will vary depending on what cards you have equiped...hmmmm, let me try to put it a little simpler. You will ALWAYS have fixed stats. But the only way to raise the stats is to draw support cards during battle. Then after the battle, your stats go back down. Do you get it?

iii. this is also pretty shocking. Mesetta or any unit of money doesnt exist. there's no money involved with this game. And there is no way to heal urself during battle. Once your HP is gone, ITS GONE. So you must be careful when battling,and execute your moves wisely. There are also no stores to buy ANYTHING. Basically absolutly EVERYTHING is in the form of cards now. Mags, barriers, and weapons. And you have to draw the armor out of your deck before you can equip it. Having more armors in your deck is a good idea to improve the chances of drawing one. (but then again, you dont want a shortage on weapons)

This game is all about cards. nothing but cards. cards, cards, cards. I have it and its strategy mania. It is impossible to win against an experienced player (such as myself lol) without having a battle strategy. And when you think about it and play it, there isnt THAT much luck involved. If you wanted to u can set the rules so that the majority of the dice rolls will be 6. (its not cheating cuz the comp gets the same advantage)

I know it might sound confusing, but once you play it, most of u will love it.

All these posts making my head dizzy...
    Well I think it sounds like a good game,now that I know more about it,before I just thought,"Why buy this? I'll just go get another game that has more action in it.",I was wrong,I am definately going to buy it when it comes out here. Hehehe *runs around and hits a wall because she's so happy about a new PSO* and for anyone who can go online in GC PSO,prepare to meet lil Devil in the next few weeks!

well i hope i helped.

i seriously think this is a great game and that everyone should at least try it. Personally, i love it.

Hey, thanks loads Q64

It was good of you to answer my questions in such a detailed way

I think now I understand the game a little better - I've had a look at the epIII guides on here, of course, but they are just mega confusing! I think that just reading them thru' without actually seeing what's happening or understanding certain terms makes it a little difficult, tho' I'm sure they're helpful for epIII players.

I like your overall description of the game as a strategy game. I can really get into a good strategy game, so I'll def' get this when it comes out

Who knows, maybe I'll see you out there one day, and you'll be level 196 and I'll be a lowly level 3. lol.

I think that's what I'll love in the end - the newness of it all - I miss loading up the game and not knowing what's next. It'll be nice having every1 at the same level, starting out to explore a new world together too

seeya then!

D

Oracle of Destruction

Their is a large chance that the sequal will not be a card game. And if you dont want it, stick with Ep. 1&2. A bunch of Sega Reps will not come to your home to drag you away if your not playing Ep. 3. Everyone seems to be bashing card games.
    Of all those that are, what is the longest that you have ever played a card game for? It seems more games are about killing among others. So maybe people dont like this because you have to *gasp* think.
    I like what Sonic Team is doing. They are being creative with their games. Before you say that Ep. 3 isn't creative think about how this is going to be online. An online card game. How many of those are on the market? Read Game Geezer in GMR magizine (Issue 6, pg. 9.

very well put.

an online card game is perfect for me cuz i love strategy games. I think i even like it better than ep1 and 2. cuz think about it, all you do in ep1/2 is tap a few buttons aimlessly and there is almost no strategy involved at all! its just mindless killing. In ep3 at least there is strategy. And yes, i think some of you dont like it cuz your brain cant handle this more complex game.