I Dream Of Sleep

Well, i was kinda stuck trying to get part of the next chapter to work, so i thought i would revive an idea i had before, an explanation of certain characters, objects and places in the DH Trilogy. I wont be spoiling the end of the current fic with this, but i will look at stuff what has happened in that fic and explain some of my reasons for writing certain pieces and throw up some info on dropped scenes. Well here i go:
    ----------

Deuce Deckard: The main character of the DH series, taking the leading role in DH1 and 3, and a sort of back seat role in DH2. Deuce was originally based off Rick Deckard, the main character from the Blade Runner movie. Well seeing as the original inspiration for the fic was this film it makes sense, but it was only when i got to DH3 that Deuce actually aquired the same last name a Rick, and this was only because i hadnt given Deuce a last name at all and i had been using the last name Deckard with my NWN character.
    Deuce mirrors alot of things that i was feeling at the time of writing DH1. Deuce seemed very depressed in alot of the scenes of DH1, or at least i tried to write him like that, and at that time i was going through an odd bout of depression. Actually writing the fic and getting positive reponse's helped me beat some of that depression, it was just something to do. Also of note with mirrored feelings was the loss of Deuces Right arm. Deuce had it crippled during the final fight of DH1, and while writing that part i had somehow hurt my hand and was getting really bad pains running up through it and my arm, it was a good way to try and get the characters feelings right for that part.
    Deuces looks. Totally inspired by every film down and out or rough main hero. Rick Deckard, Snake Pliskin, Solid Snake, all the things that made those characters seemed to be thrown into Deuce for DH1. I also gave Deuce the brown coloured suit because...no one else used it!
    When Deuce turned up in DH2 (which he originally wasnt, for some reason i felt that he became to populer and bringing him back would be milking it, how stupid was i to think that?) he had grown his hair long and was even rougher looking, seeming alot more like both the Snakes. It was a total coincidence that my DH2 characters seemed to be following the same route the characters from MGS2 were taking, new younger character taking over the older one, the older one now sporting a mullet aswell. The only thing remarkable about Deuces look in DH2 was that i just tried to make him seem as rough as possible.
    DH3 i cleaned Deuce up, but still kept his long hair, which he now had formed into a long pony tail/plait thing. Dunno what the inspiration for that was, but i soon dropped it after not mentioning it for ages, and Deuce cut his hair halfway through the fic, so now it resembles his scruffy looking hair from DH1. I also decided he had formed his scruffy unshaven look into a Goatee, just because i thought it looked cool.
    Thats it for Deuce fr the moment.

Pioneer 2's Weather System: Rain. It just sets the perfect Noir mood. But now that i had set DH3 back on Pioneer 2 (P2) how was i going to get the moody rain? Simple, i decided that a ship of that size should have its own weather system, just to keep the tha plants alive and people sane.
    I envisioned this weather system to really just be a rather complex series of pipes built into the roofing of P2. When it was needed to rain, the P2 CPU would open the valves and let the water shower down on certain areas. Alas, by the time it gets to DH3, the system has become old and derelict, so it malfunctions alot and water showers down for no reason.

The Ships and Connectors: How the hell do the people of P2 travel from ship to ship, and how do the ships stay together in orbit? Simple, big connecting tubes. You see those big cylindrical bording tubes in all sorts of sci fi movies, and i kinda got on to the idea that a sereis of these large tubes were connecting the ships to P2. These would have now become permanent due to the crisis down on ragol so would have got alot of use. But with the way they now kept entrance to both P2 and the ships permanently open they were big targets for terrorist attacks, so when the Cultists got onto there plans they were the number one thing to go. Blow the connectors, big hole in ship, ship depressurise, ship screwed. P2 really should have looked into a way of stopping that.

More rambling tomorrow.

<Just fixed some spelling mistakes and gave the thread a better title. Oh how i love Nadesico>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Deathscythealpha on 2003-08-21 11:21 ]</font>

Wielder of Divine Might

"Blow the connectors, big hole in ship, ship depressurise, ship screwed." = Great Line!

I like the idea, Death. It's cool how you explain everything like this. I might just have to do something like this myself.

I Dream Of Sleep

Thanks Davion. Ive had this idea on the back burner for awhile, i wanted it to seem like one of those books you get about the making of films, i just wanted to explain some things that may not have made sense to the reader and to give some funkly background stuff that you may not have known. Feel free to do your own, its great to get those niggling ideas and explanations out and onto the forum.
    ----------

Emily: Emily is Deuces love interest in DH3. I felt that i had given the character such a hard time during his exsistence that he deserved some happpiness...untill she totally screwed him over later on. Oh well.
    Emily is actually named after one of my favourite songs by the band 'Feeder'. It was the B-Side to the Just a Day single and i think i played it more then Just a Day at one point. I dont know if the song represents her chaacter, but i still think its a great name.

Mome and His Death: Put in purely for those Mome haters. You here all those people go on about how they hate Mome in that quest and how he couldnt shoot his handgun to save his life. Kinda ironic how he shot his handgun to end his life...

Hopefully some more tomorrow, im off to work now.

The Original Bullet Magnet

(hes back!) (im back!)

nice idea, help explain a few of those things. such as deuce's last name and that weather system.

I Dream Of Sleep

The Music Sounds Better with Deuce: One thing ive used to help me write these fics and give me inspiration is music. Every time i sit down to write a new part, i stick on a good CD to help me get the mood right. If you get a good track that sets the right mood you could right for hours. For example, the scene in DH3 where Deuce is attacked by a group of Racasts was written to a hard rocking song called 'Godzilla' by Feeder. It seemd to give me the right energy to write a good, violent fight scene. Heres a quick low down of CD's ive listened to to give me the right feeling for these fics:

Coldplay 'A Rush of Blood to the Head' (good for emotional bits)

Feeder 'Comfort in Sound' (pretty much the same as above, except for the fact that the track 'Godzilla' rocks so much and feels like proper fighting music)

Daft Punk 'Discovery' (Nightvision is so calm and airy, good for writing calm pieces)

Feeder 'Echo Park' (Alot of DH1 was written to this album, theres alot of variation in the music with this album)

Theres some others, but those albums there were my particuler favourites out of the lot.

Disapointment of Cinos: I originally tried to write Cinos as a character that was alot like me, feeling kinda left out, not knowing if he was doing the right job and trying to build himself up to somehting like his idol. But when DH2 was coming to the end, i felt that i had written a totally one dimensional character. He was mopey and had problems killing, that was about it for him. It wasnt till the end of DH2 that he tried to do anything majorly interesting, and i managed to write that bit as he messed up, not exactly a heroic end for a character. *sigh* Hopefully ive sorted the character out for DH3, but DH2 Cinos is probably one of my least favourite creations.

The Original Bullet Magnet

On 2003-09-05 05:15, Deathscythealpha wrote:
    For example, the scene in DH3 where Deuce is attacked by a group of Racasts was written to a hard rocking song called 'Godzilla' by Feeder. It seemd to give me the right energy to write a good, violent fight scene.
    feeder inspiring a fight scene? i like it!!! hmmmm, wonder what that fight scene would have been like if ud been listening to just the way im feeling

Disapointment of Cinos: i felt that i had written a totally one dimensional character. He was mopey and had problems killing, that was about it for him.
    i honestly thought old cinos was a good character. not as good as deuce though . besides, even if anyone thought he wasn;t that good, by the end of dh2, im sure their opinion went full cirlce

PEACE!!!