With an un-important level 6 character on a separate VMU, I tried about 20 times pulling out the VMU, turning off the power and removing the controller while PSO was saving my character until I finally got it to corrupt the file.

It corrupted my file when I removed the VMU the very instant it printed the "Now saving..." message. When I had removed the VMU or powered off the dreamcast even just milliseconds after it began saving, my file was OK and was in fact was up-to-date!. It even allowed me to resume saving successfully after re-inserting the VMU

I'm guessing that the PSO save file itself contains an embedded backup, or perhaps several of them. That can be the only explanation for the large size and long save time for such a small set of data.

Let me tell you I feel a lot better about the security of my character. I had a hard enough time trying to deliberately ruin the save file, what are the chances that it will happen randomly?!?

If you don't believe me try it for yourself. Start another character on a new VMU and do your best to damage the file.

I think you'll be pleasently suprised!

were you trying this online? doing it offline makes it harder to damage for some reason.

i've had my dreamcast turned off my drunken retards several times during online play, and so far only once have i lost my weapons (the time i did it myself after a theif stole something to avoid the save)

You can do that?