I read the 2 topics about the Star Wars games (Knights of the Old Republic and Jedi Academy) and now...im struggling. I want to get one of these, but i dont know which suits my liking. So im gonna name my "requirements" and people who have played the game, tell me which one has the better stuff.

1. Live combat like in PSO.
    2. Upgrade/Level up weapons/person/other stuff.
    3. Ability to find different items.

Please tell me which game suits me.

Mofo in the Know

ahhh this is stoopid get KOTOR no brainer
    god go do some research -_-

Customary AWESOME Title Solstis's Avatar

I've never played Academy, but it SHOULD have faster, PSO-like combat. KOTOR has more item collectiony goodness tho (and had been rated better overall).

On 2003-12-20 15:49, badbitz wrote:
    god go do some research -_-
    I did. Before i even posted this. Its just that sometimes ill find a game i like, look up reviews, pitcures, etc, but the game doesnt appeal to me.

Mofo in the Know

KOTOR is the more rewarding of the 2...plus you can download new content on xbox live -_-

On 2003-12-20 15:26, chantez131313 wrote:
    I read the 2 topics about the Star Wars games (Knights of the Old Republic and Jedi Academy) and now...im struggling. I want to get one of these, but i dont know which suits my liking. So im gonna name my "requirements" and people who have played the game, tell me which one has the better stuff.

1. Live combat like in PSO.
    2. Upgrade/Level up weapons/person/other stuff.
    3. Ability to find different items.

Please tell me which game suits me.
    Funny thing is, both of the listed games have all three of these.

Knights of the Old Republic is an RPG, and a moderately decent one at that. More items and upgrades and character development than Jedi Academy, but a much less active combat system. Interesting story, too... At least, interesting up until a game-stopping glitch, unallowing me to proceed. All thanks to BioWare's lazyness...

Jedi Academy, on the other hand, is not an RPG, but an action game. There are items and various weapons (although, you'll be using your lightsaber most of the time), as well as character growth in single player mode (as well as a good story for an aciton game). The lightsaber combat system and multiplayer is where this game really shines. For each saber type, single saber (which has three separate stances), doublesaber, and dual sabers, there are seven different basic attacks and an array of special moves and assorted attributes (attack strength, speed, range, defense). Raven really did do a good job of making the saber fighting more of an artform than a mindless glowstick-swinging spamfest.

Really, it comes down to this: Do you want an overrated and extremely buggy RPG or a very good action game based on skill, precision, and discipline?

(Yes, I do realize how much I just downplayed Knights of the Old Republic)

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

oh yeah, i forgot 2 say that i dont have broadband so xbox live is unavailable.

In the most recent EGM magazing, they gave Academy pretty average reviews. I also played the demo and while the combat was fun at first, the bad controls and fighting eventually bore you.

As much as I hate to say it, get Kotor.

Mofo in the Know

so KOTOR it is!

Yeah, go with KOTOR. The thing though that many people don't realize is that the combat isn't real time. Watch the game being played and read up in the magazines and that's your proof.