i suppose this is old news, but i found a delsabers arm offline normal ruins... i wondered how rare this is and how i use it.. i kinda remember that i have to redo a quest and give it to the doc right? so i have to finish the game on normal first?
    and then can my force use it?
    and is it worth anything much to anyone else?

also: heres a cool thing i found:
    the docs secret weapon quest offline normal drops a random material every single time its played. dont mat's count as rare?

Well materials are rare on normal and I also found delsabers arm in normal offline mode in the ruins...3 off them! So I took it to Doc in the unsealed door quest and had the material in my inventory and tada, delsaber buster! You have to finish all the quests, which means you have to have access to all areas. Don't beat the game yet! Finish all quests then go back to the guild and you'll be able to select anyone you want. The requirement for DB should be shown when Doc gives it to you. Have a high attack.

Is total playing time (assuming it affects rares) tallied between all characters?

I ask this only because the new Ramar I started after getting bored with my 87 HUCast (with Flame Visit and Chain Sawd, respectively... thank you, Sega of Japan!) seems to be finding a TON of material. So far, after having done Forest 1+2 three times and Caves 1, 2, and 3 once, I've found about four HP material and three Def material.

I mean, I don't remember finding material until Ruins 3 on Normal with my HUCast...