Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

All you artists out there(ladyjaderiver,navi,batou,sharkyland, and many others) what materials do you use? what style? what influences/inspiration? share with me, the n00b, how experienced artists work. and unexperienced artists too. some tips would be nice too

%s on weps are for wimps

All the advice I can give you:

DON'T USE PENS!

DON'T USE PENS!

like, for drawing or inking?

i luv my stolen insurance company pen(i stole it, if that sentance was confusing) it has such a clean,smooth ink flow

La Chupacabra-1/2 Azn Ogre KaFKa's Avatar

LJR uses some top-of-the-line colored pencils most of the time, while Navi uses mostly CG (but also watercolors), and im not sur ebaout the rest

Hm. Let's see, I am mostly a digital person as you can see so here is the list of my equipments:

Wacom Graphite 2 4 x 5 Tablet
    Adobe Photoshop 7
    Corel Painter 7
    Painter Classic

are the three programe I consistently use.

Of analogue media my best is watercolour, I use a box block set from Winston and Newton. My next best is acrylic but due to the sheer size and acrylic having to be on canvas I never really made PSO piccies with acrylic. I also enjoy Charcoal, pastel and Coloured pencils. For papers I like paper with a bit of weight in them, like, not too thin and perhaps with a bit of texture. Typically watercoloured paper is very good for charcoal or coloured pencils also.

(For coloured pencils and such I like Derwent's colour pencils, they are quality products, albeit, a bit expensive)

As for inking, I currently dont' have a pen for inking so I grab random gel pens to fill for the job. :/ But indian Ink with G-pen tip is my fav when it comes to real inking.

Ya.

edit: I forgot to answer about influence. Hm. My biggest influence I believe is my art god: Capcom's Akiman. This guy can do ANYTHING, and is a nice guy. I like game-art just simply because the good ones really does stand out and grab your attention right away.

Inspiration-wise... I rely on my muse. If my muse is around I can finish up pictures very quickly, if not, then well pictures just don't get finished.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: navi on 2004-02-27 15:25 ]</font>

ooooooh...navi's got a muse! what/who is it?

On 2004-02-27 15:32, FOAtHeart wrote:
    ooooooh...navi's got a muse! what/who is it?
    Hm. Muse is this b******/b**** that likes to visit my brain from time to time on a completely irregular basis?

Hum ok.. I do all my work on my laptop and maybe my computer. And no paper.
    I use Adobe Photoshop 7. As for inspiration eh.. whatever. I've been on hyaides (sp) for 2 years. And I'm out of practice, but its kind of fun hanging out in the Fan Arts of PSOw.

PSU Characters
    Shalan - Newearl - Fortetecher
    Fuuko - Beast - ForteFighter
    Tsunami - Caseal - ForteGunner
    Hailey - Human - Acrofighter

A normal BIC mechanical pencil (.07mm lead)

Some sort of mini-tablet

Paintshop Pro 8

I have some gel pens for inking, but that action scares me to death.

Oh yeah, I'm like... mad professional.

what materials do you use?
    1) Mechanical Pencils (.3, .5, .7, .9) ... still trying to find a .04 pencil for my package of .04 lead (usually BiC brand)
    2) Regular pencils mostly used for shading (charcoal sometimes maybe used as well as crayons as well as pastels)
    3) Inking: Sakura Micron Pens (.005, .01, .02, .03, .05, .0
    4) I rarely use markers though mostly I use a Sanford Permanent Marker for comic drawing
    5) I mostly use computer paper and if needed tracing paper
    6) Other utensils: varius rulers (T-ruler), stencils, compasses, etc
    7) I might be using computer enhancements sometime in the future but this computer I'm on is old and it needs to be upgraded. I only have Adobe Photoshop 5.0... my friend stole my PSP 7.0 w/ Animation Shop 3.0 disc.

what style?
    I used to draw Ranma 1/2 style (then another anime style then another), but I simply couldn't get it down, then I began sketching on my own (taking a little bit here, changing a few things here). I somewhat created my own style but apparently I have a lot of problems with it and it's not used to how most drawers do. Also with my own style, I haven't gotten any input on what anime or manga style it's similar to...

what influences/inspiration?
    I can draw, but I don't percieve myself as being the best. I mostly use it to write creative ideas or plots down, but mostly I use drawing to relieve stress (and sometimes it creates a lot of stress). Though if you want people's names, I have a horrible time attaching names with titles. I have a hard time remembering names period. But to tell you the truth, what really influence me to draw was school with all of it's art subjects as well as reading comic books so much.

share with me, the n00b, how experienced artists work. and unexperienced artists too. some tips would be nice too
    Drawing for the first time is rather difficult considering there are a lot of good artists out there that seems like you're never going to make it, but if you put some confidence into your work and you know that you can succeed, you can be as good as them. Practice seems to be very helpful. The 'How to Draw Manga' books are very helpful. I mainly use them for reference since I've got my own style. And if you are having trouble drawing and trying to figure out a style. Try to draw various characters from different anime, manga, or comic books.

Getting critisism is pretty difficult in my opinion (well for me it is). I would like to make my art a little better, but I'm guessing that everyone has their own 'style' that it's up to your decision on what you think looks perfect. When I usually 'like' your work, I am like this, but if you do get some critisism from other artists you should listen to those who want to help you and IGNORE the ones that think your art is horrible. In my opinion, everyone has a different perspective of looking at things. The way you want to draw is the way you should feel on how to draw. (sorry, can't figure out a good way to say that) You decide if your artwork is perfect or getting close to perfection.

As one man said (forgot his name):
    - "Missing one day of practice is one day less from becoming perfect."

and I forgot the exact words of this Bruce Lee quote:
    - "Keep what you want, throw what you don't want. Change the way to the point where you see fit."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sharkyland on 2004-02-28 12:09 ]</font>