I would like to make a few notes:
  • Please PM me to make a suggestion or add possible method/confirm/disprove a method. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS THREAD
  • Merikle and Mericus are online only and only appear in certain quests (East & West Tower and rare in Famitsu). Ill Gill, Epsilon, and Del Lily are also exclusive to online, seen in the Tower quests.
  • The letters on the Red Weapons spell "Heathcliff", which is a reference to Heathcliff Flowen, who made the weapons for Red Ring Rico, and was most likely like a teacher to Rico.
  • There is no obtainable "real" DB's Saber or Flowen's Sword. The closest you come is the 9* ones because they are the only ones to get the set bonus. The true Flowen's Sword is the Dark Flow that you see disintegrating after beating Olga Flow (the one you make is slightly different).
  • Game data has proven that beats do not help the frequency of rare enemies.
  • The base weapon that is used to make a combination weapon does not matter for anything besides the level requirement and the grind needed. Only the %s carry over to the combined item, so it is highly recommended to make everything with at least 50% hit.
  • You must beat all areas of the Central Control Area in one sitting (no saving & quitting allowed) to unlock the Mountain Cliff/Seabed
  • The Parasitic Gene "Flow" is currently unavailible, as Olga Flow is set to drop it, but has a 0% drop anything rate, both Online and Offline
  • All items that are dropped by enemies that are availible offline can drop their item both online and offline, unless the enemies have a 0% drop anything rate (which only applies to Dark Flaz and Olga Flow).
  • To get the Orotiagito/Orochiagito check this guide.
  • For Shifta power:
    On 2003-10-27 22:10, VulpesMundi wrote:
    I was asked to explain in detail how the variable ATP of weapons worked. It seemed fitting that this belonged in its own topic, as that topic was about something else.

What is variable ATP?
    Looking at a weapon in the item database that has a variable ATP, it will be listed as ATP: X-Y, X being the minimum possibility and Y being the maximum possibility. The calculated ATP will be somewhere between those two values. The game will calculate a variable ATP for each successful attack and add it to the character's base ATP. Just remember that the Y value will be what the game displays when it shows the combined statistic for a character's ATP.

Do grinders effect variable ATP?
    Not really. When you grind a weapon it adds equally to both ends of the variable ATP, keeping the variance the same. Lets assume a weapon has a default variable ATP of 90-100. If you grind that weapon to +5 (adding 10 ATP) your new variable ATP will be 100-110.

Does Shifta effect variable ATP?
    Yes. When casting a level 30 Shifta, a weapon with a variable ATP will gain roughly 47% of the variable difference on the maximum (Y) value. Lets assume a weapon has a default variable ATP of 90-100, which gives us a 10 ATP variance. If level 30 Shifta is cast on that character this weapon will gain an ATP bonus equal to roughly 47% of 10, or roughly a 5 ATP bonus. However, this bonus is only added to the maximum (Y) value of variable ATP. And thus our 90-100 variable ATP weapon will now do 90-105 variable ATP. I also assume this works in reverse with Jellen by reducing the maximum (Y) value, but not changing the minimum (X) value. However, I have not fully tested that as of yet. Also remember that different levels of Shifta will have a different resulting bonus.

How about grinders and Shifta combined?
    Grinders raise the variable ATP equally so that the variance between the minimum (X) and maximum (Y) values never changes. Therefore, the Shifta bonus will remain the same regardless of grinders.

Why does only the maximum (Y) value get a bonus?
    I think this is done for a few reasons. First, a weapon with a variable ATP is somewhat less reliable than a weapon with a fixed ATP. So for that reason the weapon gains on its maximum to recover a little from being less reliable by being given the chance to do more damage. However, because it gets stronger from this Shifta bonus it also becomes even less reliable by getting an even wilder variable ATP.

So is there a way to figure out a decent (average) effectiveness of a weapon with variable ATP?
    Yes. You can calculate a median (middle) ATP that would be an average scenario of what the variable ATP will calculate. To do this, find the difference in the Variable ATP. Using our example of 90-100, the difference is 10 ATP. Now divide that difference by 2. For our example 10 divided by 2 equals 5. Now take that value and subtract it from the maximum value to find the median. For our example 100 minus 5 equals 95. So granted an average scenario our variable ATP weapon will average 95 ATP. Remember to calculate Shifta bonuses separately.

So why do variable ATP in the first place?
    For a little variety, I suppose. If you'll remember in the quest Value of Money you have to teach Garon (I think) that a weapon is more than just its outer appearance. You have to pay attention to its attributes. Variable ATP is just one more attribute that needs to be looked over carefully. Some weapons (like the Meteor Cudgel and Red Sword) aren't as reliable as they first appear. They have very high variable ATP scores and will do extremely wild damage. My only complaint is that ST didn't put any info about variable ATP in the game. The only way to truly know about it is from official Sega/ST publications, which I believe is where PSOW got the information (don't quote me on that).

How about a useful comparison example?
    Sure. Lets use the Meteor Cudgel and Demolition Comet, since most people seem to think the Meteor Cudgel is the better of the two statistic wise.

Meteor Cudgel has 300-560 base variable ATP, grinds to +15, and has a maximum variable ATP of 330-590. The variable difference is 260 ATP, and with level 30 Shifta it will gain a maximum bonus of roughly 122 ATP (bringing the variable ATP to 330-712, a difference of 382).

Demolition Comet has 530 base fixed ATP, grinds to +25, and has a maximum fixed ATP of 580. Since the ATP is fixed, there is no variance or Shifta bonus.

Without Shifta the Demolition Comet seems the overall better choice, as it will always give 580 ATP as opposed to the Meteor Cudgel having 330-590 with a median of 460.

With Shifta the issue gets a bit more convoluted. Level 30 Shifta bumps the Meteor Cudgel's maximum ATP to a whopping 712, but you also have to consider that the minimum is still 330. This means that the variance is now 382 and the median is 521. The Demolition Comet remains at 580, and therefore would still be the overall better weapon in a truely average scenario.

This truly puts a new perspective on things. Weapons that first appear to be really strong may not be as effective as one thinks. You truly do have to examine a weapon's attributes to understand how it will work in the long run.

Anyway, that about covers it (I think). You can look over weapons to check for variable ATP here on PSOW using either the item database or the item comparison.

items.php
    item_compare.php
  • On 2003-11-12 19:55, Sounomi wrote:
    I've checked over the data files. All IDs have the same chances of getting any tech. Pinkal is not the only one that can find lv 30 techs... . Also, Pinkal doesn't have a higher tech disk rate either.
    Pinkal does not find more/higher level tech disks. Proven by game data. Also, all IDs have the same chance at finding every type of materials.
  • On 2004-04-16 05:15, Kef wrote:
    Okay, I've seen many people asking about the purpose of keeping a Lavis Cannon untekked, lately, and there is no guide to it, so here it is :

The special attack of the Lavis Cannon is a purple penetrating energy wave that consumes about 5% of your max HP that has about 60% the power of a weak attack and the low accuracy of a special attack.

Now if you do keep your Lavis Cannon untekked :
    1) the special will not be visible, i.e. as if it was an invisible wave.
    2) the special will not consume your HP with each shot.
    3) the special will have the power of a hard attack, i.e. about 4 times as powerful as if you had tekked it.
    4) the special will never miss.

Important note: this will not work with PAL European games, the glitch was fixed, an untekked Lavis Cannon special attack on a PAL game is the same as a hard attack, there is no "invisible wave"

Hope that covers your questions.

Sealed J-Sword Notes:
  • I don't have a Sealed J-Sword so I can't test any of the theories.
  • ONLY SKYLY CAN FIND THE SEALED J-SWORD FROM ULTIMATE GI GUE, NO OTHER SECTION ID can find it. It is availible both online, and off. Check this page to find out what other items are only availible to one Section ID.
  • I am compiling this list from the Ended Theory Thread, and I read the whole thing, and read each post carefully. Each of the possible theories has been suggested by someone from there, or put there by me by combining some theories; and none have been tried. (Check this thread.)
  • I am going to keep all possible methods where they are in case there is more than one way to unseal it.

Condensed Sealed J-Sword Theory:

Tried and Failed Methods:
  • Asking (E-Mailing Sega/Sonic Team)
  • Kill 3,500-22,999 enemies
  • Grinding it (can't be ground)
  • Use all weapon attack combos
  • Agito Tekker in Seek my Master
  • Sealed J-Sword user being hit by Prophits of Motav special attack
  • Books of Katana (don't exist in GC/Xbox version)
  • Blue-Black Stone
  • Photon Sphere
  • Magic Water
  • Magic Rock: Heart Key
  • Magic Rock: Moola
  • Magic Sone: Iritista
  • Berill Photon
  • Photon Boosters
  • Parasitic Gene: Flow
  • Book of Hitogata
  • Syncesta
  • Star Amplifier
  • Parasite Cell Type D
  • Stand in the light so it covers your whole screen
  • Ragol Ring + Sealed J-Sword
  • Kamui + Sealed J-Sword
  • Sange + Sealed J-Sword
  • Yasha + Sealed J-Sword
  • Agito 1975 + Sealed J-Sword
  • Agito 2001 + Sealed J-Sword
  • Agito 1991 + Sealed J-Sword
  • Agito 1980 + Sealed J-Sword
  • Sange & Yasha + Sealed J-Sword
  • Zanba + Sealed J-Sword
  • All 4 God Shields + Sealed J-Sword
  • Yamigarusu + Sealed J-Sword
  • Use all techs on it when it is on the ground (FOrce must do it)
  • Use techs on it while it is equipped (have a character learn each spell with it equipped, example: give a HUnewearl the Sword and have her equip it and have her learn every spell she can)
  • Try using all Mag Cells on it
  • Talking to all NPCs with it equipped (including the ones that only appear in quests)
  • Typing "unseal its done" or "MUUT DITTS POUMN" with a keyboard
  • Have all Mag Specials used
  • Photon Blast Chains (use all different Photon Blasts, no doubles)
  • Equipping it then dying
  • Killing Dark Flaz or Olga Flow with the Special of the Sealed J-Sword (they are immune to instant death)
  • OMFG!!!!!! i did it!!! by accident!!!! ok i was fighting my friend who is a FO and we were goofing off in battle mode and he used the prophets of motav special, which is jellen and zalure, and then i laughed and gave a swing with my sealed j and it killed him. then it made the sound like when you use a mag cell and my sword changed!!!!! we both flipped out!!! then he tried it with his sealed j and my fo, for him it didnt unseal... i dont know if it was a fluke or if it is determined on sect id. but i am sooooo freaking happy!!!
    side notes: i am redria, level 100, the fo was 112, yellowboze, sealed j was prolly not legit. (vega trade) we both had full health and were battling in F1, i DID use weak attack because i thought it wouldnt kill him, hehe i dont know my own power. i did have high enough ATP to use tj sword, it was near 1000. once again this is freaking awesome and i didnt expect this to happen!! i thought the j-sword was just a hack!!! well to everyone good luck!!!!!!
    This was done after several other theories. Also brings up the possibility of a Battle Mode Record

Possible Methods:
  • Future Quest
  • Random unsealing
  • Kill every enemy with the special (no enemy kill data, doubted)
  • Allowing the Sealed J-Sword to inflict Slow a number of times
  • Chocolate
  • Using another Sealed J-Sword on one
  • Beat Ultimate Dark Falz/Olga Flow/Kireek with it
  • Equipping all merges or having all Amplifiers in your inventory with it
  • Beat time
  • Use Orotiagito special on a Sealed J-Sword user
  • Having it in inventory when talking to Paganini
  • Having it in inventory along with all other Katanas and Katana pairs/combos
  • Talking to Dr. Montague with it
  • Have all enemy techs used on you: {Foie: Vol Opt V2, Various Ep2 Traps; GiFoie: Rare Ep2 Trap, East Tower, Sinow Berill (Normal-VHard); Rafoie: Sinow Berill, Falz Phase 1&2(?); Barta: Force in From the Depths; Gibarta: Vol Opt v2, Sinow Spigell&Zoa, ANY Normal-VHard enemy, save Lilys, that spits Megid in Ultimate; RaBarta: Deldepth, Falz Phase 1&2(?); Zonde: Canabins(?), Ul Gibbon; Gizonde: Vol Opt v2.... ; Razonde: ...or did Vol Opt v2 do THIS one...?; Grants: Gran Sorcerer, Falz Phase 3; Megid: You know 'em and hate 'em, pick your poison; Jellen & Zalure: Migium, Gi Gue}
  • Having a HUnewearl use all tech disks with it epuipped (1-20 of each, Anti 1-7, Ryuker; all when it is equipped)
  • Cast all techniques on it both online and offline
  • Bring the Sealed J-Sword to Heathcliff Flowen and Red Ring Rico
  • Get hit by every enemy in the game
  • FOnewearl at end of Gran Squall quest
  • Unsealed Door Quest
  • Use the Sword on unique items, not unique items on the sword
  • GCN-GBA Link (probably not, what about Xbox?)
  • Items on wall in VR Temple: Imperial Pick, Berdysh, Ancient Saber; Chain Sawd; Orochiagito; Double Cannon
  • Using it to clear all of Ultimate mode
  • Members of Weapons
  • Episode 3 (maybe like the data on the memory card, like to get certain trophies in Super Smash Brothers Melee?)
  • Killing Ultimate Dark Falz and leveling up right after
  • Using all techs on a Gi Gue and it may drop instead of the Sealed J-Sword (Skyly FOrce only), (Doubted, each enemy only has one rare drop besides Photon Drops)
  • Purplenum casting all spells on Sealed J-Sword user (or Purplenum user, or both have to be Purplenum)
  • Use all Photon Blasts (all 6)
  • Use the specials of: Prophits of Motav, Club of Laconium, and Heart of Poumn on it; or something else having to do with these three items (back to the Purplenum idea)
  • Go from x<910 ATP to x>910 ATP with the Sealed J-Sword equipped
  • Equipping it long enough
  • All Section IDs equip the Sealed J-Sword and use the special
  • Use all Section ID Cards on it
  • Don't unequip it for 1000 Beats (1 day)
  • Hildebear item from Forest of Sorrow with Sealed J-Sword equipped
  • USe a certain number of Photon Blasts
  • PB energy gained with the sword
  • Get to level 200 with the sword equipped
  • Get hit with every technique from a weapon: Prophets of Motav (Jellen and Zalure); Caduceus (Foie); Hildebear's Cane (Foie); Elysion (Foie); Tech. Crozier (Barta); Hildeblue's Cane (Gibarta); Magical Piece (Zonde); Summit Moon (Zonde); Psycho Wand (Barta, Foie, and Zonde); Marina's Bag (Resta); Sigh of a God (Gizonde); Sinow Red Blades (Shifta and Deband); Twin Blaze (Gifoie); Evil Curst (Megid); Soul Banisher (Megid)
  • Something having to do with the name
  • Use evey icon on customize bar (A,B,X,RA,RB,RX)
  • Level up a certain number of times
  • Beat all of Episode 1 with the Sealed J-Sword equipped without dying
  • Beat all offline quests with it equipped

Possible, but only confirmed once:
  • None

Confirmed Working Theories:
  • Barubary now says that there is a kill counter (only on the Sealed J-Sword), and you have to kill 23,000 enemies using a duped/legit Sealed J-Sword (not hacked). This works in any difficulty.
    On 2003-11-22 12:29, Barubary6 wrote:
    I am totally sorry that I told everyone it is impossible. It was only impossible because of my testing methods.

Thanks to a friend of clara, I now know the right answer.

Kill 23,000 or more enemies using the Sealed J-Sword. After you do that, the Remove option becomes Use, like the other items that can change.

THIS WILL NOT WORK USING A HACKED SEALED J-SWORD - ONLY LEGITIMATE J-SWORDS CAN BE CONVERTED THIS WAY. (This is why I concluded it was impossible!)

I have a capture card so I can make a video of the 23000th kill and conversion to a Tsumikiri if you think it's necessary.

There are some bugs associated with this item.

1. When you kill a monster with a Sealed J-Sword, other people in the team do not see the updated kill count. I recommend that, before giving or showing this item to another user, that you bank it then remove from bank.

2. If as a result of #1, you see the kill count as 23000 or higher (able to convert) and other people don't, when you use it, other people will not see a Tsumikiri, and still see the Sealed J-Sword. After making a Tsumikiri, you should bank it and unbank it so everyone is synchronized.

Hard to believe that Sonic Team made 2 bugs on the same item! (The other bug is that you can't remove a Sealed J-Sword from a Present. Sonic Team "fixed" this in September by modifying Gallon's Shop to not let you wrap a Sealed J-Sword.)

-- Barubary

Videos of the unsealings:
To view these videos, you may need DivX 5.2
On 2004-08-06 14:53, Auracom wrote:
Alright, I've been playing GC PSO since December 2002. I spend a long time offline and thats where I developed my love for hunting and playing legitly. Why am I telling you this? Because I know there is going to be afew "Doubting Toms" in the crowd. Anyway enough of that...

Afew months back a friend (Muff') managed to track down the elusive Sealed J Sword. Then afew months after that he quit. Sad yesh. D: But before quiting he gave away afew of his prized possessions. I lucked out and got his Sealed J Sword. : x A blessing or a curse? hehe

Ever since I got it I've been trying to unseal it. Basically just by getting kills in. I tried Max Attack 2 runs on Normal... you can rack in 450kills in 30mins. Only got upto about 4k kills with it, mostly cause I was always with people when I came online. I raised a new character which I used to gain some more kills from normal to ult. Lastly I just made sure that Shiro (my hune) used SJ whenever she could.

Afew days ago it all paid off. I was doing a run through ruins with some friends. Near the end of ruins 3 my inventory was abit messy. I tend to click 'Sort' a lot. Anyway today was special... I went really fast to click sort, sorta like muscle memory for PSO. XD Anyway I dropped the SJ on the ground. I then picked it up and noticed that the menu had changed. Instead of Remove/Drop/Sort SJ now said Use/Remove/Drop. At this point I flipped and proceeded to mail anyone who was online. : x

Well here's the videos of it unsealing:

unsealing through menu

unsealing through quick menu

final unsealing

First two videos were done offline by Ryna. (the one who can make the videos ;P) And the last video is done online for all to see!

And no we didn't have 3 sealed j swords, hard reset for the first two was used offline. And the final was done by myself online.

So? How do we unseal it Aura? Ah yes I don't know the exact number of kills.
-_- But I had been told earlier that 100k kill was needed. No way in the short amount of time that I had could I even be close to getting 100k kills. However I don't think it was 23k kills, seeing as Muff' told me he had 10k. And I carried on from there, I had done way more then 23k kills alone maybe... 32k? or somewhere above that. I can't say for sure...

One thing I do know, if you have a legit SJ keep on fighting and it'll unseal one day.
If you couldn't see the one above (or it takes too long to download), here's a low quality version with all 3. Thanks to anwserman for this version.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ketchup345 on 2006-02-25 10:59 ]</font>