Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My dad always complains about me playing games too much. And all this complaining makes me mad. So one day I yelled back at him, and he said "Why do you even play those things anyhow?" And I yelled something else and he left the room. But I thought about that question. Why do I play games? After thinking for a while, I came up with this conclusion. I play games to escape reality. What I mean is, can you really be a hero who fights monsters and gets famous in real life? No. Can you really be a soldier who takes on an entire army himself? No. I play games because it lets me do things I'll never be able do, plus I can be someone else.

So, to sum this up, Why do you play games?

Could I really be good at anything In real life? No. Therefore, I play videogames to make up for my total lack of talent in any area.

On 2004-07-07 09:08, lain2k3 wrote:
    Could I really be good at anything In real life? No. Therefore, I play videogames to make up for my total lack of talent in any area.

Ain't that so true

I play games because I have nothing better to do. I mean, what else beats saving the universe, winning the Indy 500, and winning WWII all before dinner?

It kills time, it's a fun activity, and it's pretty much just a hobby that's turned into a lifestyle.

What can I say? I've been playing games for most of my life, and it's not gonna stop anytime soon.

I started gaming in my early childhood with an Atari. I've kept up with it since then.

For a lot of the time, it was an escape from reality. Family fighting? Video games were there. No friends around? Video games were there.

They filled a gap in my childhood of not having any friends in the area to go do stuff with.

Recently though, gaming isn't an escape from reality, as much as it's just something to kill time and keep me entertained. I don't often get into the "zone" when I'm playing games anymore like I used to.

My brother's girlfriend recently asked me while I was playing Horizons, "When does it end?". Well, never, thats a MMORPG. She then asked what do I get out of playing it. Simple, entertainment. Thats all it ever was for, it's just that I'd rather be actively taking part in the ass-kicking than just watching it most often.
    Look, he did it again.

Well, i play video games becuz either im bored and it's something fun to do and to be better than anyone i know.

Kills time, but more importantly, it's time that is enjoyed.

I've been playing games since I was around 3 (Track for the NES..remember the huge pad?)..and I haven't really stopped since.

My parents have had a rough time with my gaming, because they figured it was something that would "die off" as I got older (I'm 17)...but it still hasn't, so we still have squabbles over it.

My parents don't understand videogames (like many parents), so it usually results in a backlash for me when they see me spending so much time with them.

Like Abdur said, I'm no longer in the "zone" when I play videogames...but that's mainly a result of so many people downsizing my (probably my main) interest.

...it is kind of funny though. My dad started playing Hot Shots Golf 3 last week while on vacation, and just yesterday, he took over my bro's PS2 to play it.

I went to bed at 2AM and he was still in his office playing the game.

You would think he would be hit with some understanding now.

Why do I play games?

To be honest, in recent months I have been asking myself this same question alot. I just don't get the same enjoyment out of games that I used to.

I began out playing mostly Platformers back on the NES. When I got my SNES most of my games were Fighting Games ( that was untill I re-discovered RPGs, now half of my SNES games are RPGs ). I got a Ps1 because I was ( and still am ) obsessed with RPGs and the Ps1 was more or less the option for RPG fans. Nowadays I own a Ps2 and a Gamecube, RPG's are very scarse especially here in Ireland. Most games these days are either FPS which I hate, racing games which get old quick or sports games which I dipise. I hate this new phase of Crime games such as Driver, GTA, Getaway, etc. There just doesn't seem to to be market for gamers like me anymore. I supose that why I eventually came back to PSO ( as much as I hate it's short comings ), because it is one of the few games out there that has alot of elements that I like. I supose I keep playing games because I have nothing better to do.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SubstanceD on 2004-07-07 12:09 ]</font>

The Original Bullet Magnet

On 2004-07-07 08:50, chantez131313 wrote:
    My dad always complains about me playing games too much. And all this complaining makes me mad. So one day I yelled back at him, and he said "Why do you even play those things anyhow?"
    About three years ago my mom was giving me shit about spending so much time playing games and spending so much on them (and in her defence i was spending nite after nite locked up in my room playing games and spent more money on games that year than any other). All it took was one reply:

"would you prefer i spent my time and money drinking, smoking, on drugs or doing other illegal shit that most teens seem to do to pass the time?"

the subject was never raised again. if ur dad complains again, just say that.

but why do i play games? because their fun!! their entertaining!!! If im not out with my friends, or watching a movie (i dont bother with the shite on TV) it more than likely im playing a game or hanging around on this game related website.

in a game YOU can determine the outcome. you cant do this with a tv show, movie or book (unless you count those dire multi-choice thingies). you can interact with a game, explore. not simply watch read or listen!

you can watch a show with ur buddies, listen 2 a song with u mates and so on, but they do not compare with the abilty to play with them. be it crowded around the tv playing a game or worms or on the other side of the world blowing each other to shit in unreal.

games, to me, just seem a more worthwhile use of my leisure time than just staring endlessly at the TV. which lets face it most of the 'normal people' do when they have nothing better to do.

games can help you make more friends! i have 2 friends from school that i know for a fact if it hadn't been for our shared interest in pso i probably would have lost contact with when i left last year.

Playing a game gives a real sense of achievement. That YOU finished it! You saved the day. not arnold or sly, but you!

*ahem* that all said, you gotta be sure that you don't become totally obsessed. Because those 23hour counter-strike/ everquest binges WILL kill you

game on amigos!

PEACE!!!

I got into games at the age of around 5. I got a Master System II for Christmas, with Sonic and Alex the Kidd in Miracle World. Since then I have been enjoying Video Games up til this present day (I am now 19)

I play video games because I was a social outcast as a kid, and they were the only way I found acceptence. They were the only place I could be someone strong and stand up for others, as strange as it sounds.

So thats why I play video games. I may be older, and actually am social accepted, but they still take up a large part of my life. I have actually denied offers to go to the pub just so I could try and complete a game or meet people on PSO...

Rem