Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

After a long time I decided to get back into Ep 3 online. That means purhcasing another HL. Well, when I tried connecting it said connecting it said "Connection Failed". Then I remembered this happened with my Xbox when trying to connect Xbox LIVE through a Hub. I had to manually input all my connection info. So I did that, and it still says connection failed. The only difference this time is that my comp brings up a little warning saying that "Theres is an IP address conflict with another system on the network". Anyone know how to help?

Oh, if it makes a difference, my comp is running XP and all my Xbox, PC, and GC are connected through a Hub.
    PSZ F/c ~ 4684-9153-6277
    PM if you add me so I can return the favor ^_^
    (check profile for characters if curious)

On 2004-08-25 15:05, Giezus wrote:
    After a long time I decided to get back into Ep 3 online. That means purhcasing another HL. Well, when I tried connecting it said connecting it said "Connection Failed". Then I remembered this happened with my Xbox when trying to connect Xbox LIVE through a Hub. I had to manually input all my connection info. So I did that, and it still says connection failed. The only difference this time is that my comp brings up a little warning saying that "Theres is an IP address conflict with another system on the network". Anyone know how to help?

Oh, if it makes a difference, my comp is running XP and all my Xbox, PC, and GC are connected through a Hub.
    it generally means that you have 2 devices using 1 IP. I have no idea what IP you entered manually, but if it was exactly the same as another machine on the network, you receive that error.

I switched all settings to choose manually and plugged it directly into the Cable box...same thing.

Oh, and something I just noticed is when I tried to reconnect, it says "Requesting to DHCP. Please Wait." Then 30 secs later: "Could not connect to the network...DHCP server may not exist or may be down." Anyone know if it IS down, or is it something I did?
    PSZ F/c ~ 4684-9153-6277

It sounds like your ISP's DHCP server isn't recognizing your BBA mac. What type of service do you have (cable, dsl, satellite, T1?)

Also, are you able to get to the WEBSITE, via your GC?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2004-08-25 18:15 ]</font>

Comcast Cable. And actually its when Im trying to connect to the website, or anything online with the GC is when it brings up the "Requesting to DHCP" box. I could connect to all 3 Episodes about 3 months ago on Comcast, so I dont understand why I cant now...
    PSZ F/c ~ 4684-9153-6277

On 2004-08-25 18:26, Giezus wrote:
    Comcast Cable. And actually its when Im trying to connect to the website, or anything online with the GC is when it brings up the "Requesting to DHCP" box. I could connect to all 3 Episodes about 3 months ago on Comcast, so I dont understand why I cant now...
    I was thinking it was probably Comcast cable lol. 2 things to try. The first is to do a powercycle on your modem. And leave the power off for like 30 seconds to a minute (don't just do a quick unplug and replug.) Then fire it back up (make sure all the lights are up and steady) then try connecting with the GC. If you still get that error, you may need to contact Comcast and ask them to register the BBA mac with their DHCP server.

One thing you may want to try also is entering the IP of your pc nic (except change the last digit to something else) in the network options for PSO.

Some cable companies will only allow a certain amount of IPs per customer (and if you have your pc, the hub, GC and Xbox all connected, I'm sure you are over the limit.) Anything above that you need to pay extra per month. I think IPs are like $2 a month.

Hahaha. IP addresses for $2 a month.
    Try more like $20-$40.

On 2004-08-25 18:58, anwserman wrote:
    Hahaha. IP addresses for $2 a month.
    Try more like $20-$40.
    heh, really? I had no idea they were charging that much. Ouch!!

BTW good luck and have fun at college

Giezus, I copied this from the Comcast support section:

How many IP addresses do I receive with the Comcast High-Speed Internet Service?

Comcast provides and authorizes 1 dynamically assigned IP address per residential High-Speed Internet account. You have the option of purchasing up to 4 additional IP addresses, for a total of 5 dynamic IP addresses. Please contact us for additional details.

Obviously you can get around all of this with a router

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2004-08-25 19:10 ]</font>

Lol, I was just about to put that.

Hmm, but wtf? I tried connecting it directly to the Cable Box earlier. Shouldnt it have worked then? Guess Ill have my sis bring over the Router dad has and see if that works. I already contacted them about it and am hoping I can get this fixed soon. Thanks Violet.
    PSZ F/c ~ 4684-9153-6277

On 2004-08-25 19:29, Giezus wrote:
    Lol, I was just about to put that.

Hmm, but wtf? I tried connecting it directly to the Cable Box earlier. Shouldnt it have worked then? Guess Ill have my sis bring over the Router dad has and see if that works. I already contacted them about it and am hoping I can get this fixed soon. Thanks Violet.
    Any IPs that are connected through your cable box are listed under your account. Although they say you only get one, you can generally squeeze 2 or 3 out of them because they probably allow for people who buy a new nic card or a new pc or maybe they need to connect their laptop. But after that 2 or 3, it refuses to assign anymore IPs. And when you call they may look at the list and wonder why you have 4 of them and only paying for 1.