Whenever a game attempts to create a world where each player can exist and "own" objects they find/earn by playing the game the need for security is paramount.
    People always try to cheat. Be it to max their player, hurt someone else, prove to the game creators how feeble their security measure are, the list goes on.
    What is key here are solid methods for preventing tampering. In reality anything can be hacked and altered in the digital world.
    Therefore the easiest current way to prevent this is limiting access to what people have to hack at.
    This is why saving characters needs to be done on the game's servers. Then you can focus your energies into keeping the servers working and safe rather than guarding files that are floating in everyone's home.
    The problem is that space costs money. But you can overcome this by creating a game that continues to exist beyond the range of normal games. This is why Everquest chose it's name. Think of a PSO2 world where reaching level 100 is just the start of the fun. You work and work and finally reach the peak and what happens on most game? "Good job you win". Why stop there? Imagine a world where reaching 100 means you finally have reached the top of your game and are ready to compete against the other 100 level characters to see who is the best in their area.
    This is what I see as a great goal for PSO2. Quests and competitions for the elite. Open level development which not only adds quests but entire levels to be added which have their own mini-plot.
    Level so hard that you cannot do it alone. You "need" teamwork from others to get through these intense zones.
    Yes, how do you support those that merely want the offline game or cannot get online? Well I would consider the greater good. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. If you spend so much effort on a global communication system that lets people talk to Japan from the US why be so worried about the people that don't even want to use your great developments?
    My suggestion is cater to the future. Make it an online game and an online game only.
    The main problem with this idea is that the cost of running a game such as this will eventually eat of the profits of the release margin. But support the game and you can release more CD's with more levels and keep selling expansions while everyone loves it even more.
    I think I went off topic a bit.
    Um, server side character saves are good because it helps prevent character hacking.

Good solid points here, I know that WoW kind of coined it but multiple factions would be cool as well, think about it, Hunters, Arkz, and a third faction.

Now I dont want these to end up being like wow, I would love to see the irony of having the game have merge moments, were one moment you and some people are going through say, the forests, but all of a sudden the area merges with another factions run, and now you have two factions that would meet and choose whether to fight or not through in game options, and to balance it, all characters levels would be averaged in battle and once the fight ended, you levels returned to normal, and the moment each group leaves the small area the merge ends.

just an idea or two, not perfect but an idea