For the MMO I'm designing, I'm at the point for character creation. And I'd like to be more specific on hair color, instead of the usual: Blonde, Burnette Redhead kinda deal.

I know there's like dozens of shades for each of these colors and I was wondering if anyone can tell me the official names of them? It'd be a big help.

Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, pictures of the hair color with the name of the color would also be greatly appreciated. =)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheOneHero on 2005-06-01 09:51 ]</font>

sound designer & break time participant

why not allow a paint bucket option, and not name them.

On 2005-06-01 09:54, digigram wrote:
    why not allow a paint bucket option, and not name them.
    Well, that's what I had planned before. But I'm trying to get this game to be culture based. (So only certain hair colors/variations etc. etc. will be certain races only)

And I can't actually trust players to follow that rule, chances are some punk kid will make a one of the human cultures running around with bright green hair, or purple, or some other color we humans couldn't be born naturally with. (And since this isn't a futureristic MMO at all, that kind of stuff is out of the question)

But to make up for loosing the paint bucket option, each race will have at least 20+ variations of hair colors, etc. etc. For that given Race - Spieces - Culture.

Which is why I need the names of all the different shades, etc. etc.

sound designer & break time participant

you could have varying shades for paint bucket option. like black brown, cream, grey, and white.. and allow the user to just change the saturation and brightness of each. I think limiting the players to these colors visually would probably be better than telling them "this is brunette"

Soooooo...

You want natural hair colors? o___o..

'Cause I could totally help you out. O:

You could try shampoo websites. Places like l'Oreal or Revlon ought to have a space somewhere with all their hairdye colors available, so all you'd need to do would be to pick whichever you liked best.
    "Sword logic? That's cute."

I suggest buying a big box of Crayola colored pencils and using those names... or go to the hair dye aisle in a grocery store or wherever hair products can be found near you... I know my local store has little fake hair samples next to all the colors with the name of the color listed next to it... i.e. auburn, light auburn, ash brown, platinum blonde etc etc...