I have installed Windows 2000 Professional on a new computer. So far, everything works, except for one thing: Windows refuses to boot up on its own. If I let it go with no help, I will be told on startup: "Disk Boot Failure, insert disk and press Enter." If I do not supply the Windows CD, I can't boot up.

Random facts that might be useful:

-Windows is installed on the E drive, a partition linked with the F and G drive for a ration of 20/20/40 gigabytes. I was planning on installing Linux on the second partition but haven't done so yet.
    -That E drive is formatted as NTFS, F and G drive as FAT 32.
    -The E-F-G hard drive is plugged into a SATA plug and operating in RAID mode. I tried changing it over to IDE mode but it didn't do anything.

Once the CD is supplied on startup, Windows boots normally and operates completely as expected. So what would cause it to ask for the CD to boot like that?
    "Sword logic? That's cute."

Sounds like the boot files aren't where the computer thinks the master boot record is.

You need to boot off the windows 2000 disk like you were going to install it, but instead choose repair at the first prompt to do so. This should take you to the recovery console.

Type fixboot and fixmbr and it should fix your problem.

Did so.

FIXMBR told me my master boot record appeared to be damaged before fixing it.

No effect on the startup though. Still got the same problem... :

UPDATE: Apparently, Fixmbr wrote its master boot record to the C based drive. I tried again and this time specified to do it on the E drive. Still no go.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KodiaX987 on 2005-06-21 05:33 ]</font>

Since it's drive 'E' I'm guessing it's not the first partition on the disk. Your BIOS may not be able to access past the first 1024 cylinders on the disk, meaning you can't boot it unless your boot partition is somewhere on those first 1024 cylinders. New computers should support booting past 1024 Cylinders though... so this probably isn't the problem... but who knows, I'll mention it anyway just in case...
    Check in your BIOS if you have LBA addressing enabled if that option's there?

The partition you're booting from also has to be active. Check with Fdisk. If it's not active it won't be booting.

If that fails, try to install Linux first. Who knows, the dual boot program you'll be using might just work.

Scarlet / ID:aurly; Shock Nurse @ Ship 2!

I went and disabled RAID mode on my SATA drive once again. It hadn't solved the problem yesterday... But it does now! Go figure.

Maybe I played around with something else beforehand and switching over to standard IDE mode just finished nailing the problem. Either way, Windows boots!

Thanks for the help everybody.