Thread: Gaining weight

Before I start off, the point of this topic isn't exactly what some of you might think; I'm ranting about how I can't gain weight.

I'm used to eating correctly and such, but with the edition of my new, more intense workout, things have been a little difficult.

With the 12 week prep time just about done, I'm worried I can't make it up to snuff.

First off, I already eat a lot (about twice as much as an average person) and it's just below enough to keep my body able to survive with this work out. And that was when I was doing 250-300 a day of my three main excersises.

with the bar raised to 400 (and on New Year's day it's going to 500) I know for sure I need to start eating more. (more than double what I eat already)

In fact, right now I already need to start eating more. When laying down, there's a drop off from my rib cage to my stomach. Look at the crude picture below:

--- = rib
    ___ = stomach

_______---------

It's about an inch - inch an half drop off. For anyone that doesn't know anything about the human body, this isn't good.

My problem is basically thus; we don't have a lot of money right now for food that I need for my body to grow. (I'm supposed to be around 190-200 pounds with this workout, and I'm only 150-160 right now.)

I've already asked my mom if she can buy more food (most of it for me and according to my meal plan), but I hate asking for this when money's tight.

I have a few choices:

Continue with my workout and hope we get some extra cash to feed me.

or

Continue with my workout and eat just what I have been eating. (And in this case, I'll only stay with 400-a-day stuff. I can't just stop working out, it's bad for le body.)

My thoughts aren't really focused right now, so I apologize if I lost/confused anyone with my circumstance.

Crazy Awesome Old Potato Man Guy HAYABUSA-FMW-'s Avatar

Are you trying to gain muscle weight or weight in fat?

There is a difference.

Once you're completely toned and ripped, your body will adjust to trying to maintain that level for you.

There is only soo much you will be able to accomplish and a body fat indicator test can help show you this, no?

If you're in the 5% or lower area, there isn't that much more muscle to gain, and adding wieght through calories will take some time if you keep at your regular training schedule.

Once you'te at a level you can maintain for a longer period of time, your body will get used to it and you'll stay at that level unless drastic change happens.

Does what you said concerning your ribs and abdomen sound strange enough to you to get it checked out by a doctor?

What is your calorie intake?, I'm curious to know.

On 2005-11-15 01:34, HAYABUSA-FMW- wrote:
    Are you trying to gain muscle weight or weight in fat?

There is a difference.
    Both. More muscle though.

Once you're completely toned and ripped, your body will adjust to trying to maintain that level for you.
    Already ripped and toned, at least as much as I can get right now.

I guess what my rant is more about, is that I need to start eating more to give my body the nutrients it needs to grow and put on weight.

Does what you said concerning your ribs and abdomen sound strange enough to you to get it checked out by a doctor?
    Nah, it's generally natrual, and has happened to me before. It was mainly an example to show how much I need to gain.

What is your calorie intake?, I'm curious to know.
    To tell the truth, I have no idea what it is. And I'm too lazy to find out.

Anyways, I talked to my mom, and she said she's gonna buy a more food than usual so I can step up how much I eat.

*goes to try and wake up*

Diet is only half the game, You could also be working out incorrectly in order to gain weight.

I have cycles with weight gain as well with my weight training.

The only reason you stop gaining weight even with adequate amount of food coming in is hitting a plateau where your body is convinced it has enough muscle or mass in general to deal with how your workout is.

If you are doing the same exact workout every day of every week you are definetly in a plateau. The body adapts to almost anything and if you actually want to get anywhere body weight wise you are going to HAVE to shock your body into growth.

Now for me I just follow a 4 week training cycle which every week cycles through entirely different routines and then starts all over again after the 4 week cycle. Ideally in your next cycle you will be able to add on weight again to your current workout.

Like I might have a week where my bench press would range about 3 sets of 3 reps at close to 350lbs.

But then the next week I would change to a 5 x 5 set that would not peak as high probably around 315-325 generally according to how I feel that day.

Then the following week I might entirely change it up to either a 10 x 3 or a 10 8 6 cycle which would probably drop me close to around 290 on a 10 x 3 or 280-305 on a 10 8 6.

After a certain amount of years weight training to gain weight this is the ONLY way you are going to convince your muscles to grow more unless you are only like 15 and then your body would most likely be growing anyway.

This coming from the view point of a 25 year old that has been weight training about 10+ years.

Hope it helps

Oh and reading your actual work out it would take about 800-1000+ pushups to get me kinda worked up. Obviously not all at once because that would be a horrid way to try to promote weight gain. After a certain amount of cardio/light weight lifting, your body will begin to burn muscle off when there is a lack of fat or carbs to burn.

La Chupacabra-1/2 Azn Ogre KaFKa's Avatar

I agree with erupt, you definately need to get yourself access to weights if you want to gain more muscle.

You can do 2000 pushups a day and lose muscle, as erupt said.

Also, if money is so tight, you might want to look at possible ways to make money, wether it be mowing lawns or asking the local car wash if they'll hire you.

2 cents.