Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Ok, cast has the SUV-gun and the beast has the powerfull form, but what do you guys think the humans and newmans will get?

On 2006-01-07 18:47, THE1 wrote:
    Ok, cast has the SUV-gun and the beast has the powerfull form, but what do you guys think the humans and newmans will get?
    Since Humans are supposed to be the "balanced" class, I find it doubtful that they will have a special ability.

As for the Newmans, look at this thread:
    http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.p...01&forum=20&46

yes but there is an inbalance if the humans dont get anything like a special attack? maybe its defined by the weapon they are using?

On 2006-01-07 20:35, THE1 wrote:
    yes but there is an inbalance if the humans dont get anything like a special attack? maybe its defined by the weapon they are using?
    What Ryna said. Humans = balanced. There's no reason for them to have a special ability. Unless you consider their special ability to be..average. If every race had a special ability, then it wouldn't really be too special
    SUPER WIZARD EMPEROR

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Seeing as Beasts and Casts have almost no proficiency with Techniques, they're getting their special abilities to make up for it. Casts and Beasts get to do something excessively powerful once every hour, whereas Humans and (even moreso) Newmen get to be very, very good with techniques, in comparison.

Therefore, in comparison to Newmen, Humans must be a little better with melee weapons and guns.

I can see how it's easy to underestimate the impact of being very proficient in usage of Techniques, but still, it's very possible, and probable, that this is the way the game will be balanced.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

On 2006-01-07 21:02, Kent wrote:
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Seeing as Beasts and Casts have almost no proficiency with Techniques, they're getting their special abilities to make up for it. Casts and Beasts get to do something excessively powerful once every hour, whereas Humans and (even moreso) Newmen get to be very, very good with techniques, in comparison.

Therefore, in comparison to Newmen, Humans must be a little better with melee weapons and guns.

I can see how it's easy to underestimate the impact of being very proficient in usage of Techniques, but still, it's very possible, and probable, that this is the way the game will be balanced.
    I'm sorry to say, but I really don't think this is the case.

While Beasts are not as proficient in the use of Techniques, there is no specified "Force" class so if one should choose to they can try to use Techniques. How well will they work? I don't know, but the point is they can. The field they excel in however seems to be hand to hand combat and their special ability plays strongly on that.

It would seem Casts take well to guns, which would explain the SUV which plays on that fact.

Beasts and casts do something excessive once every hour that fleshes out their strongpoints into something that sets them apart from the rest. Beasts with their raw melee capacity, and Casts with their unparalleled ranged attack power. It's only natural that the Newmans and Humans will gain an ability that plays on their strong points.

You sound as if Newmans and Humans don't deserve abilities due to their greater prowess with Techniques, but if you look back at previous online installments of Phantasy Star, you'd remember that the power of Techniques wasn't exactly awe inspiring when compared to the damage capacity of a well equipped Hunter or Ranger. They each had their strongpoints and a place in which they shined. In some cases enemies heavily.. and I mean heavily resisted Techniques, in others enemies would perhaps fly or be evasive to melee attacks giving Rangers and Forces a chance to prove their merit. They were all balanced in some way, and denieing Humans and Newmans an ability to set themselves apart from the rest does not sound like an answer.

Because of a Newman's prowess with techniques it would only be natural for them to gain an ability in relation to that. Perhaps they will temporarily gain an increase in power with Techniques or use of Techniques without depleting PP for a short while.

Humans? I really can't say, they are the average class so if anything, they will gain ability that shows how they are truly a jack of all trades but a master of none. Perhaps they will gain a boost in ability that depends on what weapon they are wielding, showing their proficiency in all fields without necessarily rivaling the power of the other races abilities.

Bottomline, saying Newmans and Humans will have no ability because they're better at Techniques sounds like a load of crap.

Avid Game Devolper(Not commerical)
    Gnawing my thumbs off, in anticipation of PSU

I belive this was mentioned in another thread, but ill say it again.

Human's Special ability is that they have NO WEAKNESS. Yes, this is actually an extremly good special if you think about it.

I guess, newman's special could be that they have an overwhelming tech. proficentcy(sp?). And yes this can be good, seeing as how techs evolve in power the more you use them.(and we do not know the limit of this form of growth.)

There you have it, the humans im posivite, the newmans not so much, but still they are both speculation. But I think they are very close to what it might be.

Down for the Getdown

Someone in another topic that dealt with the races' special abilities. The reason that sonic team is giving Casts and Beasts speacial abilities and (possibly) not Humans and Numans because ST knows that most people are gunna choose Humans and Numans. The special abilities are a way to tempt people into choosing Beast or Casts. IMO I think Humans being the jack-of-all-trades and master-of-none and Numans being very adept at magic is great for balance. Beast and Casts have VERY low mental power which would make it hard for them to be Force-like, and damn-near impossible for them to even try to match Numans at magic-casting. We don't know what kinda techniques ST is adding. For all we know the techniques in this game could be amazing and Beast and Casts having low mental power might turn out to be crippling.

Special abilities aside, the races are balanced and it doesn't seem right to give such awesome abilities to some but not all.

Beasts while they have low mental strength for technique casting, excel in melee combat to make up for that lacking, and in turn their special ability Nanoblasting exploits their prowess turning them into a feral form with even greater strength.

Casts again having low mental strength for techniques make up for it with their incredible accuracy and prowess with guns. And naturally, their special ability Nanotrancing plays up to that by giving them the SUV leaving their ability to use ranged attacks even further ahead of any other race as if it wasn't to begin with.

I can't speak in the case of Humans, but what about the Newman? They have low physical strength and presumably accuracy for use of guns and make up for it with their mental prowess. You say that it'd be near impossible for Beasts and Casts to match a Newman in Technique usage, and this is probably true. But with a Newman's inferior physical ability as their description suggests, don't you think it will be near impossible for them to match Beasts and Casts in melee or ranged combat? That's where the balance is, and the special abilities should only be extra flavor to make every race appealing, not just Beasts and Casts.

But because they can use techniques more proficiently than Casts or Beasts they dont' deserve a special? Could I not ask the same that because Beasts outclass Newmans in melee ability they deserve no special? Since Casts outclass Newmans with guns should they not get a special? If they really were to deny Newmans a special ability, I'd expect Techniques to be near jawdropping to give Casts and Beasts such amazing powers. More times than not, however, magics and techniques in most games aren't the all powerful awe inspiring things people make them out to be. Comparing a high level Hunter to a high level Force in the previous installments is proof enough that they balanced out without the Hunter turning into some super being with even greater power.

Despite being fair or not, depending how you see it. At the moment, unless they decide to change it ONLY beasts and Casts have a PB-like special. Humans and Newmans DO NOT. AT ALL. People can imagine as much as they like that newmans will regain PP and humans will have the ability to fly and shoot lasers from their nipples, but it doesnt change the fact that the last we heard from st, ONLY beasts and casts have specials. In an earlier IGN interview I posted ST went as far as to say that, Humans and Newmans DO NOT and WILL NOT have specials.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Brus on 2006-01-08 01:24 ]</font>