Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

The only thing I'm wondering, is that the ported PS/PSII/PSIII to a GBA title, then why on earth didn't they do this for Phantasy Star IV?

I don't know...PSIV is one of my more favorable PS games, as it takes you back a bit to all of the games, not only for storyline, but as a homage.

That, and I'm a Forren fan.
    I'm still around.

The rumour I've heard is that Sega has actually lost the source code for it.

Which somehow wouldn't surprise me. >_>;;;

Though I'm not sure how well PSIV would translate to the GBA anyway. Them little screens is tiny. Not sure how well it would work with PSIV's style of cutscenes.

Speaking of PSIV, anyone hear anything at all about PSG:3? Did they give up/did it get cancelled/what? Am I just going to have to learn Japanese and import PSG:1 and PSG:2 because the lack of PSG:3 means there's about zip point shit chance of the first two ever coming over here? T_T

...And there have to be more PS fans on this board than are posting here, in fact I know there are. Maybe they just don't know this thread is here because they're like me and never come to off-topic? XD

Anyone like the little Alis sprite I made for my sig?

PSUJP: Nai Calus, M. B. 176 FI 20 | Elly, F. N. 42 FT 5 Requiescat in pace.

The Old Man: Myau, or just an Elder Muskcat?
    I'm inclined to say he's just an Elder Musk Cat. Though I'm sure he's there to represent Myau, since Rune seems to vaugely recognise him.

Anyone manage to get all characters in Phantasy Star II to level 50?
    Only once... but I cheated to do it.

So, what's the stupidest fan theory you've ever heard
    Mike Ripplinger's "The Two Phantasy Stars" where he takes mistranslations and misspellings and consideres them cannon to the offical storyline - seperating the games into different series in the US and JP.

Either that, or the whole "Noah =/= Lutz and Noah was a girl" theory.

What would happen if you gave a numan a Laerma Nut?
    Ever see a HUnewearl with an Angel Wing mag? Something like that I think.

I haven't really had any time to play a PS game. Is one game better than another? For example, would you rather play 3 rather than 2? Or would you play them in order?
    Tastes differ on which one is the "best" - but PSIV is generally considered the most comprehensive and PSIII is generally considered the "oddball".

To play them in order, chronologically, you'd have to play PSI, PSII, PSIV, PSIII since PSIII technically takes place after PSIV.

I guess I don't really have a favorite.

The rumour I've heard is that Sega has actually lost the source code for it.
    Yeah, I heard the same thing. Still, I'm sure if they really wanted to they could decompile the finished product somehow and recreate the game piece by piece.

That may also be what the holdup on Sega Ages PS:G3 is.. though there was a recent shakeup in Sega dropping 3DAges and bringing the remakes inhouse. The lineup has changed a bit, and not much news has been released conserning unfinished titles.

I've heard a rumor that Sonic Team took over development of the Phantasy Star Trilogy and is planning on including it in Phantasy Star Universe as unlockable mini-games - though that seems rather unlikely to me.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

On 2006-03-14 11:18, Sinue_v2 wrote:

Anyone manage to get all characters in Phantasy Star II to level 50?
    Only once... but I cheated to do it.
    My brother-in-law (Gold_Dragoon, here on PSO World) managed to level them all to 50, without hacks, including Nei. It took him a good year or so to do it, but by golly, he got the job done.

Go team ph4il! 02/07/2016

On 2006-03-11 15:38, Ian-KunX wrote:
    The Old Man is just an elder Muskcat. Nobody's ever said how long Muskcats live, but I'm willing to bet it isn't 2000 years.

I'm inordinately fond of PSIV's character interaction.

So, what's the stupidest fan theory you've ever heard?

What would happen if you gave a numan a Laerma Nut?

Who exactly are all those statues in the Esper Mansion in PSIV of? Alis? Why her and not Lutz, which considering the Espers' attitude towards him would make more sense?

Why do the short squat furry things live on the desert planet, and the tall hairless lizard-looking things live on the ice planet? Was the Great Light having an off day when he/she/it created Algol?
    OK, in order:

1. The Old Man of Myst Vale is in fact Myau. There's more than enough evidence to suggest otherwise. You just need play the game to discover so. Musk Cats are different from regular cats in that theyre a species unique to Motavia. Their lifespan can therefore not be determined by an Earth cat lifespan (being 12-15 years on avg).

2. Yes, the character interaction in PSIV is great. Cinemas really do add to the storytelling & humor, of course, helps.

3. Stupidest fan theory I ever heard? That Noah/Lutz is female. It was a major typo in PS1 & Lutz was made reference to in a PSII quote:

"I went to the other side of the crevice. There I saw a beautiful man."

This always stuck with me because I found it hilarious. The Dezorian who said this couldve meant beauty in a physical or a mental sense. Who knows? What is known is he is a HE.

4. If a Numan/Newman ate a Laerma nut? Interesting. You have to wonder about this. Numans were products of human & biomonster DNA. The only being we know of to eat a Laerma nut is Myau, a Motavian. The Laerma are grown on the Altiplano Plateau on Dezoris. Honestly, the only way to know would be to ask a Dezorian.

5. Alis was given a statue because she was revered as the hero who saved Algol. True, she had 3 companions she couldnt do this without. However, it was Alis's quest to end Lassic's reign of terror & avenge her brother. Since she was the one who decided to do something to stop the evil in the land, she is the one most credited. Also, Espers generally tend to keep to themselves. They naturally would respect Lutz, one of their own. For someone like Alis (an outsider) to stand up for what's right, the Espers must've been greatly impressed & thus, were willing to show her much respect.

6. "Why do the short squat furry things live on the desert planet, and the tall hairless lizard-looking things live on the ice planet?"

You're going to have to give me the names of these creatures before I can begin to answer this question. I will say that the Great Light (like any god in any religion) may act in ways that we may not understand. However, there's always a reason behind such things.

On 2006-03-17 10:00, OdinTyler wrote:
    1. The Old Man of Myst Vale is in fact Myau.
    I disagree. When the Old Man presents you with the Silver Tusk, he states that it has been passed down from generation to generation. We know that this is a weapon that Alis & co. purchased in Abion. Therefore, the first owner of the weapon can't be described as having had the weapon passed down from one generation to the next. It might be assumed that he is a descendent of Myau, but it is apparent that he is not in fact, the same muskcat that traveled at Odin's side.

The Old Man expresses that he feels this is not the first time he has met your party, but on the other hand, several of the muskcats express a similar sentiment, and they can't all be Myau. We're left to conclude that this is some sort of ancestral memory interacting with Rune's unusual properties.

Ultimately, the only thing we have left to suggest that The Old Man is Myau, is wishful thinking.

On 2006-03-17 11:56, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
    I disagree. When the Old Man presents you with the Silver Tusk, he states that it has been passed down from generation to generation. We know that this is a weapon that Alis & co. purchased in Abion. Therefore, the first owner of the weapon can't be described as having had the weapon passed down from one generation to the next. It might be assumed that he is a descendent of Myau, but it is apparent that he is not in fact, the same muskcat that traveled at Odin's side.

The Old Man expresses that he feels this is not the first time he has met your party, but on the other hand, several of the muskcats express a similar sentiment, and they can't all be Myau. We're left to conclude that this is some sort of ancestral memory interacting with Rune's unusual properties.

Ultimately, the only thing we have left to suggest that The Old Man is Myau, is wishful thinking.
    Sorry, but, I must disagree with you. First, the Silver Tusk is the Silver Fang (bad translation). It was ONLY Myau's weapon (& most powerful one at that). There was no reason for him or any other Musk Cats to have migrated to (of all places, Dezoris) before then, so there wouldnt have been a transfer of ownership. The Musk Cats moved to Dezoris to save their race. Who did so? Who else? Lutz. Lutz moved the Espers to saved them & he helped Myau save his people. We didnt see any Musk Cats on Dezoris during PSII. Therefore, we can only believe that at some point during that timeline, Lutz helped his old friend during the Great Collapse, after the destruction of Mother Brain.

The Old Man has vague memories of 'meeting the party before' because he is an 'old man' afterall. Human or Musk Cat, one could become senile after existing for so long. Myau (or any Musk Cat) didn't have an orb to place one's memories into for preservation as Lutz had. Before then, he had his chamber to preserve him. When that was damaged, his memories (& probably, his soul) were transferred to that orb. That's a fact within the game. No such item was ever shown or alluded to in the series so it cannot apply to Musk Cats. We also dont know the lifespan of Musk Cats so one cannot say that its not possible for one to live for so long.

As for wishful thinking, its not so. It IS Myau. If this picture doesnt clear things up, I dont know what will:

http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/g...rt9/zosa02.gif

That pic shows two important facts:

1. The Musk Cat shown has eaten Laerma nuts.
    2. All the Laerma nut trees were long since destroyed. If more of them could've eaten them, wouldn't they?

Besides, would they have had a reason to eat them? Myau certainly did. Sega has made many vague references in the past. This is not one such reference. It's a clear cut explanation without the very words: THIS IS MYAU. Sega's never been one to spell things out so literally. To wait for an explanation from them would cause ME to be called The Old Man...and I'm not up for waiting that long.

On 2006-03-17 12:23, OdinTyler wrote:

Sorry, but, I must disagree with you. First, the Silver Tusk is the Silver Fang (bad translation). It was ONLY Myau's weapon (& most powerful one at that).
    Yes, it was Myau's weapon, which was purchased in the original Phantasy Star from a shop in Abion, and it was stated by the Old Man that it was passed down from one generation to the next, which clearly indicates that Myau gave it to his successor.

There was no reason for him or any other Musk Cats to have migrated to (of all places, Dezoris) before then, so there wouldnt have been a transfer of ownership. The Musk Cats moved to Dezoris to save their race. Who did so? Who else? Lutz. Lutz moved the Espers to saved them & he helped Myau save his people. We didnt see any Musk Cats on Dezoris during PSII.
    You're absolutely wrong about them not appearing in Phantasy Star II. The Muskcats were brought to Dezolis as pets by Palman miners.

They're found in the Skure Space Port, and the Magic or Mogic Caps are required to speak to them.

Therefore, we can only believe that at some point during that timeline, Lutz helped his old friend during the Great Collapse, after the destruction of Mother Brain.
    You're making up an undocumented event to justify your belief. Tsk tsk.

The Old Man has vague memories of 'meeting the party before' because he is an 'old man' afterall.
    Does that also explain why the other muskcats find your party familiar?

2. All the Laerma nut trees were long since destroyed. If more of them could've eaten them, wouldn't they?
    It is never stated that the Laerma Tree was destroyed or otherwise extinct. The fact is that it's never been important since the first game, and has therefore gone unmentioned. It's continued existence is unclear, but I submit that there's no indication that it's gone away.

Besides, would they have had a reason to eat them? Myau certainly did.
    It's apparent that The Old Man is revered as a patriachal figure. It makes sense that such a leader would be the one to eat the Laerma nut, as a representation of his power as their leader.

Your rebuttal fails to counterpoint the points that I have made. Do you care to try again, or give in to overwhelming logic?

I admit I forgot about the Musk Cats in PSII. Been so long that I played that & yet, sometimes I remember about the Magic & Mogic Caps & forgot all their uses. LOL I'll give you that. I forgot that. The rest for the most part I still disagree on. Its a widespread belief that The Old Man is in fact Myau & I have no reason to believe otherwise. Your view of The Old Man as a patriarch figure & well revered is justified. No disputing that. But, to give in to 'overwhelming logic'? I'd have to believe as you do for me to consider it logic. Sorry. Not gonna do it.

Oh & the Laerma Tree(s) were in fact destroyed. Wish I could remember where I saw it. But, they were. Simple expanation for why they no longer exist. Miraculously, the Eclipse Torch stayed on (& was 1 of the key components in getting the nuts in the first place).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OdinTyler on 2006-03-17 13:39 ]</font>

To the contrary, the Laerma tree is never mentioned at all after the original Phantasy Star. Not in the main series, not in the Drama CD, not in Phantasy Star Gaiden, and not in Phantasy Star Adventure, and as far as any non-Japanese speaking individuals know, not in the Phantasy Star II Text Adventures, either. The extent that the Phantasy Star Compendium talks about it, is merely a mention that Myau eats its fruit. We've nothing by which to make any assumptions about the fate of the Laerma tree.

So how do you explain The Old Man's description of the weapon being passed from generation to generation? Let's quote him directly from the script.

Good of you to come, visitors. I'm the chief of this valley. Hmm, there is good in your eyes. No wonder you were let through. It's really strange... I have a feeling that this is not the first time we've met. I feel good about putting this in your care. This is a treasure that has been passed on generation after generation. Take it with you. It's the Silver Tusk!
    So if the Old Man is Myau, then what does this statement mean? After all, we know that this is not a weapon that Myau inhereted, as it was, again, purchased in a shop in the original Phantasy Star. Looking back on my resources, I do find that I was wrong about it being in Abion, though it was in fact purchased in the only shop in Loar on Palma.