Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Down for the Getdown

Where do PS Adventure, PS Text Adventures, and PS Gaiden fit into the timeline?

Largely in between Phantasy Star and Phantasy Star II, interestingly enough. Phantasy Star Adventure takes place something like 16 years prior to Phantasy Star II, and is simply enough, a brief adventure of a government agent. The exact placement of Phantasy Star Gaiden isn't really confirmed, but the setting is a planet outside of the Algol system (named Copto), that apparently Alis participated in colonizing. Then there's the Phantasy Star II Text Adventures (one from the perspective of each of the main characters of PSII), which all take place within a few months of the beginning of PSII.

Go team ph4il! 02/07/2016

Its been a while, but If that statement was taken in context AFTER receiving Chaz's elysidon, as if you never found the cave until then, would it make sense that if the old man were myau, he would be able to feel his old companions through it?

I can see how that would contribute to the general feeling of familiarity that the muskcats expressed toward the party, yes. Though seeing as it's not just the old man that expresses this sort of sentiment, but many of the muskcats, I don't see that this substantially contributes to the concept that the old man could be Myau.

Go team ph4il! 02/07/2016

I wonder... is it possible to go from the japanese version on this one since some translations from back then couldn't be trusted.

Actually, as far as Laerma trees go, try looking at the description of Rune's initial weapon, the "Wood-Cane": "A cane made from the wood of a laerumatree." Unless you're going to argue that the slightly different spelling indicates a completely different tree (*sigh*), there's an indication that they're still around close enough to AW 2284 for people to make canes from them.

On 2006-03-11 15:38, Ian-KunX wrote:
    The Old Man is just an elder Muskcat. Nobody's ever said how long Muskcats live, but I'm willing to bet it isn't 2000 years.
    Why not? Dezorians apparently can. ^_- But seriously, I'd rather believe it was Myau just...well, what would be the point of it NOT being Myau? But there's no reason to believe it is.

(Nonetheless, I can't imagine Myau saying to Rika, "Here, take this legendary item which I got at a really good weapon sale a couple of millennia ago.")

Better to spend my time theorizing on where they hang the badminton net, while we're on the subject of mistranslations.

I'm inordinately fond of PSIV's character interaction.
    Yep. First game I ever played where I actually cared about the characters as characters, as opposed to liking them based on their appearance and statistics.

So, what's the stupidest fan theory you've ever heard?
    While I freely admit to having my blood pressure steam over Noah/Lutz, the one fan theory I've never liked was when Mike basically decided all the information given by Rika in the Wreckage scene was a pack of lies.

I would note, however, that no fan has yet suggested seriously that Palm, Palma, and Parma are actually three different planets. We're obviously missing an opportunity here.

What would happen if you gave a numan a Laerma Nut?
    I don't know, but if it was a female Numan the result would probably be more appropriate for hentai doujinshi than the normal ones are.

Who exactly are all those statues in the Esper Mansion in PSIV of? Alis? Why her and not Lutz, which considering the Espers' attitude towards him would make more sense?
    I figure they're of Alis and they were built by Lutz (or more likely, on his orders). After all, it's his mansion, so he gets to pick the decor.

Why do the short squat furry things live on the desert planet, and the tall hairless lizard-looking things live on the ice planet? Was the Great Light having an off day when he/she/it created Algol?
    As far as the furry things go, we have no evidence that Motavia is a hot desert planet. Given the extremes of temperature desert environments experience anyway, fur is probably very handy when one wanders away from the equator. Especially when it switched orbits with Palma.

As for hairless green people on an ice planet...I can't really explain that one. Maybe green was the only color left in heat-retentive skin tones when the Great Light went to Racial-Design-R-Us (slogan: "All An Aspiring Deity Needs To Build His Own Worshippers")?

On 2006-03-26 14:19, DezoPenguin wrote:
    But of COURSE a different spelling means it's a different tree!

Why not? Dezorians apparently can. ^_- But seriously, I'd rather believe it was Myau just...well, what would be the point of it NOT being Myau? But there's no reason to believe it is.
    The same point there is to having a Psycho Wand in PSO that doesn't look anything at all like the actual Psycho Wand, or to naming characters in PSU after PS characters? XD (Rutsu my ASS, ST, I know what you're up to) Useless nostalgia.

(Nonetheless, I can't imagine Myau saying to Rika, "Here, take this legendary item which I got at a really good weapon sale a couple of millennia ago.")
    XD

Better to spend my time theorizing on where they hang the badminton net, while we're on the subject of mistranslations.
    Good old 'hane'. That one pops up annoyingly all the time. >_< Does no one ever stop to think that 'hey, we're talking about things with wings here, maybe that 'feather' definition makes more sense here'? @_x

I would note, however, that no fan has yet suggested seriously that Palm, Palma, and Parma are actually three different planets. We're obviously missing an opportunity here.
    Yeah, we totally are. While we're at it, Dezolis, Dezoris and Dezo are all different planets, and so are Motavia, Motabia and Mota.

Oh, and the Alis we see in Rolf's dream in PSII and the one we see in Elysdeon in PSIV aren't the same Alis from PSI, because they don't look exactly like her! Their hair is all wrong! XD XD XD (Which randomly reminds me of that one screenshot from PSG:2 I saw where Rolf is dreaming and he's fairly obviously naked and Alis looks like she's looking back over her shoulder at him with this totally disgusted look on her face. It cracks me up every time I see it. XD)

I don't know, but if it was a female Numan the result would probably be more appropriate for hentai doujinshi than the normal ones are.
    Oh, I'm sure. Those crazy doujinshi makers can come up with a way to do anything. (I ran across EllyxCal terminal once, and my mind broke.)

I figure they're of Alis and they were built by Lutz (or more likely, on his orders). After all, it's his mansion, so he gets to pick the decor.
    Mmm, probably. (Though it makes you wonder if he didn't like Odin or Myau, then. XD Ooh, ooh, no, wait, another opportunity for a stupid fan theory, Lutz was secretly in love with her and never got around to admitting it. *shot* Ok, Ok, I'll stop. X3 Can I nominate myself for stupidest fan theory? XD)

As far as the furry things go, we have no evidence that Motavia is a hot desert planet. Given the extremes of temperature desert environments experience anyway, fur is probably very handy when one wanders away from the equator. Especially when it switched orbits with Palma.
    You have a point there. I hadn't thought of that, though it might have been hot before the orbit switch. Hard to say.

As for hairless green people on an ice planet...I can't really explain that one. Maybe green was the only color left in heat-retentive skin tones when the Great Light went to Racial-Design-R-Us (slogan: "All An Aspiring Deity Needs To Build His Own Worshippers")?
    XD Maybe the Great Light just had a sense of humour. "LOL, that'll confuse 'em." Though if the Great Light was trying to make its own worshippers, it doesn't seem to have done too well with the Dezolians. *snerk*

At least their facial features make sense. Narrow slitted eyes and flat noses, exactly the kind of thing that would make sense in something that lived where there was cold and snow all the time. (Though I admit that generally, yes, I would also expect a nice thick coating of fur.)

Mmm, another thing that kind of bugged me. Why, exactly, are La Shiec and his minions in PSIV apparently convinced that Rune is Lutz?

(And now you know why I should be forbidden from posting at 5:30 in the morning)

PSUJP: Nai Calus, M. B. 176 FI 20 | Elly, F. N. 42 FT 5 Requiescat in pace.

On 2006-03-27 05:42, Ian-KunX wrote:

Mmm, another thing that kind of bugged me. Why, exactly, are La Shiec and his minions in PSIV apparently convinced that Rune is Lutz?

Mostly like because Lutz consious was contained in the memory sphere that Rune now possed in his head. Or at least the information within it. Kinda like the Matrix of Leadership from Transformers =D

On 2006-03-27 05:42, Ian-KunX wrote:
    Mmm, probably. (Though it makes you wonder if he didn't like Odin or Myau, then. XD Ooh, ooh, no, wait, another opportunity for a stupid fan theory, Lutz was secretly in love with her and never got around to admitting it. *shot* Ok, Ok, I'll stop. X3 Can I nominate myself for stupidest fan theory? XD)
    I hate to say this, Ian...but far from being the "stupidest" fan theory, you're probably fairly close to the canonical truth. Especially when you factor in how Rune liked to stand and stare at the statue of Alis in Termi (okay, he might have been thinking, "Man, her kneecaps were way knobbier than that in real life; what was the sculptor doing?" but somehow I doubt it...), AND how Lutz in PSII managed to tell Rolf all about how Alis saved Algo from Dark Force and overlooked the contributions of the entire rest of the party...including himself...

Yeah, unrequited love works for me, there.

Elly x CAL Terminal??? Um, do you mean the little floaty ones or the big one she sits behind?

Er, maybe I'd better not ask.

(No clue about Lashiec...maybe he's not confused by intergenerational artistic differences as one of his Demonic Evil Powers?)