I've searched in the older threads about chat, but they mainly just talked about keyboards vs. voice chat or the new cut in facial scenes.

MY question on PSU is that if they still included that ever useful option where you can assign certain buttons on the controller (I've used the digital pad directions) for personal quick phrases instead of bringing up that annoying online keyboard all the time.

For PSOX, that was a huge help for times when I couldn't use my mic late at night and/or quick times in battle.
    PSZ: DECOY! (HUcaseal)
    PSZ: Kelemvorite (RAmar)
    PSZ: Troubadour (FOnewmn)
    Friend Code: 3610 2919 6664

PC version: you can assign chat commands to buttons, there are a bunch of default ones in Japanese already set when you get the game. There is no soft keyboard anymore. I'm fairly certain it doesnt exist in the PS2 version either

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ether on 2006-09-14 13:24 ]</font>

There are preset buttons yes.

Instead of assigning it to directions on the D-Pad, what you do (apparently) is press "right" and it will open up a menu of your assigned F1-F12 chat shortcuts.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like you can bind them to custom shouting/thinking bubbles. You can, however, attach them to cut-in chats manually.
    Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

and actually there is a soft keyboard on the ps2 version, press the select button to bring it up.

Ah, thanks guys. So there IS a soft keyboard for PS2. And from what I see, the PC version has these quick phrases options like I'd imagine. But can anyone with the PS2 confirm this as well? Unless A2K meant assigning F1-F12 chat shortcuts to a keyboard with the PS2.

I'm thinking more for the 360 version, (which should be a port version of the PS2, no?). And if I don't plan to buy a keyboard for 360, I'm just wondering if I can still assign certain buttons for chat shortcuts (cause of the lack of F1-F12 buttons). So I'm wondering for those PS2 players as well without keyboards if the shortcuts are possible.

Kinda sucks to hear that I can't assign custom phrases to bubble text tho. Or did you mean "shouting/thinking bubbles" only. But normal bubble text is ok?. I don't want my character expressions to take up screen space all the time, just for common phrases ya know?

Thanks for all the responses so far.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chibiLegolas on 2006-09-14 13:57 ]</font>
    PSZ: DECOY! (HUcaseal)
    PSZ: Kelemvorite (RAmar)
    PSZ: Troubadour (FOnewmn)
    Friend Code: 3610 2919 6664

Yes he was talking about the Ps2 version and i can confirm it.

Pressing "Right" on the Dpad will open up a series of presets which you can use. These presets are also asigned to the F1 - F12 keys for quickers access.

On 2006-09-14 13:38, mechatra wrote:
    and actually there is a soft keyboard on the ps2 version, press the select button to bring it up.
    ya it's pretty practical to being back the soft keyboard since not all have a keyboard lol.

lolDiads
    If Diad was a planet in PSU, I'd live there

On 2006-09-14 13:26, A2K wrote:
    Unfortunately it doesn't seem like you can bind them to custom shouting/thinking bubbles. You can, however, attach them to cut-in chats manually.
    Actually, you can. Check this out.