Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I've been looking at the list of Techniques available to forces in PSU and noticed that there are quite a few new ones. Including direct damage dealing techniques, there are also ones that focus on landing both good and bad status effects - enough to keep a hyperactive little force busy. The question though, is are they worth it, and will there be a demand for them?

In my opinion, the two main factors that will determine this are as follows:
    1. The effectiveness of these spells
    2. The difficulty of Online Network Mode

First, we will explore factor #1, the effectiveness of these spells. It is common sense that the higher level a technique is, the more powerful it is likely to be. Because forces have the highest level techniques, they are our top candidate for the job.

Most people who played PSO probably agree that casting the highest level Deband and Shifta were well worth it - they cost a small amount of TP/MP/PP/whatever, had a decent land radius, and lasted multiple minutes.

The debuffs were a little more optional, depending on how fast monsters died. In a party full of spread needles, by the time you ran into the room to cast Jellen and Zalure, everything was already dead. Not worthwhile. Soloing offline mode, however, they were welcome. For my melee-happy fonewearl, the method to defeat monsters without going through a full stack of 10 trifluid every few rooms was to gather up all the monsters, cast my debuffs, and then whack away with my huge plantain fan or mechgun until everything was dead. Rinse, repeat. The buffs and debuffs were all % based on the level of the technique, so it didn't matter what my gear was.

And then there's the other debuffs! Freezing enemies was great in PSO's PvP until everyone learned the ice trick. Freeze traps were also nice when dealing with annoying enemies like dark gunners that were only attackable by physical attacks for short periods of time. (And unlike the techniques, traps had a near 100% land rate.) Sadly, all bosses were resistant to ice and shock. And then there's the classic spread needle example again... someone walks into the room, freezes the target, but .5 seconds later it's dead because everyone just unloaded their spreadneedles again.

Now in PSU, apparently you need to bind a technique to some sort of wand, rod, or other mage weapon and have it equiped in order to cast a spell. The easiest way to go about this seems to be to bind all your buffs to the same weapon, equip it every few minutes, cast your techs, and then go along yor merry way with whatever other weapon you choose. But wait! If you bind techniques of the same element to a weapon, you are supposed to get some sort of % bonus. Each element has its own set of buffs and debuffs. Does that mean in order to get the biggest boost for my precious pp that I must bind all my buffs and debuffs to different rods? Do mental stats influence the power of buffs? In PSO, the answers were no, and no, but that could change for PSU! It could also be the birth of some crazy weapon swapping. (Which some of us already do anyway!)

My final thought is that PSU parties support 6 people, not 4. The general rule for most RPGs seems the more people you are advised to bring, the more challenging your mission or raid is likely to be. If you are attempting to do the mission with a smaller or lower level group of players, more strategy will be involved. More strategy usually involves a wider use of tactics and abilities. And that includes buffs and debuffs.

In my experiences playing with Force team members, although the new array of techs are neat, it all seems to devolve into the same thing PSO was to forces: Machinegunning Barta and Resta.

Now, I normally keep to myself and don't do a lot of runs with full parties, so said experience is a bit limited, so you're welcome to take the above comment with a grain of salt...

Yeah, I believe that debuffs will help greatly in Online mode seeing how enemies have a large health pool compared to Offline. From my experience with any MMO, healers, buffers, debuffs always made life easier and almost necessary everywhere.
    As for the demand of them, I doubt that it will come to the point where its "ZOMFG!?!?! We dont have support force we cant finizh!!1." In PSO I've always found that forces tend to heal and buff the party without being asked even if they were focusing on damage. Also another thing that PSU will be different from other online games is that its alot easier to heal yourself with items and not relay on healer to keep you alive
    (sorry for any spelling mistakes or the way i said anything ><)

The Last Raven

I remeber in PSO the only useful forses in Ult was a support force and somes in episode 2 ult it realy realy helps to have a support force. My favorite forces had a handbag and a resta merge, you can resta people from the other room.

From my experience in PSO, the simple Shifta + Zalure makes quite a large difference in the amount of damage people are hitting for, and Deband + Jellen could take enemies from taking half my HP in one shot, to doing less than 10 damage per hit (on Ultimate, no less).

If the equivalent techniques in PSU (Agtal, Agdeal, Defbal, Defdeal) are anywhere near as effective, then a Force doing support should be more than welcome. Not to mention, there are a couple other techniques available that reduce or increase stats (Zodial/Zodeal do both ATA and EVP up/down at the same, and Retial increases both TAP and MST - Megistal increases all of your stats, at the cost of HP), as well as what seem to be techniques that directly reduce damage from melee (Dizas) and ranged (Rendis) attacks.

That's ten support techniques, then there's Resta (/obvious), Giresta (raise + regen), and Regene (removes status) for healing techniques. That's a little over a third of one's PA limit (13/36, for those not counting), and I imagine a Force keeping all of these status effects up at once, would make quite a difference for the whole party.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

i think what you will come to find is a lot more Force specialization. since it would seem likely that most forces will want at least a few weapon skills and a few bullets for specific situations, that would mean that forces are going to have to give up some of their technics. So what we will probably find here, that was different from PSO, is a more specialized force. depending on each technic's effectiveness, i could very well see a purely damage dealing force with no buffing ability (besides maybe resta), and I could also see a purely buff/debuff force with a few damage dealing technics. This is actually my hope: that each class develops its own specialization of sorts. hunters will choose specific weapons that they plan on using and learn all the PA's for just those weapons (since im guessing they will be releasing more as time goes on), or pull a jack of all trades type and learn a few PA's for most weapons. Rangers will do the same. This will allow for much more dynamic parties then in PSO where things werea little more cut and dry.

Well, odds are, most of the people going for Fortecher won't get anything but techniques - Since they are doing after a class that specializes in using techniques (and uses them the best), they're probably wanting to use their potential to the fullest - Thus, using all 36 techniques (that being, no skills or bullets), to their fullest potential.

Of course, if new techniques were added in (unlocked), we'd see some interesting setups for Fortechers.

However, it is very likely we'll see individual specialization in the hybrid classes. The Guntecher and Wartecher will most likely choose to specialize in one type of technique, and the rest in skills/bullets (like status boosts + melee weapons, or status debuffs + ranged weapons), or even someone who wants to be an all-out offensive character, with only melee weapon skills and heavy damage techniques. As odd as it seems, we'll probably see more specialization with the hybrid classes, than we will with the specialized ones.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

The pa limit is 20 for normal forces, and 30 for the expert class not 36. I thinks >.>

If the Pa limit was 36 then there would be no specialization because then every force would use every spell.

But, since they can't, there should be all kind of damage or support specs floating about! at least till they become forteforces. I personally don't see forces using weapons very much though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wraith5k on 2006-10-07 13:20 ]</font>

That's not a PA limit, that's the highest level any PA of that type can be levelled up to. Forces, Guntechers, and Wartechers can level their Techniques to level 20, Fortechers can level theirs to level 30.

The PA limit for all characters, is 36, and that governs all skills, bullets, and techniques for that character, regardless of current class.

(reread) shit your right.

Well that's kinda lame. Where are the chances for specialization in anything then?

Unless it it all comes down to what/how many different rods/wands you own/can own.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wraith5k on 2006-10-07 13:31 ]</font>