Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

All we need now is some sort of anti-aliasing, and my life will be complete.
    Phantasy Star Zero; bringing my favourite game to my favourite console.

On 2006-10-13 14:57, Saphion wrote:

All we need now is some sort of anti-aliasing, and my life will be complete.
    QFT.

Can anyone else confirm that there's some in-game anisotropic filtering now? If so, and if it looks decent enough, it would definitely be worth turning off the forced AF for increased performance.

Weird thing is, when I have graphic card-based anisotropic filtering on now, it looks wonky whereas before it was the other way around.

I much preferred the graphic card's anisotropic filtering visually, but with the built-in one I don't suffer at the hands of the crippling slowdown in Mizuraki C.D anymore (hurrah!).

Also, and quite oddly, offline mode is untouched and exactly the same as it was before.

lolDiads
    If Diad was a planet in PSU, I'd live there

It's a mip-mapping filter. It blurs textures based on distance, which has almost completely eliminated texture shimmer in the game. It definitely makes the game look a lot better than it did, though 16x anisotropic filtering blows mip-mapping away.

For the record, the rendering engine seems to be improved, mip-mapping aside. I tested and ran 60 FPS at 1280x1024 better than I did prior to this update, though I still drop frames here and there. I'm going to conduct more testing and will post results later.

Well, in that case...

hurrah for mip-mapping! (And why the heck didn't they support it in the first place?)

On 2006-10-13 16:03, Parn wrote:

It's a mip-mapping filter. It blurs textures based on distance, which has almost completely eliminated texture shimmer in the game. It definitely makes the game look a lot better than it did, though 16x anisotropic filtering blows mip-mapping away.

For the record, the rendering engine seems to be improved, mip-mapping aside. I tested and ran 60 FPS at 1280x1024 better than I did prior to this update, though I still drop frames here and there. I'm going to conduct more testing and will post results later.
    Please do... definitely interested in this.

lolDiads

Alright, here's what I've got.

The game's framerate is definitely above what it used to be, as I used the same methods of inducing slowdown that I did in the past, and I managed to maintain 60 FPS in some spots that I used to drop down to the low 50s, and areas that dropped me down to 30 were around 40-45 instead. Using the sad/smirk face on the 4th floor looking down at the 1st floor of the Guardian's Colony used to make me lose frames, but that's no longer the case after this latest patch.

Windowed mode seems to render the graphics better than fullscreen mode. I don't know why this is the case, but that's just the way it is. Windowed mode is more convenient in almost all cases anyways, so heh... Your mileage may vary. The funny thing about running 1280x1024 windowed mode on my 1280x1024 LCD monitor is that it resizes the game window to fit, and so it ends up displaying a 4:3 aspect ratio, which is what most people see on their own screens. Heh.

As far as graphical quality goes, I can maintain a solid 30 FPS with 16x anisotropic filtering, and as nice as mip-mapping is, it just doesn't compare, and so I'm sticking with my frameskip set to 1 and 16x anisotropic filtering on.

Hoorah! Thanks, Parn.

Now, fingers crossed we get anti-aliasing in the next patch...

lolDiads

And an auto-frameskip setting...

You know, out on the battlefield, the first thing I asked myself after the patch was, "Is this game running faster than normal?"
    I'm gonna go retweak my settings...