This is my first post on these boards. I searched for this error before making this topic, but nothing came up. I'm sorry if there are other threads about this particular error.

So, yesterday I bought PSU, came home, and tried to install it. I get about halfway through the installation process, and this error comes up:

http://img304.imageshack.us/img304/8...roq0.jpg<br />

I've restarted the installation many times, but the same error keeps coming up, on the same file. I don't want to skip the file, because it might be a vital piece of data that could really mess up my game. All the people I've talked to haven't had any ideas on what I should do, but one of them suggested asking here, so that it what I'm doing.

So, any ideas on how to fix this?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tremulant on 2006-10-26 10:38 ]</font>

Whenever you get a CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) error, it means either the file it's trying to copy is corrupted, or the medium to which you are trying to copy it is bad or unreadable, therefore you either have a bad Copy of the DVD, or it's trying to copy it to a bad sector on the hard drive.

You can attack this from either direction:
    -Scan your HDD with an internal (chkcsk or SCANDISK) or external (Hitachi Drive Fitness Test) utility, check for errors, bad sectors, etc.
    -Go back to point of Sale and get another Copy of the game and try again.

Are chkcsk/SCANDISK free, and if so, where can I get them?

They're built into Windows.
    chkdsk is run from a recovery console when booted to the Windows OEM installation disk.
    ScanDisk can be run from:
    Start > My Computer > *Right Click* on the drive > Properties... > Tools Tab > *Left Click* Check Now under "Error-checking > *Check* both "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors"

Thanks a lot! I really hope that works, because the idea of going back to the mall and arguing with some douche to give me a new copy doesn't really intruige me.

So, I ran ScanDisk on my hard drive. I also ran Disk Defragmenter, because someone said it might help. None of that worked, so I went out and got a new disk today. Well, what do you know, same exact installation error. I'm beginning to think that either my hard drive is seriously chubbed, or they got a bad shipment. Either way, it's not looking good.

your image is not showing up so I'm not able to see what the error says. Try reposting the image or just type it out as well as you can.

nm, i got it to show up lol.

That is known as a CRC error. CRC is used to check your data when it is being transferred from on place to another. The error can be caused by hardware or software. For a burned DVD I would say it was an issue with the data that was burned. However in this case, it may be a hardware error. Instead of installing the game from the DVD, try copying all of the data on the DVD to your harddrive and then try installing from there.

Also do you have any virtual drives from something like Daemon tools?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-10-27 16:54 ]</font>

I got the same kind of error, only I got it on PsuOff.exe. Now, CDs work on my DVD-ROM drive, as do other data DVDs. However, not only does the disk give me crap when installing, but the computer also had trouble recognizing the PSU DVD (it loaded up the installer without a hitch; the only problem came when installing PsuOff.exe)--namely, when I went to try and re-run the CD from My Computer, while the PSU icon and the DVD name showed up in My Computer, it told me that the device isn't ready.

My brother is upstairs installing it on his computer right now, and he isn't having the same problem. Anyone know what might be the cause of this error? It is a used DVD with a few (superficial-seeming) blemishes (I tried cleaning with a cloth; eyeglasses cleaner is next), but I'm not sure this is it given that it's installing all right on another computer. My brother does have a portable hard drive, so I'm thinking I'll try installing PSU down here and skipping PsuOff.exe and then having him copy the file onto his portable HD for me to port it down here, but I still don't know how well the installer will handle the rest of the install if it can't do the one file... Failing that, I suppose we could try copying the contents of the DVD onto his portable HD and then installing it from there as another poster suggested.

Ugh. I hate computer problems. I just hope something works, as I've been pretty charged up about getting this game.
    belladonna5012 on the official forums.
    PS0: Katherine (HUmarl 89), FOcaseal (RAcaseal 13), Dreck (HUcaseal 57)
    Offering me free stuff will not convince me to be your Internet Girlfriend.

Well, we managed to deal with the problem in my neck of the woods by having my brother install PSU on his computer, then making the installed files and the registry thingamajogger available over the home network and porting them directly to my computer--so apparently, the problem was just in the installation.

I'm thinking it might be that the PSU DVD requires a dual-layer DVD drive, which I may not have--this box is old, circa 2003. That may be your problem, Tremulant. Installing it on another computer and directly porting the files and registry thingy, like over a network or on a portable hard drive or such, may fix the problem.
    belladonna5012 on the official forums.
    PS0: Katherine (HUmarl 89), FOcaseal (RAcaseal 13), Dreck (HUcaseal 57)
    Offering me free stuff will not convince me to be your Internet Girlfriend.