I just purchased a VGA adapter for my GC. It works fine, but for sixty bucks it seems to be of lesser quality than the one I bought for my Dreamcast at just fifteen bucks a year and a half ago. Sure, it's got more ports but the picture quality isn't very good. I've tried adjusting my monitor to compensate for the poor picture quality, but it hasn't helped any. It's made by Innovation. Any suggestions?

P.S. I've tried entering progressive scan mode by holding down b at the gc logo screen, but can't get my Cube to let me choose it, maybe this is the key?

Well, I think I may have figured out the problem myself. Seems that the image quality is being affected because this switch box is analog, and not digital. *Sighs* this was so much easier on the Dreamcast. ;p

Does the innovation one use the digital out or the analog out of the gamecube?

The Great Majin

It just converts the analog out (poorly) into vga out.

A quality converter can make it look fairly good, but not the best.

The reason the one for the DC was cheap, was because it wasn't a converter. The DC (just like the GCN) supports digital output. The DC VGA adapter just turned on and used the VGA out.

To get this working on the GCN, you must do a lot of work, or pay a lot.

A $30 cable from Nintendo (the Component Cable) has a chip inside that you can adapt to work with a VGA monitor. It takes some tiny soldering and such.
    You can buy these cables pre modded from certain online import stores for about $50 + shipping.

(the following was taken from this thread - http://atarilabs.com/cgi-bin/UltraBo...D=942&P=1&SID= )

Well,you need "Componet Cable" for GCN. In cable's connector(GCN side) there is a strange chip inside. That is D/A Converter. All pin assignments are...

Pin Assign of CMPV-DOL D/A Chip

[1`4] DATA
    [5] 3.3V
    [6`10] DATA
    [11] CLK(50MHz)
    [12] GND
    [13,14] 1.2V Compensation or Filter??
    [15] R-Y
    [16] GND
    [17] B-Y
    [18] 3.3V
    [19] Y
    [20] SENS? (maybe connected to Japanese D Connector)
    [21] Hsync
    [22] Vsync
    [23,24] GND

Pin #12 is switch for Component/RGB mode. You need desoldering that pin and pull up to 3.3V. In that conncector, connector Pin#1 is 3.3V. User 10k ohm to pull up, that may be enough.
    Then, you need connect some conntector to output. Y will become G, BY and BY to B, RT to R.
    At this RGB mode, sync signal will not on Green. So you need connect H and V sync directly from D/A converter. That D/A have separate sync on Pin #21 and #22.

---------

l l l l l l l l l l l l No idea what is #12, #21,#22
    M X B012455 (so please locate those pins)
    l l l l l l l l l l l l
    ooooooooooo<---- Is this Pin#1 of connector ?
    ooooooooooo (since there's #1 mark on it)

----------

http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.groundwater/Main.html

This link shows how to make a slightly different cable, which isn't what you need.
    The pictures do helps how how to connect the resistor in there though.

Ghen , I bought the same Innovation vga box about 6 months ago. The box claims to have great image quality ,but it doesn't. EB stopped carrying this product by me because they were having so many returns.Your only option is the is to buy modded component cable or the Viewsonic VB50HRTV.Check out this review for the VB50HRTV http://www.iemag.com/review_preview/...hrtv/index.asp
    It just drop down to $99.99
    MeatWagon

I really wouldn't recommend 3rd party VGA boxes, or upscan converters for GCN, XBOX, and PS2. They just smear s-video rubbish onto your VGA monitor.

Better off using modded component cables for them.

The Great Majin

I hopefully will get my Component Cable this weekend, and it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to make into a good VGA adpater.

I'll post info when I get it made. (including images of the production for those who need it), and maybe a full guide on the mod to go along with the photos)

Although, I may not get it till next week, which means I won't be able to make it till thanksgiving.

edit:

The Component Cable doesn't get here untill Monday, so I can't make my VGA adapter untill next Wednesday.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MajinSSJVegetto on 2002-11-20 23:32 ]</font>