So my dad got 4 computers from work, all with Windows 2000 Pro. 3 of them we couldn't bypass the password, so we decided to get Windows XP (Pro SP2 i believe). I installed it to three of them, 1 only comes out fine. But I wonder why... one of the failed ones has 4 bit color and 640x480 resolution, and can't be changed. Won't let me install wireless network cards, or anything for that matter (InstallShield doesn't work right...) and the other one still looks like Windows 2000... HELP ME!

I dunno what it is, do I need to get drivers or something?!?!?! I need help

You did scrub the drives, run chkdsk, and install fresh correct? I wouldn't recommend trying to install WinXP over Win2k.

Windows XP has always installed just peachy for me.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

yep, all new and shiny. What ya mean chkdsk?

Boot from the disk (you may need to either change the Boot Priority in BIOS or select the optical drive from a boot menu before XP starts to load.) Delete the existing partition, then select the unpartitioned space to install Windows on. It will ask how you want the space partitioned so make your selection. XP will format the space and then copy installation files to the harddrive. Afterwards it will reboot and you will see the familiar XP install screen. If you don't have driver disks for the pcs, you may need to download and install drivers manually.

chkdsk is a utility you run from the command prompt (either via boot disk or from an existing Windows OS installation). It basically verifys your HDD's surface to make sure there aren't any errors or defects. You don't really want WindowsXP trying to write critical system files to a damaged sector of your HDD. Even if the drives are reletively new - they may still have damaged sectors on them so it's a good idea to run it before any OS installation. (besides, if you happen to buy a new HDD which has 30% of it's space corrupted - you're sure as hell going to want to know ASAP so you can get a refund/replacement).

As far as drivers go - yes, you'll definately want those. I've always had great luck with WindowsXP recognising and installing the appropriate drivers - but Plug & Play isn't perfect. You'll want to install the latest manufacturer's drivers anyhow to provide greater compatability and (in some cases) functionality. Though note that you don't usually have to install the SOFTWARE which come with it. Just the drivers. Though they sometimes have some very handy utilities - blindly installing a bunch of manufacturer software which comes along with a product can sometimes cause conflicts and slow down your system.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!