Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

When has a game > anime ever been successful.

I know of Blade and Soul, FF-series, and Maplestory. They're all pretty terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Friyn View Post
    I'm sorry about this, but it's kind of bothering me. So, you don't like anime, right? In that case, care to explain why do you comission erotic anime style art based on your character?
    So you're saying that single-image art pieces = full-on TV shows with plots, character development, etc.

Are you an idiot, or like, what?

Quote Originally Posted by BIG OLAF View Post
    So you're saying that single-image art pieces = full-on TV shows with plots, character development, etc.

Are you an idiot, or like, what?
    Looks like I struck a nerve.
    topkek

I do enjoy it when twits pat themselves on the back.

Anyway, no, I just legitimately think you're an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG OLAF View Post
    Cool, I guess. Not going to magically make me change my mind, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyly HUmar View Post
    Saying you don't like anime isn't really stupid, it just means that he doesn't derive entertainment from that form of media for one reason or another.online.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious-G View Post
    What's the big deal with Olaf not liking anime? I know many people dismiss it by mistakingly attributing it with the qualities of a genre even though it is a medium, but he doesn't seem to do that. And if he straight-out doesn't like the medium, then what's the big deal? There are plenty people out there that don't like to read books or comics, or watch TV shows of any sort whatsoever. Heck, you will even find people that don't like music as a whole. If you find yourself disliking any form of medium yourself, you should realize that what he said is really not stupid at all.
    Yeah, no, it's still really fucking stupid. Imagine if I said "I don't like live action TV", just think about how wide-reaching and incredibly ignorant that sounds. There is a ridiculously huge range of TV shows spanning many genres - it is simply not possible that you cannot find at least something you like in that entire medium. Quite frankly I don't care if you think you're justified in your bias, writing off an entire medium, regardless of your so-called "justification", is incredibly stupid and meaningless.

I mean, okay, if you said something like "I don't like harem series", "I don't like beta male MCs", "I don't like Japanese humor", or anything more concrete and cogent than "I don't like anime" I would actually understand it because it is at least a criticism that makes goddamn sense. Saying "I don't like anime" only tells me that you are small-minded, ignorant, and possibly prejudiced. I have yet to meet a single individual who's told me "I don't like anime" who doesn't meet at least one of these criteria.

Even saying something like "I don't like Western comic books" would be FUCKING IDIOTIC considering the medium consists of far, far more than the stereotypical superhero genre that it's most famous for. Saying "I don't like the art style" would at least make some semblance of sense but even then not really because there are so many different styles within the medium itself. Does that make sense? It should.

Kind of reminds me of the late Ebert when he said that video games cannot be art, and the massive backlash that ensued. It's simply a fact that Ebert was largely ignorant of the medium that he was criticizing, and when you're ignorant of what you're criticizing it's no goddamn wonder you get people angry when they read your bullshit.

"I don't like anime"
    "I don't like TV"
    "I don't like movies"
    "I don't like books"
    "I don't like video games"

I don't goddamn care what excuses you come up with, anyone who says any one of these lines automatically signposts "I am a moron" upon their person and the only way they can remove it is by taking back their goddamn words and realizing and admitting how incredibly stupid they sound.

Now here's an alternative that you can say that won't push my rage buttons: "I don't watch TV." "I don't watch anime." "I don't watch movies." "I don't read comic books." "I don't play video games." Look at that! They're not loaded statements that immediately put your tastes and knowledge to question, and allow you to simply admit that you are ignorant of the thing that you are definitely ignorant about! How about that?!

NOW GOOD DAY TO YOU, SIR.

Last edited by Zyrusticae; Apr 19, 2014 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrusticae View Post
    Yeah, no, it's still really fucking stupid. Imagine if I said "I don't like live action TV", just think about how wide-reaching and incredibly ignorant that sounds. There is a ridiculously huge range of TV shows spanning many genres - it is simply not possible that you cannot find at least something you like in that entire medium. Quite frankly I don't care if you think you're justified in your bias, writing off an entire medium, regardless of your so-called "justification", is incredibly stupid and meaningless.

I mean, okay, if you said something like "I don't like harem series", "I don't like beta male MCs", "I don't like Japanese humor", or anything more concrete and cogent than "I don't like anime" I would actually understand it because it is at least a criticism that makes goddamn sense. Saying "I don't like anime" only tells me that you are small-minded, ignorant, and possibly prejudiced. I have yet to meet a single individual who's told me "I don't like anime" who doesn't meet at least one of these criteria.

Even saying something like "I don't like Western comic books" would be FUCKING IDIOTIC considering the medium consists of far, far more than the stereotypical superhero genre that it's most famous for. Saying "I don't like the art style" would at least make some semblance of sense but even then not really because there are so many different styles within the medium itself. Does that make sense? It should.

Kind of reminds me of the late Ebert when he said that video games cannot be art, and the massive backlash that ensued. It's simply a fact that Ebert was largely ignorant of the medium that he was criticizing, and when you're ignorant of what you're criticizing it's no goddamn wonder you get people angry when they read your bullshit.

"I don't like anime"
    "I don't like TV"
    "I don't like movies"
    "I don't like books"

I don't goddamn care what excuses you come up with, anyone who says any one of these lines automatically signposts "I am a moron" upon their person and the only way they can remove it is by taking back their goddamn words and realizing and admitting how incredibly stupid they sound.

Now here's an alternative that you can say that won't push my rage buttons: "I don't watch TV." "I don't watch anime." "I don't watch movies." "I don't read comic books." "I don't play video games." Look at that! They're not loaded statements that immediately put your tastes and knowledge to question, and allow you to simply admit that you are ignorant of the thing that you are definitely ignorant about! How about that?!

This is one hell of a long quote.

But I actually know someone that does not enjoy live action television because he just gets bored of live action actors, and hes one hell of an anime freak. You have to understand that people have the ability to not like something, claiming that everyone should like it because you adore it is an even greater ignorance.

Anyway, lets drop the keyboard war and let Olaf have his opinion (lolz opinions on the internet). I just don't think the anime would work out too well if it was about people playing pso2.
    Last edited by Skyly HUmar; Apr 19, 2014 at 02:38 PM.

Credit to MissMalice for the sig.
    Hunter: 65 Fighter: 65
    Retired Classes: Ranger: 40 Gunner: 40
    Force: 40 Techer: 40
    0 on everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrusticae View Post

"I don't like anime"
    "I don't like TV"
    "I don't like movies"
    "I don't like books"

Here we go again, Zyru has an inability to grasp another difference of opinion and goes nuclear, but will later go on about how openminded he is.

Community Manager Cyron Tanryoku's Avatar

gosh

i hate video games

Quote Originally Posted by gigawuts View Post
    Here we go again, Zyru has an inability to grasp another difference of opinion and goes nuclear, but will later go on about how openminded he is.
    While I do think he actually has a decent point, he is letting that bother him more than he should.

Blanket statements of dislike often come across as very dumb because the implication that someone might dislike absolutely every possible thing under a particular large category is kind of ridiculous to start. But its something people do all of the time so its not something I think needs to have a fuss made over it.