Thread: Weird lag?

Default Weird lag?

I've been getting some weird lag for the past month or two. A while ago, Sega did a patch that had some minor graphics changes, specifically to ice effects. I'm not sure what they did, but ever since, I've had lag in multiparty groups. This isn't like normal EQ lag, either. It can happen when there's no EQ planned to happen. I get no fps drops and the game seems to play normally. Enemies attack, people move around and fight, everything looks fine. After a while, my damage numbers stop going off, but everyone else's go off on time with their attacks. When with friends, people report that I die to nothing. We've started calling out when things happen and a lot of the time, I'm about a minute or two behind what everyone else is seeing. When fighting stops, I seem to catch up. But after a while of fighting, I get disconnected. I've become a lame leg to any group I'm with and I've been unable to clear the Elder and Loser EQ. A friend of mine has the same issue but to a lesser degree.

I've tried a file check, resetting my modem and router, changing proxy (I've tried two different ones, including Cyberkitsune's), changing DNS servers, closing all other programs while playing, and setting all graphics to bare minimum (no AA, simple shaders, low textures, etc). Changing DNS servers seems to have maybe helped a tiny bit, but not enough to make EQs, limited, etc, playable.

I'm playing on a Windows 7 laptop. I'm currently using no proxy or tunnel and Comcast is my ISP. I'm playing from the Northwest United States. I use the Tweaker with English patch, large files, story patch, and item translations installed.

Has anyone else had these issues or know what other steps I could try?
    Last edited by kiakan; Jul 20, 2015 at 08:53 AM.

It's been discussed few times before, i think the random network lag starting to become more noticeable since they add ultimate lillipa back then, but as for now i think it's already fixed.

The lag that you experiencing are network lag, reducing graphical feature won't help you a single bit.
    Recently, there's few lag issue like that, few people will gets left behind like a minute or two, or certain mob/boss need some extra time before they can actually spawn, etc.

But i don't really notice this kind of issue for a few days already, are you sure that it's not your ISP that acting up?
    Last edited by wefwq; Jul 20, 2015 at 10:19 AM.

I'll call my ISP later today. They have been having DNS issues for about a month or so. I changed my DNS server but I'm still sometimes getting dropped. I also tried running a trace route to gs016.pso2gs.net. I got a large amount of request timed out after hitting California. One or two hops with .jp in them showed up, but after that, it was all request timed out.

Sorry for the double post. I've changed to Cyberkitsune's proxy. While it seems better, I still get this lag very bad in the limited quest and sometimes in the Beach Wars EQ. It's made it impossible to defeat Gal Gryphon because I'm still stuck unable to warp on some earlier boss. I've heard people complain about lag with ultimate quest effects, but this doesn't seem graphical and happens outside of the the LQ and UQ.

I'm really at a lost of what to do.

It's certain that it's mostly a network issue (I get the same lag too in LQ or EQ where my damage doesn't count and people skipping,) try switching between Wi-Fi or ethernet to see if it helps the issue.

Also, restart your router and flush your DNS cache. It might help a little bit.

From what I've read online, this game actually process your damage, attacks, PP restoration, and items client side. Which can also mean that your system is the one that causes the latency lag due to the different network coding on the game.