Rappy Hunter

Hiya all. I'm playing a Ranger as of right now, have gotten him up to 28th level and I'm finding myself at a crossroads on what to raise for my mag's stats. My mag has around 25 in Pow, Dex and Mind, and 15 in Def. I was going to raise Def to 50, Dex to 25 and Pow to 50 or higher. Mind, though, I'm stumped on. I don't use magic much as a Ranger, but I do use healing and support techniques a lot so I'm not sure if raising Mind any more would be worth it. Not only that but by raising Mind I would be taking points away from something like Pow, which a Ranger so desperately needs. I wasn't going to raise Dex higher than 25 simply because I'm 28th level and already have an ATA of around 160 with my weapons. I figure that by the time I'm 50th level or so, my ATA will be pretty damn high, especially with the nice guns.

So, any experienced Ranger players have any ideas on what I could do with Mind and Pow? Thanks in advance.

Jihef - 73rd Humar
    Lady Ambre - 10+ Hunewearl
    Nickel - 28th Ramar

LvL 96 here...

I suggest you go for the power....I m good at raising mags, mine is:

25DEF
    96POW
    DEX35
    MIND43 something like that..well rounded!

I worked the power 1st then DEF, then went for the other 2 (MIND and DEX) 3/4 through my mags life. My advice, which is good advice...go for one or 2 stats at a time...they go hand in hand, pow and def, then mind and dex. Dont try to work the whole mag unless you have a lot of $$$, for star of course!

Just work the power and defence, most likely sol and trimate will do the trick, dont worry about star untill your mag matures.

Moon for the mind and fluids for DEX.

Watch your IQ and SYNCRO at all times tho! Sol sometimes kills IQ, just look for it, TRIMATE is safe all the way tho.

Hope this helps

Rappy Hunter

Thanks for the reply. You advice was most certainly needed and appreciated. I had a feeling I should go for Pow and you're post confirms that. The only reason I was keeping my stats on equal level was due to my Varaha mag. I got group A for mags which includes Apsaras, Bhirava and Kama. I don't like any of those as I've had them before with my Hunters. I love Varaha though, and was tryin to keep my stats aligned just right so my mag woldn't evolve into something like Kama (yuck), hehe.

Anyway, thanks again.

I have the same...dont go overboard on the power tho, go for somewhat of a well rounded. Somewhere around 100 is best!

Good luck!

I have a level 50 or so Ranger, and a level 121 Mag (Churel) In the early stages of the game I pumped up my DEX stat for accuracy and that allowed me to use alot of RARES and more powerful weapons early, VARISTA, was my first weapon in the low 20's I think when i used it. You should really work on Pow, and Def too. DEF helps for obvious reasons, plus the higher you get the DEF, the chances of you getting cool mags is higher. POW is great because even in the 40's and 50's your stats can max out (in this context I mean not being able to take materials) and when you use your support you will go up to 999, so it is nice to have a mag boost your base stat so you don't always have to use the support magic. (forgot the name.)

Does the POW stat on your Mag also affect the damage done by your ranged weapon? I didn't think so (I thought it was only affecting damage done with hand-to-hand weapons).

I originally started out trying to go for a balanced Mag, but now I've devoted myself exclusively to DEX (it's around 60 or so right now). One nice thing is that the DEX is so high now, even with hard-hard-hard combos, I virtually never miss. I hardly ever use the regular attack anymore, and instead rely on the double-strength hard attack to do the damage.

The problem with Dex on a mag for a ranger is that while it is very nice early on (easier to hit and can use better weapons), later on it is useless (your ata will be maxed naturally without any mag).

Power is the most efficient buy on a mag. You see the most benefit from this stat. If you are looking long term, you probably don't need more than 100, but you will see the benefit of any extra in the short term.

Defense... you can never have enough, but it is so difficult to raise that most people don't have the patience for it.

Mind is a tricky one. One thing that a lot of people don't realize is that you don't need to have a high mind to *use* techniques, only to learn them. Since this is your first mag, you probably want a fair amount of mind on it. But later on, you can get away without it.

Anyway, what is my advice out of all of this? Well, my first mag was perfectly balanced: 50/50/50/50. It was effective for me until level 40 or so, when I thought things through. At that point, I made a 49/150/0/1 mag. (The only reason for the 1 mind was to lock a shape.) This one has been useful to me until currently, at level 79. I will now probably try to grow a 100/99/0/1 mag... thouh I've been hesitant since I worked out just how many feedings that will take. I also want to make a 12/0/1/187 mag, just for learning techniques with.

Oh well, I've rambled too long. Good luck with your little friend.

Celowin

can you tell me what you feed to your mag to get 50/50/50/50 and the 49/150/0/1 mag i really need to know, thanks.