Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Deciding on a class

How do you all go about deciding what class and subclass to pick? Well, I'm sure the subclass decision is all about picking whatever compliments the damage of the main, so really what I'd like to know is how you choose a class. I've tried them all out and honestly I can't decide. Maybe I'm looking for the wrong ideas when I'm deciding, but I'm no veteran. Maybe I'm just too used to Phantasy Star Portable 2 and it's flexibility in what weapons you use. Is it all just a matter of weapon and PA preference?

I generally decide what I want to do when i play a game, every main class has its benefits and usefulness so it isnt an issue of this class sucks or whatever.
    (Though others will tell you otherwise) for sub- i just go by what would benefit the class the best.

am i a Braver? Well Hunter gives me durability and more power,
    am I a Force? Well Techer, or Bouncer give me some benefits of T-atk and damage if i use proper elements for attacking

etc
    Personally from stage 1 I'd choose a style of gaming first Melee/Range/Magic so you dont end up having to make 3 mags for each type... you can then interchange between the different classes without much loss because if youre a strike class your mag will be OK.

"It looks cool this way, let's stop."

You don't have to decide. Just play them all and switch between them based on how you feel or what content you're running.

Quote Originally Posted by Etherwolf View Post
    How do you all go about deciding what class and subclass to pick? Well, I'm sure the subclass decision is all about picking whatever compliments the damage of the main, so really what I'd like to know is how you choose a class. I've tried them all out and honestly I can't decide. Maybe I'm looking for the wrong ideas when I'm deciding, but I'm no veteran. Maybe I'm just too used to Phantasy Star Portable 2 and it's flexibility in what weapons you use. Is it all just a matter of weapon and PA preference?
    Well what do you want to do, what kind of playstyle do you want?

It's not just a matter of weapon preference though, skill trees and utility are important too, which is why I ask what you actually want to do. It's a lot harder to go for a jack of all trades kind of thing in PSO2 though because of how damage multipliers tend to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayara View Post
    I generally decide what I want to do when i play a game, every main class has its benefits and usefulness so it isnt an issue of this class sucks or whatever.
    (Though others will tell you otherwise) for sub- i just go by what would benefit the class the best.

am i a Braver? Well Hunter gives me durability and more power,
    am I a Force? Well Techer, or Bouncer give me some benefits of T-atk and damage if i use proper elements for attacking

etc
    Personally from stage 1 I'd choose a style of gaming first Melee/Range/Magic so you dont end up having to make 3 mags for each type... you can then interchange between the different classes without much loss because if youre a strike class your mag will be OK.
    I've come to realize that no one class setup really outshines another. For the most part they all do certain things equally, if that makes any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayden View Post
    You don't have to decide. Just play them all and switch between them based on how you feel or what content you're running.
    I know you can do that, but still. I think having one preferred/favorite arrangement is nice. I just can't seem to get a grasp of which my favorite is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kondibon View Post
    Well what do you want to do, what kind of playstyle do you want?

It's not just a matter of weapon preference though, skill trees and utility are important too, which is why I ask what you actually want to do. It's a lot harder to go for a jack of all trades kind of thing in PSO2 though because of how damage multipliers tend to work.
    I wanted to go with the whole run and gun thing, but Gunner just feels so stiff and Ranger is too long-range for me. <- Yes, I know how stupid that sounds.
    So for now, I'm looking into melee. I kinda want something that's cool in general, that isn't like a generic "one hit, massive damage, repeat" type deal. Which seems to be what a lot of classes lead to. I guess a melee that doesn't rely on a single PA to deal damage?

Depends on your attack preferances

Follow the path of gunslash and discover salvation.

Dude, I am HU/FI/BO 75/75/75, and I still can't decide which one should I "main".

Though I bought an Ideal Partizan.
    Quote Originally Posted by GHNeko View Post
    oh boy cant wait for this class to be op on release and for everyone and their mom to run only this class for a week and failing all the EQs.

The thing with PSO2 is you can level everything and then pick what you want after.
    Only problem is Mag. If you really don't want to spend any money (it's like $4 for a Mag) you'll have to focus on either melee, ranged or caster.
    Alternatively, you can just make two characters (you get two free slots) that focus on different types.
    Mag exists to boost your stats and allow you to equip stuff faster. However, most people focus on attack stats (ie. pure melee, pure ranged or pure Tech damage).

Here are some tips on what to do when starting out:

1. Decide if you want to focus more on melee, ranged or caster. If you have to, try Hunter/Fighter/Braver, Force, Ranger/Gunner and Bouncer (melee, not for casting) for a few levels, and see what you think. Make sure you try every weapon, and decide which ones you enjoy most.

2. Once you decide which playstyle you enjoy the most, you'll need to decide what other classes to work on at the same time, to complement. At the very least, you will need Hunter or Fighter sub for melee. Gunner or Braver sub for ranged. Techer (and to a lesser extent, Braver and Fighter) sub for caster.

3. When you have decided Main, Sub and next class after that, you can start focusing on your main. Unlock subclass as soon as possible, and don't forget to set it. When you complete orders, turn them in as subclass+third class. Your main will receive EXP as you play, so you want the sub+third class to get as much EXP as possible.

4. Once your subclass and/or third class reach level 55 (I think that's the sub cap) you'll want to decide on a fourth class to level up.

5. When you have a melee sub (Hunter, Fighter, Braver) maxed out, you may want to try Techer main with Wand melee. It's the most effective for wiping out huge amounts of enemies at once (suck them in with Zondeel, whack with regular attacks = victory) but isn't great for bosses.

IMHO, melee is currently very powerful and fun (particularly Partisan and Knuckles). Ranged is good if you get satisfaction from aiming at stuff.
    Twin Guns is more of a melee class. Bouncer is a mix between melee and support Techs.

For reference, here are some of the skill trees I'm currently using.
    You'll want to aim for utility and damage multipliers first (ie. stuff that you're sure you wil come in handy immediately).
    http://pso2-skill.pwnedgalaxy.net/sk...AfakdoIb00000f
    http://pso2-skill.pwnedgalaxy.net/sk...0jdoIb0000000j
    Last edited by TaigaUC; Aug 29, 2015 at 11:38 AM.

A noob ranger here, i have been playing ranger for atleast a year and it's still a fun class to play. I have all other classes at 75 also, they are fun with pros/cons for each class, each combination of main/sub. But well, it's up to you to decide whether a class is interesting or not.