Thread: PSP1 or PSP2?

Default PSP1 or PSP2?

So I purchased a PSP today specifically for Phantasy Star. I downloaded the demo for Phantasy Star Portable 1 and I'm really enjoying it. Is PSP2 better? Or should I buy the first one. They both seem pretty different from each other, but I'm not sure which is better.

Also, other than eBay, does anyone know where I can buy a copy of the American version of the games?

Edit: Thanks for all the replies, guys! I actually found a copy of PSP2 in English for 32 bucks. Used, but beggars cant be choosers I guess. Anyway, you guys have been a real help. I might just pick up PSP1 soon too, because I've grown to really enjoy the demo.

If anyone is interested in helping me level up or just play a few missions my PSN is same as my username.

PSN: Josephchrist863
    Last edited by Josephchrist863; Mar 6, 2014 at 09:47 AM.

Both games are different from the other, you had a sample of what PSP1 is like and that is very similar to the original PSU in the gameplay. PSP2 adds in more diverse elements such as blocking and dodging. Also, the chain system in PSP2 helps dispatch enemies quickly.

As for where you can find them, GameStop or any place that sells used games might be your only option as both games pretty much fell out of the crowd. I imagine PSP2 might be a more difficult find even at GameStop as I have not seen the game in the 5 GameStops I know.
    Interested in playing PSP2i without starting over? Click here to get started or look here for people converting saves.

Both games are good in their own right. PSP2 has quite a bit of content in it, story wise. A lot has been overhauled and changed around compared to PSP1(PP gauge mechanics, new PAs, blocking, and type customization). As for where to buy the games, you can hit up Amazon.com for them. PSP2 has gotten very pricey though due to lack of physical copies available, but you might find a good used copy if you search a bit.

In my honest opinion, I found PSP1 very engaging due to the quality they put into the voice acting, and it felt quite enjoyable for being a PSU lite. Unfortunately PSP2 can't hold the same light due to SEGA stripping nearly all the voice acting out of the game. However, it is still quite good.

Edit: Ninja'd
    Remembering the Universe. Click below!

Rappy Hunter

If you going for PSP2, I suggest you should play PSP2i instead of it, PSP2i maybe japannese only, but it better than PSP2 because of some reason:

- Technics are useless in PSP2 (except shifta and deband), hardly do any damage to mobs.
    - Weapon damaging system is very unbalance in PSP2 (double saber and spear is too strong to compare with other melee weapon, and while tech is useless in PSP2, some weapon use tech for damage like bow are useless too). In PSP2i, they buffed tech so much, so you shouldn't worry about it.
    - Shields have been f*cking buffed in PSP2i, is fun to have just a shield equipped, wondering around blocking and laughing while mobs can't do anything to you.
    - More missions in PSP2i (freaking more!), a new glass-cannon race, more job lever, and more items, weapons, etc...
    - DEF and MIND are useless in PSP2 (that will make human excel at... nothing), they are scaled now in PSP2i.

It's like PSP2i is a fixed patch for PSP2, too bad Sega don't release it in English.

I left out a fair bit, didn't want to go into detail.

Generally, the second game is quite difficult to find nowadays more so with Sega pulling the game off of the Playstation store making it quite the find whereever available.

For PSP2i, there's the additional cost of importing the game and generally getting it to work with a Japanese PSN ID for the online mode. The game has since been pulled off of the PS store and it may not be as costly now as it used to be, the language barrier may seem daunting as well as the x and o buttons being reversed.
    Last edited by blace; Mar 6, 2014 at 06:32 AM.
    Interested in playing PSP2i without starting over? Click here to get started or look here for people converting saves.

Rappy Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by blace View Post
    For PSP2i, there's the additional cost of importing the game and generally getting it to work with a Japanese PSN ID for the online mode. The game has since been pulled off of the PS store and it may not be as costly now as it used to be, the language barrier may seem daunting as well as the x and o buttons being reversed.
    I agree, a translation written by Devifoxx just write aboud the new story in PSP2i, so if Josephchrist863 playing PSP2i, he need to read other translation of someone else in order to understand the original story in PSP2 as well.

But as I saying, PSP2i is way more better than PSP2 on the term of gameplay, contents and error fixed, so language barrier may seem not a big reason enough if Josephchrist863 want to enjoy the game to the fullest.

psp2 was better for me. I had an easier time going online and playing with people. Psp1 wasn't bad and now i'm starting to miss playing it.

I was given a new PSP for my birthday (the local GameStop had 6 in stock) I am currently trying to build out my collection of games for it. I am trying to get a hold of PSP2, and PSP1 but is it worth importing PSP 2i?

Would the save from the US PSP2 work on the JP PSP2i?
    EVGA x58 Classified 759 Motherboard, Intel 990X CPU @ 4.2 GHz
    Corsair 1200 watt Power Supply, 12 GB DDR3 Corsair
    3x GTX 480's in SLi, Corsair 800D Case
    Please Read, Connection Issue Template.

It wouldn't be compatible as the saves are from differing regions. Refer to my signature if you're interested.

The other thing is that PSP2i requires you to input it's Little Wing License and it is only accessible through a JP SEN/PSN ID.

Skilled Fighter DeathDragon2332's Avatar

PSP=PSU and PSP2 is quite different. I prefer PSP because I liked PSU more than the PSP2 and PSP2i style. I never liked the whole combo system or a few other game mechanics that they introduced.