Page 434 of 466 FirstFirst ... 334384424431432433434435436437444 ... LastLast
Results 4,331 to 4,340 of 4655

MGS5. Surprisingly enjoyable. I like messing around.

I tried Dragon's Dogma Online. The guides I found on Reddit were full of incorrect or vague information.
    In actuality, the JP region/timecode thing isn't needed, just a VPN for launcher (and possibly for downloading the installer).
    Once the launcher starts loading the update images/text, you can turn off the VPN.
    Same goes for patching, you can disable the VPN as soon as it starts updating.
    IIRC the game won't boot unless you have 4-6 gigs free space on its install drive at all times. Weirdness.

So... DDO is a lot more underwhelming that I imagined. It's basically a typical boring MMO now.
    Makes me want to go play the original Dragon's Dogma.
    Character creation is somewhat lacking here and there. Faces all end up looking similar.
    There's a weird jaggy bump issue on the contours of the cheeks when viewed from 45 degree angle. No way to fix it.
    For some reason, player names must be in English, but everything else is in JP. NPCs are in Katakana. Super bizarre.
    Some of the hairstyles look like they were ported straight out of the PS3/XBox original game.

NPC lip sync is super bad, with gums flapping for a long while after audio ends.
    There are weird clipping issues that I wouldn't expect from a current game.
    For example, starting cloak clipping through legs, shield constantly clipping through hand, body, etc.
    Weird animation here and there. NPCs in cutscenes kinda turn around like the first Biohazard/Resident Evil on PSX.
    Oh, and there are tons and tons of cutscenes.
    Get ready for lots and lots of enemy-stand-there-growling-at-screen and NPCs flapping gums. Zzz.

With GTX 970, game runs at 60fps most of the time, even at maximum? settings. Seems like there's still object fade in at average distance, even at maximum settings.
    When out in the field looking far off into the distance, frame rate drops to 40 (maximum settings). Not bad, I guess.
    Vegetation seems to be blowing heavily in the wind all the time. Dunno if that ever varies or not.
    City is gigantic and always devoid of people. It's one of those games where the city is so pointlessly big that it has its own teleport system.
    Lots of running back and forth. As the JP review on 4gamer states, it doesn't feel like the free exploration adventure that the first one was.

Dunno if I'm playing properly but flying enemies are a nightmare as melee.
    Priest spells don't feel satisfying. Dunno about Sorcerer spells, because apparently that class needs to be unlocked later on.
    They removed the ability to climb onto livestock and crawl all over them like a cockroach. I am disappoint.
    I already don't want to play it anymore.

Edit: More reviews in. Even the higher scores are complaining about the same issues.
    http://www.4gamer.net/games/289/G028...l#review_25571
    http://www.4gamer.net/games/289/G028...l#review_25596

I didn't pay attention to the positives, but here's a quick list of general negative complaints:
    - Pawn AI sucks
    - GUI is a pain; designed for console
    - Scratch rate is shit (5% rare)
    - Craft not implemented, but materials fill bags/storage and cannot be sorted
    - Stressful economics?
    - Bag will get full in 30 minutes
    - Very difficult to make a cute female
    - Gradually becomes very monotonous repetition
    - Real money cost is way too high
    - Scenario sucks
    - Huge environments, long distance to walk, big pain
    - Boring compared to original game
    - Graphics are a little outdated
    - Enemies are always in the same place, game has almost no random
    - No community or player search options, very difficult to register friends
    - Quick PT system always ends up taking 10-20 minutes to match players
    - Only 100 people in the entire huge world at once?
    - Trash mobs boring
    - Bosses are downed using the same pattern every time.
    - Dungeons have no random, loot is exactly the same, dungeon patterns are always the same.
    - Bosses just drop gold and mats, and crafting is boring so it's not satisfying at all.

It's true that the visuals somehow look worse than the previous game.
    They also don't look as nice as TERA or BnS.

Edit2: Wow. Played it a little more and it's a lot worse than I imagined.
    Granted, I didn't bother reading most of the tutorials (they're really obnoxious and jump in front of the screen all the time).
    I'm not a fan of games that need to explain every single little mechanic to you in great detail.
    I just want to jump into the game and figure it out for myself. GUI should be mostly self explanatory, not require a lecture. I think most people would agree with this.

I've tried Swordsman, Priest and Archer (Hunter) briefly. Archer seemed the most fun, but the controls are still kinda counterintuitive.
    When you want to cast a specific arrow attack, you hit a combination of buttons to put you in that attack state, and you need to cancel it to use other arrow attacks.
    For example, if I use charged arrow shot, it will just keep charging arrow shots one after another until I cancel out of charged arrow shot state.
    Bow uses gunshot sounds for some reason. I'm not kidding. It literally uses a gunshot sound.
    Hunter can use this weird jumpkick and standing kick that either pushes enemies back or makes the hunter bounce away. Feels very floaty and ridiculous.

Stamina is a pain up the ass and not fun at all. Yes, I get the concept of stamina is supposed to stop people spamming, but it's never fun for me.
    I hated it in Skyward Sword, I hated it in Dragon's Dogma.
    Archer reload bows is interesting, though. A bar appears and you must hit the key at the right time to replenish more arrows.
    If you miss the timing, you get punished by a "duhhhhhhhh?" animation that leaves you vulnerable. Weird.

When you die, you get a weakened debuff that lasts for about 15 minutes. On top of being teleported all the way back into town. How archaic.
    It seems everyone's storage is kept in a small box in the middle of town square. I don't think I've ever experienced that in a game before.
    The music in general is boring and forgettable, and the battle music is especially annoying.
    The town is really gigantic and there's almost never anybody in it. You have to run for about 1-3 minutes to get anywhere.
    It's even more annoying because the areas in town are broken up into small sections - you enter gateways that fade out and load into other sections.
    They are disjointed too. For example, you exit an area at the bottom of a giant stairway. When it loads, you're in the building at the end of that stairway..
    Modern MMOs tend to be seamless. DDO is not. Even the original Dragon's Dogma didn't have broken-up town sections, although some small areas are separate.

There is a teleport, fairly deep inside town (you have to run through about 3 huge rooms from the exit).
    Using it allows you to pick various areas to teleport to. Except, you have to pick them by name from a list. You can't pick them from the map.
    And the map isn't full screen, it's a tiny map that slides too fast when you try to scroll through it.
    That's not all. When you teleport within the hometown/castle, there is no effect. It fades in and out instantly. And you can't teleport back, you have to run all the way back.
    If you want to teleport to nearby towns, it costs quite a bit of cash. Basically my entire savings up until that point. There's a fancy effect if you teleport between towns.
    I hear that you have a limited number of revives unless you pay real money.

After the prologue and first NPC introduction quest, cutscenes do not have voices.
    Super ultra lazy. Lighting in general is very generic and poor, like PSO2. But at least the textures are better.
    Except, when you're running across the ridiculously huge and barren countryside, you can see tiled grass textures covering large areas.
    It's obvious, too. Somewhat visible jaggies on the floor terrain.
    At one point, I entered a building and the game took over my camera to show off an NPC. But I could still move. Never encountered that in this kind of game before.

Never have I seen so many horrible design issues in an MMO. The original game had some stupid issues, but this is far worse.
    I expected Capcom to screw it up, but not this badly. It's vastly inferior to Dragon's Dogma, and maybe any other online MMO.

Of course, this is all just my opinion and personal experience. Well, except for stuff like the reviews all complaining about the same issues.
    You're free to try the game yourself, so by all means please do so if you wish.
    Last edited by TaigaUC; Sep 14, 2015 at 06:38 AM.

Meanwhile, I've played the game for the last two weeks being hopelessly addicted to it.

As far as I'm concerned, the core gameplay is mostly intact. Yeah, they took out a number of enemy behaviors (wolves dragging you away so they can gnaw on you, being able to grab harpies, ogres grabbing female party members so they can eat them, etc.), but this is still bloody Dragon's Dogma with online co-op, and that's where the game truly shines.

In fact, so much so that it makes their spiel about being able to solo with pawns that much more of a frustrating lie. The game was NOT designed for that. At all. The enrage stamina system alone is proof enough - it was clearly designed for four players (or three + priest) jumping on the monster and pulling all at once. Either pawns need to do the same, OR they need to scale stamina based on the number of human players within the party, because pulling on something for minutes straight is indeed incredibly boring and likely a huge contributor to players' negative impressions of the game.

The shield sage AI is also incredibly, frustratingly dumb - though to be fair, it also seems to be highly monster-specific, as I find it strangely effective against the likes of the lindwurm (which is also one of the most difficult bosses in the game, so fair play there I guess). I find I have much less trouble with pawns of other classes - though I have yet to use a melee pawn in my party, so I don't know how they fare there (and most players don't have one, either, probably for the same reasons).

And yeah, there are a lot of weird faux pas in this game - the UI design is frustratingly console-centric and lacks key features (like a "last online at" column for the clan list - how the hell am I supposed to manage 100 members without one?), the chat character limit is insanely low (yes, even accounting for japanese characters), UI elements can't be resized and repositioned, etc., etc.

But despite all of this I am having more fun with this game than any other in recent memory (bar maybe Blade & Soul). This is likely because I joined a big (English-speaking) guild and constantly have others to mess around with, and that's when the core gameplay really shines through. It's just a ton of fun to go around romping through the countryside slaying whatever we happen upon in our path. The final area especially rewards cooperative play, since the bloody grimwargs are almost impossible to deal with solo and there are a LOT of them. You can even split up in the lower level areas to tackle all the world quests in quick succession. I actually rather enjoy seeing all the quest completion pop-ups coming in non-stop.

The game also does a good job of giving me tons of little goals to work towards - completing my board quest dailies, filling out all the world quests on the map (they reset weekly), getting every area to max rank (done), filling out the dragon force orb tree (done), leveling my pawns and myself in multiple different classes while filling them out with gear, and so on and so forth. I am just awash with things to do and can't foresee myself running out any time soon.

I also couldn't disagree more with regards to the music. The town music is nice, relaxing, and atmospheric, and the battle music...

I mean, just listen to this shit!

I still get pumped by the end-of-battle theme. It's just so gloriously adrenaline-raising when you've been fighting to bring down a tough monster for the last ten minutes straight. It's a shame that you rarely get to hear much of it when you're in party because human players are just too damn good at killing things quickly.

But yeah - the one big complaint everyone has (besides the pawn AI, which can be made irrelevant) is the sheer amount of crafting mats and the lack of storage space with which to keep it all on hand. If it were like PSO2 where you got 200 spaces free, 200 with OTP, and another 300 with premium this would not be an issue - but you only get 120 spaces free and 200 spaces premium, which is NOT enough when you're dealing with hundreds of different crafting mats in addition to normal gear and consumables. I've been managing (with premium storage) by simply selling off any cheap materials and hoarding the rest, but even then I'm constantly having to finagle my storage into submission by selling off old gear that I still planned to use down the line, as well as throwing out any consumables that I don't plan on using almost immediately.

All of the downsides are at least addressable in some form or fashion, so I suspect the game has a lot of growth potential ahead of it. And it's still some of the best core gameplay in the business, so that's likely to carry it a long way as well. Still, we'll have to see how they expand the game going forward, and see if they actually address the more common and loudly-voiced complaints. Me? I guess I'm easy to please, because I'm still playing this game and don't plan on stopping any time soon.

Oh, and the game actually looks pretty decent when you throw on some SGSSAA and SweetFX (which is actually an option because thank goodness they don't use Gameguard or any of its equivalents):
    Spoiler!

So, in summary: Do not play this game solo. Find people to play it with. When you do, this is one of the most fun coop games you'll ever spend time on.

You dont always have to pull on the boss to get rid of the stamina. Alternatively, you can abuse an attack with an element they're weak to enough to completely knock them out of rage mode. There are other options besides humping their backs.

On the topic of enemies, chimera is actually more scarier in this game due to the fact that none of his parts can be broken and the rage mode keeps him alive longer.
    A good portion of trash mobs can also be scary. Zombie enemies are boring and take years to attack, but shit like a group of ghost knights and grimwargs definitely aren't.
    Some unfortunate cases of a fall from grace from the old game is the Gryphon however.

My actual one complaint with the game is that big enemies do start boiling down to a specific flowchart that does get (and looks) repetitive and un-stylish after awhile, especially with all the cyclops/dread ape variations, but I'm sure I'll be less jaded about it when I start fighting Dragons.

Anyway, the game has big updates coming. Lots more custom skills (hoard that JP!) and classes, so if your favorite move is missing then it'd probably be added soonish.
    Last edited by Xaelouse; Sep 14, 2015 at 06:34 PM.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Metal Gear Solid V. So much win.

Gotta finish up Dead Space and Star Wars KOTOR 2 for my YouTube channel, then move on to Dead Space 2.

Then I'll be streaming MGO3 when it drops. Oct 6 9PM EST. My body is ready.
    Ship 02 - Ur, Player ID: Niare Sky
    75/55 BR/BOdewearl Niare Sky, 54/40 GU/RAmar Davin Carver
    YouTube Channel here - check it out!
    PSO2 Story Playlists: Episode 1 | Episode 2

Im currently playing Fallout 3, lol that game is huge. It normally takes me 2 days of playing to beat a regular shooters game like the call of duty games but this one i can already tell is going to take much MUCH longer lol. Im also playing travian ( a free browser game) on the US speed server and i like to play Age of Empires 2 the Conquerors (its expansion). I love strategy games especially that one. If any of you want to play together or play on travian or even want to play age of empires

tried the demo for Legend of Legacy. it's fuckin' garbage. leveling your stats and weapons is completely fucking random as is getting skills.

also tried out Rivals of Aether. it was pretty fun, but not really much to it right now in early access

Last weekend I finished Splinter Cell Blacklist, which was mostly okay but also falls into the same unforgivable problems that a lot of stealth games suffer from (unclear feedback, trial & error, lack of checkpoints, etc.) I also found out only after I bought it that the Wii U version is the only console version that doesn't have split-screen co-op, so there's really no way for me to finish the entire campaign (since some of the missions are locked to co-op only and this many years after release nobody is playing online co-op). Then again I bought the game for $6 new, so... it's not so bad.

I also randomly popped in Dead Space Extraction the other night and was surprised at how well it holds up. I had recently been playing through Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles again and I was enjoying Dead Space Extraction way more. I might even try playing through it again from the start.

Other than that, I've mostly been unwinding after work by playing Hyrule Warriors adventure mode while listening to podcasts. One of these days I'll actually finish the game.

Replaying Undertale, which was rather amusing and fun. I'm trying to do see the different endings of the game, so I'm doing a clean run this time around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hojv0m3TqA
    Last edited by Orange_Coconut; Sep 23, 2015 at 02:16 PM.

Mighty No. 9 demo is out so I'm playing it.

it isn't good