Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ok, as of today, it seems there's some new code on the server. While I don't know specifically what they're doing, it seems as if they're checking the time of your game to see if it's newer than when you last left. So if you go back to a backup save, the server sees that it has less time or whatever than when it last saw you. Then it can "fix" your save which it says there's a problem with. The fix is it deletes everything you had. Yep, everything. All of your items.

While I understand Sega is trying to stop the people from copying items, you can't say "ha, stupid duper, he lost all his stuff, good." Because I've already seen innocent people who didn't do anything wrong lose things because of the game's poor save system, then try to go to a backup save, causing them to lose everything they had. I have one friend who lost everything, then after that it said his save was corrupted, and he even lost his character. Which would be ok if he could go to the backup save he had. But he can't do that anymore. And I know a friend of a friend who also lost all his items for the same reason.

Good for Sega for trying to stop people from copying stuff. Go Sega. (Sarcasm there, if you couldn't tell.) If they're going to fix it so that people can't cheat, good for them. But if they're going to do it at the cost of screwing over people who did nothing wrong, then they should seriously reconsider their anti-cheat methods. And remember, none of you will be able to back up your characters either. So I hope you're not too attached to them.

"And remember, none of you will be able to back up your characters either."

Well, if it works the way you say it does, it won't prevent people from backing up their character; they just have to be more careful about it.

For example, at 85 hours, you make a save/backup. At 90 hours, you get the ol' BSOD, and scramble your character. So you revert to your 85-hour backup. You just have to make sure to log as many hours offline as to get it up to/beyond the point where the server last saw you (90). Annoying, yes, but hardly the final word.

Incidently, this unfortunately seems to provide the loophole for Dupers to avoid the server 'corrections'....?

I am going to test this with a backup right now, will get back to you shortly with the result. If so I might quit.
    Playing as Keahi on Phantasy Star Portable 2 - US Version.

Its true, I stress for you all to call 1-800-USA-SEGA and protest this!!

Now I cannot log on til they remove this or never or I will lose everything.

Its true, I stress for you all to call 1-800-USA-SEGA and protest this!!

Now I cannot log on til they remove this or never or I will lose everything.

ambrai, shuddup u stupid cheating wanker. HA HAH too bad

Yes, it COULD work if you racked up the hours on the backup file, but let's be realistic here... Even if it does work, you could be offline for days or a week before you were able to even attempt to get online again, and who knows if that even works? Nobody backs up their save every few hours, and I'm guessing nobody even backs up their save daily. IF it worked, you would at the very least be likely to be offline for quite some time.

I have a level 100 humar and a level 65 force, and In all my times of play, I have been bsod about 10 times, disconnected dozens of times, and even had my dc power shut off, but never have I lost anything other than some worthless weapons. If you pull your modem cord during a black screen then it will save your game. There will be VERY few people who suffer character erases, and its mostly because these people don't know to pull their modem.

I think stopping duping is worth a few character erases. I wouldn't mind losing a character as long as the duping stopped.

I have a level 100 humar and a level 65 force, and In all my times of play, I have been bsod about 10 times, disconnected dozens of times, and even had my dc power shut off, but never have I lost anything other than some worthless weapons. If you pull your modem cord during a black screen then it will save your game. There will be VERY few people who suffer character erases, and its mostly because these people don't know to pull their modem.

I think stopping duping is worth a few character erases. I wouldn't mind losing a character as long as the duping stopped.
    You're one of the lucky ones then. I myself have lost items more than once, and I would say that you've got at least a 75% chance of losing items if the power goes off or the DC freezes up or is reset. Most of my friends have also lost items at least once, and they all know to pull the cord and disconnect when they get a bsod. Just doing that doesn't guarantee that you won't lose anything. So you can say that they don't know what they're doing, but the fact is, they do, and so do I, and we've all still lost at least something, while you were one of the lucky few who didn't.

I don't think that most people will completely lose their character. But some will have the bad luck to have that happen, regardless of whether or not they knew what they were doing. While you may willingly give up a character, I'd prefer to keep a character that I've spent close to 400 hours on, even if it means some newbie is walking around with a holy ray while an Opa Opa is flying behind them.

Damn IGN just added dupe's trick in their code page.....