Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Reasons/solutions for PSO2 crashing with shading enabled.

Hey there.

I've made this thread is to draw out the reasons (and if possible solutions) for PSO2 when shadowing/shading is enabled. I'll be buying a new PC pretty soon, and it that solves it then great. But I'd like to know exactly what is the problem though.
    Last edited by Coatl; Jun 15, 2012 at 02:59 PM.

Mine was crashing whenever I would try to create a character. Is this what caused it? If so, how can I turn off shadowing so that I can play tomorrow?

Usually having the slider higher to the right at 3 and higher have the shaders on, 2 and 1 has it off, turning it higher and your gpu can't handle it might make your game crash at certain points, try turning it lower and see if that fixes your issue, really donno where the shadowing option is though.

Open the launcher.
    Choose the second button down to open the config screen.
    Open the fourth tab to the right.
    Here are the graphics options that are changed by the slider. On the left you've got the detail going high to low from top to bottom, and the box on the right changes whether the shadowing is enabled. Top is on, bottom is off. Generally speaking, the settings go:

1 - Low Textures, Shadowing Off
    3- Medium Textures, Shadowing On
    5 - High Textures, Shadowing On

To save settings, click the bottom-right button, then click the left button in the dialog box that comes up. What card are you running it on? If it's old enough to be replaced, it really might be the problem, sad to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeris View Post
    Usually having the slider higher to the right at 3 and higher have the shaders on, 2 and 1 has it off, turning it higher and your gpu can't handle it might make your game crash at certain points, try turning it lower and see if that fixes your issue, really donno where the shadowing option is though.
    I am not necessarily looking to fix the issue, I am more looking for the reason for why the issue exists. Turning the shader off does fix the problem though.

It being because of GPU is a viable reason though.

Quote Originally Posted by buri-chan View Post
    What card are you running it on? If it's old enough to be replaced, it really might be the problem, sad to say.
    My graphics card is ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200.
    Not going to manage?
    Last edited by Coatl; Jun 15, 2012 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coatl View Post
    I am not necessarily looking to fix the issue, I am more looking for the reason for why the issue exists. Turning the shader off does fix the problem though.

Not going to manage?
    That card is an onboard card, so I would be surprised if it runs this game at all...

Technically it's not even a GPU, it's not a dedicated processing unit.

Get 550 Ti, BOOM. Sorted.

You can try updating the drivers and then updating your DirectX.
    EVGA x58 Classified 759 Motherboard, Intel 990X CPU @ 4.2 GHz
    Corsair 1200 watt Power Supply, 12 GB DDR3 Corsair
    3x GTX 480's in SLi, Corsair 800D Case
    Please Read, Connection Issue Template.

Quote Originally Posted by Coatl View Post

Not going to manage?
    My laptop has an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 and the game crashes with shaders on as well. I think the frame rate would probably be too slow if I could use them, though.

The slider fixed it! I couldn't figure out what was wrong this morning, but at least I'll be able to participate in part 2 of the POBT. Desert/Bouquet rifle, here I come.