Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PSP won't connect to router

This has never happened before, for some reason, my PSP won't connect to my home wireless router anymore. What could have happened?

Router: Linksys WRT150N

Connection Type: Automatic Configuration - DHCP
    IP Address: Auto
    Subnet Mask: Auto
    Network Mode: Mixed
    Radio Band: Auto
    Wide & Standard Channel: Auto
    Security: WEP enabled

Firmware: v1.00.5
    Last edited by Anon_Fire; Jan 15, 2012 at 10:06 PM. Reason: re-arranged details
    Nintendo Switch: 5668-1176-9106

Try reseting both devices. Pull the plug for a few seconds and then plug the router back in and see if that lets it connect. If it doesn't work try reseting the PSP through the system menu. My PSP will sometimes not connect to my wireless hardware but pulling the plug seems to do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Try reseting both devices. Pull the plug for a few seconds and then plug the router back in and see if that lets it connect. If it doesn't work try reseting the PSP through the system menu. My PSP will sometimes not connect to my wireless hardware but pulling the plug seems to do the trick.
    Unplugged router for 30 secconds, plugged it back in and still nothing. Reset my PSP to default settings and nothing.

Could someone in your family have changed the settings on your router? Maybe added a blacklist or a whitelist?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Could someone in your family have changed the settings on your router? Maybe added a blacklist or a whitelist?
    My 3DS and Wii can connect to the router just fine, I am so stumped

Wielder of the Neiclaws Ce'Nedra's Avatar

I got the same problem with my PSP. My psp never worked on this router we got a year ago. Everything else works perfectly fine somehow. I got a 3000 serie PSP if that matters anything.

It might be a setting on your router. Initially my router prevented me from connecting, and I had to manually change the settings on it through a computer that's directly connected to the router.
    Interested in playing PSP2i without starting over? Click here to get started or look here for people converting saves.

updated on first post.

I don't think there's a blacklist enabled on the router because it's in my brother's bedroom.

Best hide your food when I'm around! Mystic_Nessly's Avatar

What I explain below is how I understand the issue from my experiences with my routers and may not be correct for your situation. By no means am I an expert in networking. I'm just trying to help with the limited knowledge I have.

This has happened to me on my PSP and used to happen on my PCs (all connecting to the router wirelessly) all the time. My issue was that the wireless devices, PSP included, were having IP address conflicts. My permanent solution was to manually assign static IP addresses to each wireless device in my home network.

I have used 2 different models of Linksys routers and 1 Asus router. On all the routers, I have had IP address conflicts when I didn't manually set static IP addresses. Whether or not it's the devices or the routers that are the root of the problem, I am not sure.

IP address conflict example:

• Device A tries to connect to internet. The router assigns the device the lowest (lowest in counting) available IP address, 192.168.1.100.
    • Device A goes into a "sleep mode" state and disconnects from the internet but still retains the IP address it was assigned.
    • Later, Device B tries to connect to the internet. (Because Device A is not active on the network, the address 192.168.1.100 is still available for use.) The router assigns Device B the same address it assigned Device A.
    • While Device B is still in use on the network, Device A is turned on and tries to attempt to connect using the IP address it was previously assigned by the router, 192.168.1.100.
    • Since Device B is currently already using 192.168.1.100, Device A cannot connect to the internet.

To solve the problem, you can manually assign each device on your network an IP address. Doing so will prevent the IP address conflict from arising.

QUICK SOLUTION:
    If an IP address conflict is your issue with your PSP, as it was with mine, then the following should fix it:

Configure your PSP so that it has a static IP address.
    Assuming your router starts automatically assigning devices IP addresses at 192.168.1.100, set the IP address of your PSP higher, like at 192.168.1.120. This will provide the router 20 addresses of automatic assigning before another device on your network is automatically assigned 192.168.1.100.

To set the IP address of the PSP, access the connection settings. Instead of selecting the "automatic" option, select "manual." You should see various fields, including IP address, gateway, subnet mask, and DNS server. The values you will need to enter depend on how your router is already configured.

I'm fairly certain your router configurations will be very similar to mine, seeing as they're both by Linksys and for home use, but they may not be the same.

If you need more help, give me a holler.

====
    If there is anyone else who can clarify or correct me, please feel free to do so.