Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

1 : Super Mario Bros. (NES)
    Being the flagship title of the Nintendo Entertainment System, this game single handedly revived home console gaming in the mid-80's. The iconic main character and simplistic, yet addictive, gameplay would later influence games from then on, and continue being a symbol of gaming for decades.

2 : Grand Teft Auto III (PS2)
    The GTA series started out somewhat unpopular, growing a little more into the light as the series continued. It was when GTA III was released did the series skyrocket into stardom, becoming infamous among parents and anal-retentives. Addicting, and controversial gameplay made this a staple for any video game library, and is well known even outside of gaming circles.

3 : Super Mario 64 (N64)
    The flagship title for the N64. Changing the formula for the Mario universe was a risky, but necessary manuver, and Nintendo hit it on the nose. The entire format of gameplay for Mario 64, different dynamic stages of exploration with several different collectables, has been seen in many subsequent games such as Banjo-Kazooie, and Vexx. It's obvious that this was one of the most influential games of the 3D era.

4 : Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
    After Super Mario 64's popularity started to die down, Nintendo released another smash hit. Another breakthrough in 3D gaming, being reletively new to mainstream console games, was being shaped with N64. OoT was also another risky, but necessary, switch of gameplay to an old classic. The introduction of such styles game OoT a fresh, new feel but also retained some ofthe classic charm of the series. Definately the one game that influenced other third-person action/adventure games.

5: Doom (PC)
    Doom is most definately one of the champs of the video game relm. If you're into first-person shooters, it's also one of the games you SHOULD have played as a kid, sort of a "right of passage". Very simplistic design, yet very addicting, Doom not only brought the first-person shooter genre into the faces of so many, but also brough the multiplayer, the level modifications, free distribution, and so many other elements that made this game so widely popular. Not only was the player base so great, but the game, itself, was a target of controversy, making it even more popular because it was so.

5 : Quake (PC)
    idSoftware hit it again with Quake. When the internet was just starting to mature, becoming more interconnected among more users than before, id Software realized that the future of competitive gaming lay with the Internet. Quake was the first game whose multiplayer could be played against many people on the Internet rather than with only three other people on a local network, and thus throwing Quake, and especially id Software, into the halls of the greats.

6 : Goldeneye 007 (N64)
    In 1997, the FPS genre got a major kick to ht the balls. Goldeneye 007 took a great Bond movie, and turned it into a great FPS, showing that shooting up a room of creatures and running to the goal wasn't the most important thing in the world. Objectives and stealth was introduced, giving a facelift of fresh to the genre, and changing it forever. Allbeit that its multiplayer was a little lacking compared to Quake, but it was great for console gamers. The N64's four port system allowed 4 friends to shoot out each other in four corners of a televeision, screaming STOP LOOKING AT MY SCREEN and having a grea ttime.

7 : Final Fantasy 7 (PSX)
    The first RPG to ever use 3D modeling and FMV cuscenes to tell a story of great magnitude that touched the hearts of gamers everywhere. It's the one game that stands out in the FF series, the most popular RPG, and the probably the one game with the WORST fanboy base ever. This is the only Final Fantasy game to recieve constant expanstions to its universe (aside from FF:XI) and will probably continue to grow as time goes on.

9 : Tetris (Gameboy)
    The GameBoy's flagship title. This game, along, recieved so much attention (aside from it's controversy with copyright) that it's seen as a classic in the eyes of gamers. The addicting puzzle game sucks you right in, and does not let you out until you hear that buzz, and the little fanfare of failure hits you right in the face. Spawning more clones and releases among many systems, and by many names and alterations, Tetris became THE game every other subsequent puzzle game has wanted to be.

10:Super Mario Kart (SNES)
    Racing games are racing games. There's really nothing different about most of them, even back in the days of the SNES. Granted, there are a few upgrades to the genre as time went on, but nothing as majorly ground breaking as KART RACING has come along. Mario Kart became another MUST HAVE in the SNES library. The entire idea of kart racing, and the elements used within it, are also seen in many subsequent games, directly influencing the racing genre and spawning a huge subgenre with just one title.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2006-02-22 14:29 ]</font>

Who is this guy again? Shadowpawn's Avatar

A lot Nintendo titles...Sega gets no love. v.v

On 2006-02-22 08:54, Shadowpawn wrote:
    A lot Nintendo titles...Sega gets no love. v.v
    Sega raped itself in the early years.

One example:

"Hey, I got a great idea."

"Hmm?"

"Let's release the 32X, and charge like, 500$ dollars for this little add-on with only five or so games and cause it to hardly work!"

"BRILLIANT!"

Speaking of which, I wish my brother hadn't have sold his 32X. =/

I'm not so sure that GTA 3 should be at #2. Sure, it's influenced a lot of games since its release with the go anywhere, free city roam type of idea... But Mario 64 started that. GTA 3 was very controversial and influential because of its popularity, despite other games having very similar formats, just not in a vulgar, violent and modern setting. It certainly should be on the list because of all of the other companies that have tried to make similar games, capitlizing on it's success, but should it be at #2? I really don't think so.

And, where is Street Fighter? The father of all fighting games? Even if fighting games aren't as popular as they used to be, don't we still hear "HADOKEN!!" sometimes? Everybody knows Hadoken Street Fighter has influenced games, anime, movies and then some.

Ocarina of Time was fantastic and influential... but The Legend of Zelda for NES was definately much more influential. It was the first adventure game of it's kind and calibur. And if you want to go really far back... ADVENTURE for Atari may have been even more influential then Zelda, being the very first game of it's kind, period.

And shouldn't Mario 64 be at #1? Here's why I think so.

Super Mario Brothers influenced Mario 64, sure.. but it was just a platforming game. Lots of others followed, but think about Mario 64 for a second.

Analog Control: M64 made Analog Control the standard, which we see in every game now.

3D Graphics/3D world/Miyamoto's Dream (The World in a Box): Shigeru Miyamoto tried to create a virtual world for the first time with Mario 64. It had never been done like this. You could freely come and go where you wanted and interact with virual characters in a colorful, lifelike and 3 dimensional world. This has also become standard for almost any other game.

Mario 64 ultimately set a standard that we see in almost every console game now, with the exception of a few genres such as racing or puzzle games. Even RPGs use the things that Mario 64 was developed to flaunt. Nobody had ever played anything quite like it and after playing it, nobody wanted to go back.

Sony began to demand that companies who were liscensed to develop games on their hardware would make 3D games to compete. Countless games would have never existed otherwise. Megaman Legends is just one example. Classic characters everywhere began coming into 3D as a result of trying to keep up with what Mario 64 had started.

It's a great, well thought out list with a lot of good points, so I'm definately not putting you down. You're right about most of it. Just adding my 2 cents is all

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Atayin on 2006-02-22 10:30 ]</font>

Don't hate me because I am a Lunga! Hate me becaus roygbiv's Avatar

If you are talking about influential... then Ultima Underworld probably should get some sort of mention.

" id Software programmer John Carmack has himself said that the engine used for Wolfenstein 3D was inspired by a technology demo of the first Ultima Underworld game."

Likewise sadly Ultima Online probably deserves some sort of mention for getting the mmorpg genre rolling.

Dune 2? Warcraft? Starcraft?

Diablo?

Ultima 7?

The more I think about it, it'd be quite a challenge to make a very accurate top 10 most influential games list. Doing so would probably require a pretty moderate amount of research and a lot of it would boil down to general opinion. All things considered, I don't think that Skorp did so bad with his list. It'd be impossible to make a perfect top 10 list, or atleast I think it would be.

This space for rent.

See this is why it's called "Skorps List". He can put whatever he wants on it. I looked at the list, and I think if I were to make one, it'd be very similar. The one thing I would definite add(from personal opinion), would be Ultima Exodus for the NES.

Don't hate me because I am a Lunga! Hate me becaus roygbiv's Avatar

Ultima games... influential and totally underrated.

Haha yeah. So, it was a good call changing the thread name to "Skorp's top 10". And, wow, I had completely forgotten about Ultima on the NES. Come to think of it, I've never even played it. I need to go give that a spin right now..

Hmmm. I don't think you can cover everything with 10 games. So many genres, so many consoles.