Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mapping gamepad keys to a keyboard?

Hello there everyone.

While I've been able to make due with keyboard controls, there is one small thing (I feel its big) that the current keyboard settings available won't let me do, and I think mapping gamepad controls onto the keyboard may be the solution I'm looking for. However, I have a feeling this may require the programs which must not be named (3rd party), so if this turns out to be a no-no I apologize.

I've heard of it being done before for the sake of other games, but I'm not familiar with the process. But essentially what I want to do is be able to rotate the camera using my keyboard. If you look at the in-game settings, you'll see under the gamepad options you can set camera rotation but you cannot under the keyboard options, thus my delimma. As for why I'd like to do such a crazy thing, it's because I'm a fairly strange player, in that I never use my mouse (unless its a point-click game like D3), and I've never in my 9 to 12 years of playing online games used W,A,S,D to move a character (blasphemy I know).

So, ya. If anyone has any ideas on how to accomplish this without getting in trouble, your advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Spellbinder; Jul 3, 2012 at 01:06 AM. Reason: derped the title

... the game by default supports gamepads. Go spend $12 and get a 360 controller.

Quote Originally Posted by arusiasotto View Post
    ... the game by default supports gamepads. Go spend $12 and get a 360 controller.
    I don't want to use a controller, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered posting.

Vulcan Taint Pincher moorebounce's Avatar

You know the title of your post has nothing to do with what you just asked. To most people a gamepad and controller are the same thing myself included. You must have just started being weird because you would have found a way to re-map you keyboard keys before now. You might want to google if you can re-map your keyboard.
    PSO2 JP Ship 2 Jazmin - HUcaseal - Team: Paranoia-Gaming
    PSO2 NA Ship 3 Orro Munroe HUcaseal - Team: Dark Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by moorebounce View Post
    You know the title of your post has nothing to do with what you just asked. To most people a gamepad and controller are the same thing myself included. You must have just started being weird because you would have found a way to re-map you keyboard keys before now. You might want to google if you can re-map your keyboard.
    *looks at title... facepalm*... Sorry.. I'll fix that now.

Edit:

I've never encountered a game where I needed to re-map my keyboard to function like a game controller before, so I don't know what works and what doesn't. If anyone has a recommendation, however, I'd be grateful to hear it.
    Last edited by Spellbinder; Jul 3, 2012 at 01:08 AM.

It may still be unclear what I'm aiming for, so just to try and reiterate, I essentially want the game to think my keyboard is a controller, allowing me to use gamepad settings with my keyboard. I've asked my friends already and the don't think it's possible. I'm hoping they're wrong.

http://headsoft.com.au/index.php?category=vjoy
    I don't know if this is exactly what are you looking for but yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Spellbinder View Post
    It may still be unclear what I'm aiming for, so just to try and reiterate, I essentially want the game to think my keyboard is a controller, allowing me to use gamepad settings with my keyboard. I've asked my friends already and the don't think it's possible. I'm hoping they're wrong.
    Here you go this may be what you're looking for. If not you may want to wait until you can explain what you want in better detail. Looking at the keyboard setup you can actually play w/o using a mouse.

http://pso2blog.wordpress.com/keyboard-controls/

Quote Originally Posted by jooozek View Post
    http://headsoft.com.au/index.php?category=vjoy
    I don't know if this is exactly what are you looking for but yeah.
    Thanks for the link. When the game's up and running I'll give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by moorebounce
    Here you go this may be what you're looking for. If not you may want to wait until you can explain what you want in better detail. Looking at the keyboard setup you can actually play w/o using a mouse.

http://pso2blog.wordpress.com/keyboard-controls/
    I'm fairly familiar with the game's current control setup, and I've attempted to modify it the best I can to settings I'm accustomed to. But in order to turn the camera I'd have to use the mouse, and my right hand is for movement, so you can see how problematic that'd be if I need to adjust the camera while moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Spellbinder View Post
    I'm fairly familiar with the game's current control setup, and I've attempted to modify it the best I can to settings I'm accustomed to. But in order to turn the camera I'd have to use the mouse, and my right hand is for movement, so you can see how problematic that'd be if I need to adjust the camera while moving.
    Now I know what you're talking about. Theres no way you can replace the mouse for camera movement with a keyboard. Thats what it's main function is. In PSO you could play it w/o using a mouse because the camera was automatic to some degree and all you had to do was hit the camera reset button when it got too out of whack.