Default why are rangers so hard to play as

They are harder to use in this than in zero

I've never played Infinity, but in PSP2 Ranger is a pretty decent class especially for multiplayer.

Ranger is fun

Chidori / Ship2, Also feel free to visit us at http://gunvalk.saik0.com

What weapons are you finding hard to play exactly? because most of them are just strafe, some First person view, or point blank shotgun in the face. Well, in Portable 2 they changed the strafe for lock on... maybe it's a little more complicated than PSU but it's still simple.

I'm having trouble mainly with grenade launchers and don't know what melee weapon would be best

Well, in PSP2 grenades act really like PSZ missiles, they go straight instead of making an arc. But I don't remember their area of attack, in PSU was a good dragon killer. But gunmaster was good enough without it and using only the shotgun.

Pew Pew can get boring really is fast, is all I can think of.
    Miranda F Newman Fighter (PSO2: NG) Ship 2
    ~Past Characters~
    DC PSO: Silhouette HUnewearl 100 ŧ 102 (Ver.2)
    GC PSO: Silhouette HUnewearl 161 :: Za'leshea FOnewearl 172
    PSU: Eternia F Beast FF15 Lvl142(PC) :: Elemia F Cast GM20 lvl174(360)

Rangers are one of the easiest classes to play as in Infinity. CSII is pretty close to the godly side of broken, IMO. It's not even so much the damage, but the fact that it kicks you back out of counter-attack range and flinches big enemies while knocking smaller mobs on their back without scattering them... allowing you pretty much free reign to pump a few more rounds into them for a small combo and set up for the next attack point blank into a cluster. Other than Shotguns, a good rifle (or longbow if you're MST heavy) are pretty much your go-to weapons for most of solo mode. Laser CSI is pretty decent as well for clearing smaller enemies that like to bunch up.

Grenades are only really useful for slow multi-hitbox enemies that are on the ground, and even then, it's going to chew up your PP. I'd only use it for multiplayer when the HU's and FO's break chain on said large enemies, or just use regular fire to stun-lock larger enemies like Svaltus or Ginna Bete so other members can manage them easier... you'll get a feel for what it knocks down. Don't use on smaller enemies. The knockback scatters them and you loose a key advantage of a grenade launcher... multi-hit.

Online, Twin Handguns are going to be your best friend for building chains.

I never really did find much use for Crossbows or Machine Guns, but usually I only have enough room in my pallet for one extra non-gun weapon, and that's usually a good Rod with Buffs and Resta.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

I feel like the Shotgun CII is the most broken because of itīs good against everything mechanic and safety against numbers with no drawback other then range..can spam all day almost.

Laser Cannon CII is good for groups but hard to use effectively if the enemies donīt die easiely.. and that Shotgun CII really makes you question itīs usefulness since the Shotgun has the priviledge to hits multiple targets with the normal shots to chain with itīs perfectly executed CII to take advantage and Laser advantage can only penetrate the enemies in lines to keep up which is not that useful when the group advantage do a circle motion to attack and enemies rarely line up.

Rifleīs CI is great for distance shots and boss weakpoints, but hardly that useful without that knockdown ability since enemies like to close in fast and the Photon bullet for knockdown is too weak and PP consuming.

Grenade Launcher CI is really good for big targets with multiple weakpoints like the dragon bosses, but thatīs about it.
    The Charge II is just way to PP consuming for that little extra damage it does so i just ignore it.

Twin Handgun CI though never fails. Good for almost any situation, but not broken.
    Crossbow CI is nice if you go point-blank shooting and itīs like a mobile shotgun but weaker.
    Machine Gun CI powerwise isnīt too bad, it just lacks the Range and has a Photon Bullet that uses meseeta instead of PP which makes it alot more useful.

What Machine gun and Crossbow do lack is a First person aim mode so you gotta have something for the situation that needs it.

I only speak for Solo mode since i donīt play online.
    But i say this, always have a rod or wand with Zalure. It breaks any evasion the enemies might have so you very rarely see 0 numbers with it.
    I always keep one around incase that lv200+ something is a Wolf or something and buff everyone with Deband since it gives them ridiculous evasion.
    Last edited by darkante; Jul 18, 2014 at 04:45 AM.
    [PSO2] Darkante: Cast HU-44/RA-43/FI-42/GU-30
    Astral Storm: Newman F HU-35
    [PSP2:I]
    RB3 - Dark Knight "Ante" : Cast M Lv 200/ JLv Hu50/Ra50/F30/Va46
    RB3 - Crimson Sky: Beast F Lv 174/ JLv Hu34/Ra18/Fo1/Va50
    RB0 - Zone Dynamite: Beast M Lv 76/ JLv Hu0/Ra7/Fo0/Va0