Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

In general, it would seem Japanese players are much more pleasant if you're speaking their language; foreign or not. Though most of the ones I end up with in parties are very nice. Even if you don't speak Japanese and join a full-Japanese party, they tend to be quite pleasant. Though, these are only my experiences from PSU and PSO2's Beta.
    The real hardcore players are the ones having fun! ...Me? Hehe...

Well, the number of xenophobic Japanese constitutes a pretty low percentage of beta testers. The rest are mostly pretty chill.

I guess the only people that might be annoyed are those that stay in Block 20 and have to deal with Saber and that other person spamming the Miku and Saber symbol arts.

-Wayu

It's too bad that we're getting blamed for lag/instability. I played with a guy earlier who didn't speak much English, but he was extremely friendly, and when we parted ways, we thanked each other for the game.

Keep in mind that the purpose of Alpha/Beta tests are designed to get feedback, and obviously, having hundreds of people who can't even speak your language can get between issues and fixes. The thinking goes that the spots that we're taking up on their servers could go to Japanese people who can report the bugs that they find, whereas we can't (in many cases).

Still, as Icespike said, I act like a guest, and generally keep to myself unless I'm with English-speaking individuals.

Yeah the JP never did like the lobby chat, apparently its rude, like talking on the phone in a train.
    net-tequette i suppose. with so many blocks im sure its gonna be okay.

anyone know what the block limits are?

edit; @Yamishi they wanted 100,000 SIMULTANEOUS connections, the obviously didnt get it so far, because they added +3 invites for everyone
    so at SEGA HQ im sure they're not bothered who connects to the server
    Last edited by eharima; Apr 22, 2012 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eharima View Post
    edit; @Yamishi they wanted 100,000 SIMULTANEOUS connections, the obviously didnt get it so far, because they added +3 invites for everyone
    so at SEGA HQ im sure they're not bothered who connects to the server
    Valid point, but some of my friends who registered didn't get in... Wouldn't that indicate that they did hit 100,000? Or is there more to this?

At any rate, there's absolutely no doubt that they can see our IPs at SoJ, so they obviously don't mind us being there. It's just that I don't want JP players to be upset with us! :P

^ did they apply for the beta or was an invite??
    either way they wanted to stress test the server, and dont forget that new people = downloading th 3.3gb client, which has to be hosted by sega, so they might have wanted to constrain bandwidth seeing as there was lag problems, they might have held off on the new applicants.... just a guess

and TBH we did manage to organize ourselves as a mob to take down ship 2 lobby 20 haha we're kinda out the way

Quote Originally Posted by BuyTheChicken View Post
    Funny you mention this!

One of the top threads on the Japanese Closed Beta BBS is actually about Foreigners being on the game...and its not very positive
    Some are even saying we are causing the servers to lag and even go down, as was the case of Block 20...these people also proposed IP blocking to keep us out. Overall pretty negative stuff about us being on this beta...
    The odd clever person added positive comments such as overseas markets being full of SEGA fans who would like to take part in these types of pre-release tests and frankly i can only agree...both on our behalf but also from a marketing perspective.
    Unfortunate, and... Unfortunately unsurprising. Vocal minority, and all that.
    Most people I run into in-game are usually very friendly, foreigner or otherwise.

The constant dance parties with indecent symbol chat in Ship 2, Block 20 probably do not help matters, though.
    Last edited by Yuicihi; Apr 22, 2012 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuicihi View Post
    Unfortunate, and... Unfortunately unsurprising. Vocal minority, and all that.
    Most people I run into in-game are usually very friendly, foreigner or otherwise.

The constant dance parties with indecent symbol chat Ship 2, Block 20 probably do not help matters, though.
    Minority focusing on the actions of a minority and applying to a whole.

There's a term for that but I can't remember it. >.>

-Wayu

#1. No more than 10% of an MMO community post on forums usually and you will always get overly positive or overly negative as the majority of those forum posts.

#2. You can map out server performance over the course of a day. I have played virtually all day for the last 3 days and prime JP hours are really bad where as prime US hours are really good. The reason for this is fairly obvious. The hardware or software or both right now cannot handle the amount of connections that they predicted. They are getting inbound connections but are not delivering outbound right.

#3. Over the last 3 days the problem has been gotten better

#4. The 1 JP i partied with didn't have a problem with me. Interestingly neither of us knew "much" of the others' language, but we pretty much spoke opposite languages when we spoke to each other the few times we did.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayu View Post
    Think of how we're kinda semi-blaming the Japanese for clogging up the server. Flip that back on us, except with the Japanese saying WE'RE clogging up the server (although we're much, much fewer in number they don't really know that).
    But we're not really blaming them. It's a beta, and stuff like this is meant to happen in peak times. Is it because of the japanese zergrushing the server at their high hours? Of course it is. Are we blaming them? I certainly don't think it's the case.
    Blaming us, the few handful of dirty gaijin players that have managed to sneak in, for the lag and connectivity issues (except for Block 20, but that's a different story ) is just stupid, and merely an expression of the xenophobic nature of the Japanese culture.

However...

Quote Originally Posted by Yamishi View Post
    The thinking goes that the spots that we're taking up on their servers could go to Japanese people who can report the bugs that they find, whereas we can't (in many cases).
    That, I find, is a much more acceptable reason for being against us/our presence and ask for an IP ban. Our presence does kind of go against the purpose of a beta, since many of us cannot properly report (or report at all) on the issues we find.

But yeah, the Japanese not being happy about non-JP players sneaking in, nothing new...

P.S. I realize this whole post may sound anti-japanese, but it is not. The few times that fate made me play with JP players, in any game, just made me wish I was japanese because GOOD DEAR LORD, are they polite; made me feel embarassed of beign a dirty westerner.