Default Corrupted save data, PSO ep 1&2, Gamecube

Hello ladies and gentlemen.
    New on these forums, but I've been using this website for years since I bought PSO for Gamecube. Anyway, yesterday I was playing offline multiplayer with my younger brother. Our characters are on different memory cards and when we were going to move back his character to his memory card, it said the save files are corrupted and need to be deleted.

So I started to look on Google, found a dozen of threads from this website and read through a couple of them. One guy wrote that I could delete the guild card file from the memory card, and that might fix the problem. I tried that but it didn't help. When I start the game (with my brother's memory card in slot 1), I'm told the saves are corrupted and so on, and I'm asked to delete the save files. No guild card file is created so I'm assuming the problem is located in either the system file or the character file.

The thing is, the character remains on my memory card but obviously can't be moved back. So I'm wondering if there is some way to restore this character to its original memory card, considering that there should still be enough character data on my memory card where he's located (since he's still playable on my memory card)? There's nothing else of value on my brother's memory card anyway, so it wouldn't matter that much if the other characters were deleted. This character however is lvl 114 and he wouldn't want to lose it.

I realize that what I'm asking for most likely is impossible, but I thought I'd still see if there's anyone here who know something.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

From my memory, when you transfer a char from one card to another to play, you have to transfer it back to the original card to save the progress. If you haven't done so, the char stuck in limbo & never playable on the original card again.

Speaking of original card, 3rd party memory cards tend to corrupt more easily when saving than original Nintendo card.
    Blink & you might miss it! ;3

Oh, keep sig at 600x180 px & 49KB, yah?

Well that sucks I guess. I thought that maybe there was a way to remake a save file and use the data that is now on the secondary memory card. I guess we can still play without moving this character back, but it's kind of annoying and a better solution would probably be to lvl up a new character, even if it takes some 100+ hours to reach the same level.

After seeing what happened to my friend's 3rd party PS1 memory cards ~15 years ago, I won't buy anything but the original
    So, both memory cards are original, and there are no problems with any other save files on any card... There's Mario Kart, Resident Evil 4, Tales of Symphonia and other save files on the affected memory card but they work 100%. It's only this particular PSO save that got messed up for whatever reason. I think it happened before at one point, many years ago, and deleting the guildcard file was enough to fix the problem. Didn't help this time though.

Battle Maiden of Ragol Lady Nadia's Avatar

hmmmm. actually if u still have the data, mag, and equips for his character on your memory card u culd give all that equip to 1 of your characters and then transfer it back to his card on a new created character. if you have some mats stored away too he can use, you can plow thru normal thru very hard pretty dam quick to get him back on ultimate difficulty. u didnt mention how high of a lvl his character is thats stuck but u culd easily get him back to 120+ in minimal time using his gear n mag n some mats. especially if u were to help him out and use a fo so hes got buffs n enemy debuffs to support him, or a hu or ra if his char to be replaced is a fo. if his char was a fo.. well maybe do some ultimate runs and check your shops multiple times on 1 of your high lvl chars just to farm some decent lvl techs for him as well and then do the above mentioned stuff. could prolly have him back to ult and at 120+ in less than 50 hours.
    Last edited by Lady Nadia; Apr 23, 2012 at 06:19 AM.
    Ep3 - Nadia 381 Hunewearl, W-4782 L-191, King 32.
    Ep1&2 - Rika 200 Hunewearl, Sophia 200 Racaseal.
    BB - Nei Chan 200 Hunewearl.

The affected character is/was a lvl 114 HUmar. I know I can reach that level without any real problem if I use a couple mats and give him a nice mag + items, but I'd rather not spend time on it unless I have to :P

My theory was that since I have the character moved to another memory card, if I delete the original save and make a new character with exactly the same name, class and features... Couldn't I be able to trick the game into believing it's the same character if I try to move him "back" to this new save file? I mean in theory I could've made a new character and instantly moved him to another memory card, never to move him back, and the game would still recognize that it's the same character no matter what lvl he reaches. Or is there anything else, something that isn't shown to the player, that let the game prevent things like this?

Battle Maiden of Ragol Lady Nadia's Avatar

gah idk how i missd the lvl in ur 1st post.. not that im aware of. save them hours of research n gets to lvlin! i actually had this same problem once. not only wuld my char not move back but the char on my main card still had all of its equips and was playable so the gc actually successfully duped my character. i have had memory card corruption errors before tho.. try blowing in his card n give it a lil tappy! believe it or not this has actually worked for me before! i think sometimes the gc gets stubborn n doesnt wanna read the data properly if theres a speck of dust in the thing. oh also. when the gc duped my char i checked my techs and everything else on my original character, which was a hunewearl, and i noticed the rafoie lvl on the original char dropped down to 18.... but on the char that was stuck the lvl of rafoie was still 20.. so sumthin weird happened when it did the multi mode transfer to a different card it was a frends mem card the duped char was stuck on so i never got the chance to see if the char would transfer back when i got that rafoie lvl back to 20.
    Last edited by Lady Nadia; Apr 23, 2012 at 05:51 PM.
    Ep3 - Nadia 381 Hunewearl, W-4782 L-191, King 32.
    Ep1&2 - Rika 200 Hunewearl, Sophia 200 Racaseal.
    BB - Nei Chan 200 Hunewearl.

That happened to me once as well, but I deleted the duped character almost right away... Took some items that were nice and then deleted him. Wasn't very high level anyway, 70-80 or so lol.

We've tried blowing in the memory card, moved it to the other slot, waited some time, deleted the guildcard file, but still same message. It's screwed... Unless my theory works, then deleting the save file is the only thing left to do. Well we're gonna have to do that anyway to test if my idea works.

That rafoie thing sounds really weird btw

Anyway I just thought that somebody on these boards might have 'deeper' knowledge on the save files, thus being able to tell me if my theory is going to work or not.

On the GC what file is your characters on? Cuz I deleted the other files and kept the Character File thinking it would be ok but alas all is gone. So wtf is the character file good for?