Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default ATI Radeon users-Anti Aliasing-with pictures

This is for all ATI Radeon video card users.
    I've tried to show people how to do this before in many different threads. Hopefully this one will be useful to many ATI users.

• Alright the first step: Download the Catalyst Control Center, and install it, if you don't already have it. This can be found here.

• Next: you want to take is double-clicking the little icon that looks like this(it will be in the right hand bottom corner near the time)-

• Next: It will ask you if you want to put the program on Basic or Advanced. You want to choose Advanced. It should look like this-
      Spoiler!

• Next: You want to go down to the "3D" tab, and hit the +
    • It will drop down some options-
      Spoiler!

• Next: Click the "standard settings" tab-Slide the bar towards performance or quality, depending on if you want speed or looks. For slower computers I suggest performance.

• For the following 5 tabs you will want to do the same as the above step, all depending on if you want performance, or quality. Click, "anti-aliasing", "adaptive anti-aliasing", "anisotropic filtering", "catalyst A.I."(for this one I'm not sure what it does ) and then "mipmap detail level" Choose your options for all those.

• Next: You want to go to the "all settings" tab, and scroll down each one, make sure it's what you put the settings on. You can choose to click the "enable geometry instancing" and the "triple buffering" boxes if you'd like.

• Finally: If you play games in fullscreen, or even if you don't I find that if you go to the Notebook Panel Properties tab, then attributes and select the scaling options to "centered" games run a lot smoother-
      Spoiler!
    • Then: You want to hit apply, and ok, and restart your pc (you don't have to restart but I like to).
    • Then you are done- ALL games will run or look smoother depending on which way you went, performance or quality

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to pm me anytime, as I will not be checking up on this post often. If I have missed any steps, and you have ways to improve my little guide here, please let me know, and I will fix it immediately!
    Last edited by Volcompat321; Jun 10, 2009 at 10:39 PM.

Sticky for reference. Be sure to update if there is change.
    Blink & you might miss it! ;3

Oh, keep sig at 600x180 px & 49KB, yah?

Either the CCC's effect is really shitty and unnoticeable, or I'm doing something wrong. Or my card doesn't support it.

Any ideas what could be affecting it? I'm not running on a laptop like you, if that matters.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

I actually did this a couple days ago because my computer couldn't run BB, of all things. I remembered that it ran smoothly. Glad someone put a walkthrough for others. It really helps a lot if you're using an older machine or, god help you, intergrated graphics. *Raises hand*

Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_S View Post
    Spoiler!
    Hmm, try hitting "apply" after everything you change. Try taking off triple buffering, and try tweaking PSU's options(or any other game you play). After doing this, if nothing changes, your doing something wrong, and I'll have to walk you through it. I'm not sure if it's different on a desktop or not, shouldn't be. I've only tried it with a laptop, and it made a 100% difference. You would notice any changes you made, if done correct. I will look into this, it should work the same way it would on any other computer since it's a Radeon vid card. All ATI Radeon cards should work with CCC. Are you sure you have Radeon?

EDIT: Also, do you have Vista? That may be the problem if you don't and I'll have to add that to the beginning of the walkthrough. Please let me know if you have Vista or not, if you don't please let me know which OS you have. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro_Vordex View Post
    Spoiler!
    Yea, I have integrated too it's sad, but it's a great laptop. I'm glad it helped you. I tried putting pieces of this walkthrough before I actually made it, in peoples threads and it was beginning to repeat itself over and over, so I made this.
    Last edited by Volcompat321; Jun 8, 2009 at 08:04 PM.

"catalyst A.I."(for this one I'm not sure what it does )
    If I don't recall, Catalyst A.I. is just there to automatically adjust your settings if it conflicts with the game's programming or something. I read this somewhere...I forgot where, but I can post it if I find it again.

Don't quote me on this though, I could be wrong.

Any idea if you could achieve this through ATI Tray Tools? I'm running Omega Drivers, based on Catalyst 7.12 CCC is replaced by Tray Tools in the Omega Drivers (I think.) Using Omega because Visiontek hasn't fixed their AGP drivers in ages. Yeah..its an old system made in '05, got it free from a friend and added a 2600XT to it after cleaning it up for some temporary discount gaming.

I've tried setting anti aliasing in TT, but it doesn't seem to take effect.

Edit: Spelling, statement correction.
    Last edited by White Midnight; Jun 10, 2009 at 10:26 PM.
    Ship 2. Asra Licene - Braver. Yukiko - Bouncer
    I actually like Bouncer, you be quiet.

I'm pretty sure you can download the CCC for that. Try going to the site HERE and check if they got your card. If not, I'll see what I can do for your Tray Tools.

My card is AGP. AMD's site won't have CCC for AGP cards. Visiontek's site will but it seems to have issues with AGP cards...even when meant for AGP cards (its weird, hence my need for Omega.)

I actually found the "Adaptive anti aliasing option" in my Tray Tools (not in the tray menu lol) but I don't notice too big a difference. I'll toy around with it a bit.

EDIT: Card is Radeon HD2600XT 8x AGP, manufactured by Visiontek.

You have a radeon that's not ATI...? lol
    Let me do a little research, I'll need a few days at most.
    If any aliasing was done, you'd see a difference, if not, it's running the best it can without overheating and whatnot. I had a problem with a friends laptop that overheated but when we found this program for his, and after he got his shit fixed, it worked great, and it's safe from overheating!

The GPU is ATI manufactured, the card is not. ATI builds GPUs and outsources them to companies that build the card. Integrated graphics are usually ATI manufactured, but the actual graphics cards are outsourced to save money. Nvidia does this too, but to a lesser extent.

I see a minor difference, toying around with the options.
    Anyways, thanks in advance for your help. I'm actually planning on building a new comp soon but for now I'm stuck with this, heh. New comp could be months off.