Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Job/Subjob and Race/Gender combinations help : 0

I was just wondering if there is any guide out there that gives the break down on various job and subjob combinations, as well as the benefits and stat bonuses of the various races and genders.

Ex. I read somewhere in here that fighter/techer is the best tank and that being hunter/fighter is superfluous because stances don't stack.

You read wrong

Hu/te is technically the best tank. With all the damage reductions + Deband Cut, you can cut physical damage by about 45% This becomes redundant if you have a techer with you who uses Deband Cut and you lose out on damage to the point that it's probably not worth doing this - BUT it's an option.

Hu/Fi is the best melee damage you can get. Hu stances dont stack with other Hu stances and the same can be said for Fi stances not stacking with eachother, however you can absolutely stack Fury Stance with Brave/Wise Stance.

As far as clear cut classes go:

Melee: Male Cast - highest Dex, S Atk & S Def. Highest HP (also second highest R Atk & R Def)
    Ranged: Female Cast - highest Dex, R Atk & R Def. Second Highest HP (Second Highest S Atk & S Def)
    Tech: Female Newman - highest T Atk & T Def

Basically - Melee or Ranged pick cast. Tech, pick female newman.

Hybrids will depend on your goal.

For example: Fo/Fi is not melee at all. you're using it for stances since stances boost tech damage, so you're still going to want female newman.

for the most part these numbers are very subtle differences - we're talking 20 points or less. Cast, however has much lower T Atk than even humans so you're going to lose out on more going in that direction than any other.

So as far as race/gender goes, it doesn't matter unless you're cast, in which case, don't use techs?

Humans and Newmans are "good" at any thing.

Cast is best for melee, Caseal is best with guns, but both are the worst by a sizable margin for techs.

Newearl is best at techs. Lowest HP, but otherwise their stats aren't bad.

Humans are the "all-rounder" race. newmans are also fairly good for that but focus more heavily on Tech power and defense. Females have better tech based stats than males so female newmen are the best for tech classes.

Males have better melee stats females have better ranged stats. if you want to play melee or ranged and you're worried about stats, you pick cast. if you're looking to go only melee, go male, if you're looking to go only range, go female. if you're looking to go both, choose whichever one you like to look at more.

But stats wise, female newman for tech classes - period.

As has already been said, for the most part the racial differences are very minor. In my experience, really, only two differences are large enough to be truly significant, though, and both relate to the Newman race.

Newmen, especially females, have a large advantage in T-ATK, and this has already been noted in this thread. However, they are also at a major disadvantage in HP (a newman female Hunter has somewhere around 50 HP less than her human female counterpart at level 50). As such, they are especially fragile as Hunters and Fighters. Having leveled a Newman female HU/FI to51/51, I'd advise against playing Newmen as pure melee classes (HU/FI or FI/HU). It certainly isn't an unplayable combination, but giving up that much HP does hurt.
    Ship 2:
    Katarin: GUmarl. Lethal precision with a whimsical streak
    "Save the day and look good doing it. That's what this job is all about!"

Alessandra: FInewearl. A hyperkinetic, photon-fueled mayhem machine.
    "Oho! I actually felt that! You must be pretty strong!."

While you do notice the lower HP, even a female newman Fo/Te can get to close to 800HP without much effort. tbh at this point I tend to feel like HP is one of the least important stats since units and unit sets give bonus HP as well as souls and other affixes. I still wouldn't recommend newman for pure melee but HP isn't the (only)reason why.

Well, in my case, it was... you're giving up all that HP and getting nothing back for it.

Sure, you can affix HP. Any race can affix HP, though; there's a tradeoff for doing that, in some other stat you can't take with that affix (PP, usually). Because the HP deficit faced by a newman as a pure melee is pretty large, you're going to have to affix more of it to achieve the same survivability (mostly in terms of what can and cannot one-shot you... I tend to look at survivability in terms of being able to survive that one mistake, because nobody's perfect... but a good player should be able to avoid making successive mistakes) as another race. Which means you're giving up some other stat.

In this case, it means affixing one more Stamina Boost rather than a Spirita Boost or a status effect or something else useful.

Of course, in any stat tradeoff, you get something back, right? Races are balanced. But if you look at the female human vs. the female newman stats, it quickly becomes apparent that what you're getting back... is T-ATK.

Which is useless to a pure melee.

Most statistical differences between races can be compensated for to an extent. In most cases, you're trading off some of one advantageous stat for some other stat which might not be quite as advantageous, but probably isn't completely useless. Maybe the other race has more R-ATK, or S-DEF, or T-DEF. These aren't great stats for a pure melee, but they do have some use.

In the case of female newman vs. almost everything else, you are giving up a rather large amount of HP--a useful stat for a melee--for T-ATK, which is not useful at all if you are not maining or subbing a tech casting class.

It was when I really sat down and thought about this, and realized that my newman FI/HU would be at a perpetual disadvantage because of it, and that the gaps were likely to widen as she leveled, that I started seriously levelling the classes on my Human. Who is still at a statistical disadvantage to a male human or any cast, but the difference is much less severe as I see it.
    Ship 2:
    Katarin: GUmarl. Lethal precision with a whimsical streak
    "Save the day and look good doing it. That's what this job is all about!"

Alessandra: FInewearl. A hyperkinetic, photon-fueled mayhem machine.
    "Oho! I actually felt that! You must be pretty strong!."

Just so we're clear I'm agreeing with you, all I'm saying is that less HP isn't nearly as much of an issue as (for example) less T atk

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

When we say that one race is better than another, keep in mind it doesn't really matter. I'm a caseal, and my best class is force. The only downside that I'm seeing is that it's rather hard for me to equip the absolute best equipment, but that stops being a problem if your mag is 50/50 atk/dfp (for your class), and you spec 10/10 in one attack and defense + skill. Also note that, on average, going pure on your job combinations works best (hu/fi, fo/te, etc). It's easier to level, easiest to gear, and the skills work well together. Hybrids are more the exception than the rule.
    Also, defense is normally a non-issue. If you have good armor, you don't need to sacrifice any attack for defense.