Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6131415161718 LastLast

So far, fun! The maps feel a little less open, but then again, when the multiparty maps open again that may change.

I've been soloing this time mainly(I started CBT up late, I forgot since there's a lot going on ATM)... and it still rocks! I find myself wishing my Japanese was much better so I could understand the Matter Board first-hand better- but hey, there's some great guides for that anyhow.

Speaking of the Matter Board: I checked out the objectives for it already in said guides. I am hoping they remove the arbitrary drop stuff, but keep the dynamics of maybe having to complete a certain code in a certain mission and talking to people. Grinding for a drop doesn't feel that dynamic really. I love doing so for getting better weapons for my character, but it feels like the Matter Board to me should be more about doing client orders, or talking to people, or doing codes and whatnot to GET said items from the matter board. I'm thinking stuff like FFX and heck, even earlier in PSO- some weapons you can get as a reward for quests. Do that with the Matter Board! Perhaps it's already there, but even if it is, the grindy weapon drops slightly annoy me.

HOWEVER- the Matter Board has grown on me. I like how you can pick objectives, etc.

At any rate, PSO2 is still holding that awesome flavor, and I wish I had as much time as I did when Alpha was up to play the beta. It combines the best elements from PSU, PSO, and PSP2i.
    Last edited by Fayorei; Apr 25, 2012 at 08:15 PM.
    "Here is the map. All the info is there, except for the info that isn't there." -Onett Librarian
    Let's Play something.
    PSO2 Alpha:
    Level 20 HUnewearl:Level 20 RAmarl:Level 20 FOnewearl:Level 18 HUcaseal

not make us pay for basic functions fo game. let us hav ea single basic room and tradeing and selling free but if wish to upgrade then you get the rent fee. let the premium package be that basic free room [or well basic room and all that] thus you get money from it anyone truely wanting to play woudl buy the premium package. and stuff and then add in VIP package of premium which gives the bigger room tradeing and selling[ basic can say only trade 1 to 5 stars or somthing]

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Wow, just had a nerdfangasm; logged in, had a message saying, I think, that I got extra FUN points, so I thought "what the hell, let's use them on some scratch cards"...
    Scratch number 1: World With Me. Wow. Sweet!
    Scratch number 2: Can Still See the Lightgotoroomputinjukeboxandnerdgasm.
    Yes, the tunes available from that are going to be a nice bonus. The first time you get them.

My overall impressions of the beta:

Hunter feels good. The PA structure is a huge improvement - being able to assemble your own string of attacks is fun, or you can use it to just have multiple single blows handy for different situations. There wasn't as much to improve on here from PSU, since imo Sega got hunters mostly right there, melee combat was always enjoyable. Of course, changing back to found discs for leveling is a big plus.

Ranger is drastically improved over the previous iterations. The third person shooting view finally lets you target a boss's weak points precisely without losing your view of your surroundings (As you did in PSU - you couldn't dodge at all while sniping). The return of PSZ's gun PAs is very welcome. The change to discs? Beyond welcome. PSU's system was absurd - level six times as many skills, often with far more effort (Rifles were absurd), compared to hunters, in order to get weakness coverage.

Force benefits from the shooting view. The techs basically function like they did in PSO, which means you have a lot more attack options than PSU gave. Cards are interesting, and the Razonde interaction in particular is splendid. I didn't pull a rod on force until I got to the forest free mission, and still only pull it out for bosses (where I want the extra punch, and still only if I can safely melee for PP). Techs have respectable power now, and inflict status effects delightfully often on weaker enemies (As they should). Resta is a bit weaker than previous iterations, but it was probably too strong in PSO and PSU at higher levels. The return of a proper Grants, while I only saw it used by AI, is nice.

The jumping mechanic is fun, and they did a great job of integrating the options it opens up into the levels.

The ship layout is nice. A consumable vendor on the camp ship is lovely. I like that all the planets are accessed from a central counter, this was desperately needed in PSU and I don't know how it was overlooked.

I'm still reserving judgement on cash shop features.

The weapon upgrade options are expanded, and I'm loving the possibilities it opens up.

All in all, my overall impression after getting force to 14, hunter to 10, and ranger to 5, is that I REALLY REALLY WANT THIS TO COME OUT NOW
    Coming Soon!

My impression after sleepless nights and days.
    Hunter lv 9, Ranger lv 17 and Force lv 12, mag inclusive and a lot of completed quests later I m feeling ready... .

Phantasy Star Online 2 is truly the sequel of Phantasy Star Online. Its not new PSU or something, its way better than that. SEGA did alot of things right, especially the bring a kind of PSO-feeling back. I dont know if its the music, the style, the sound, the mags or the rest which makes me nostalgic, but now I find things I missed so hard in PSU.

But there are PSU and PSP2-related things which found their way to PSO2. The combat-system is fresh and dynamic, it makes a lot of fun and makes it really really hard to decide which class you should play. Hunters can block attacks and do a lot of damage. Rangers are agil and can attack enemies from a wide distance or in close range by moving and shooting in the same time. Forces can heal themself and charge up any technique to increase their effectness. Even when I played as a Ranger the most, the other classes were fun as well.

I played the beta nearly every day and I dont really find negative points. Even when its not perfect (as a fact its just a beta), its a huge improvement compared to PSU. For a japanese game, the netcode works pretty nice, no big lags or connection problems. The symbol-chat is like the small version of the Forza-Emblem-Editor, I ve seen a lot of incredible amazing chat-symbols made by other players (like this). The mag returns and every weapon and item looks unique.

I can write about this forever and in a nutshell I can say:
    SEGA would be stupid, when they wont release this masterpiece in US and EU. PSO2 is PSO how it should be - combined the strengths of PSO, PSU and PSP2 and fit it in one game.
    5 reasons why its legit to play as a girl in MMORPGs:
    1. MMORPG - Mostly Men Only Role Playing Girls
    2. Friendship never depends on the gender - only love do
    3. Acting as someone who isnt real just means to play the game
    4. Girls like girls, men like them, too
    5. Does it really matter? Really? Its just a game!

Overall the game is pretty cool. Better than PSU for sure. It's a little odd with all the new things like Arks cash and fun cash. I love the new combat system. It could be tweaked for sure but overall pretty damn awesome. I think a lot of the combat relies too much on dodging especially if you are a force. I don't ever feel like I'm in danger. Not that big of a gripe but later down the line it could become a problem.

Also why does it have to be such a hassle to get to new content. I feel like there is a lot of unnecessary padding. We shouldn't have to go through a bunch of different missions to unlock the free field forest. We should have the option to use free field for every area as soon as get the new area. They are locking content that is the backbone of PSO behind extra fluff missions. Some of them are fun but I would enjoy having an option. Also it's easier to understand for new players when all you have to do is run to the camp ship and choose where you want to go.

Anyway the areas in which you run around...the forest mainly is kinda boring. Check out this mockup I did of a typical forest map.

I've seen this variation a few times. Not knocking it just saying we could use more. We could use different set pieces. There is this one place in the catch the rappy quest where there is a field of wild flowers. Blew me away. More like that please. I also thought it was cool when they have the tall grass concealing boxes.

Oh and I really love the weather effects. Fog, rain, thunderstorms, lightning storms. It's all very cool!

Anyway about the set pieces. I think they should be interactive to a point. Here is one idea I came up with. This is meant so that all players can traverse this piece. (I put the ground too close together, imagine they are farther apart and can't easily be jump over.)

Also the tree is in the background. It was hard to describe this because the game is 3D. Anyway you if you try to jump over you won't make and you fall down. You can then use the steps to get back to where you were. After which you can see that the tree can be knocked down and used as a bridge. Since all players can melee they can all pass through.

That's just one example. If we have another suggestion thread I'm going to put this in there.

Oh and it would be cool if there was a set piece where you had to jump on objects that are over a lake in order to get to the other side. If you fall in it will respawn you back to the beginning of the challenge. Unless there is swimming in the game...I don't know.

Anything to take advantage of the fact that we can jump now. The caves does this much better than the forest. It's my favorite area!

That's all I have to say for now.

So far im loveing it and cant wait for open. But one thing i hate that tec dosnt count towerds the beta. Its the healing. U use a monomate and your stuck there watching ur guy drink a soda ( or juice) that they may or may not like. And from what iv seen resta is faster. Iv had to many wasted monomates due to how long it takes for my guy to drink it up only to have his hp drop right back to where it was the secound he drinks it... im done ranting

I love it! Though about those consoles.....
    FUND IT

Phantasy Dad Online II Dragwind's Avatar

I have to agree that the forest area seems to follow a pretty predictable pattern as mentioned. Forest actually reminds me far too much of PSZ's simplistic map layout. I really enjoy when you get to the "large" room of a forest map though, it really makes me happy and wish there were more "bigger" forest rooms instead of constant narrow paths.

All in all though, I love the beauty that a forest map can have. I just wish they did a bit more with it.
    PSO, PSU, PS:Po, PSZ | PSO2: Jergraw (All classes 90) Lunaeris Demoria (Fo/Te 90) Onlak (Hr 90)
    -**Tech crafting max- message me for crafts**-

Forum Rules - Read it!

I'm pretty much done because I'm away from my computer until Friday, and I can say I enjoyed the beta immensely. I played Hunter and it's a very active class. Dodging and blocking depend on my own skill and reflexes, and with Just Reversal even getting floored doesn't take me out of the fight for long. The games strength is in the game play, which is where I like it.

I learned more about the weapon improvement system and look forward to having some great items, although I'm disapppointed in Red Boxes thus far.

Yeah I also agree about the forest map, I said it earlier in this post I think.

The worst about it is that I was told the map was much better in Alpha...