Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I actually agree with Blue-Hawk, on that. I actually think stuff like Sharktopus was supposed to be bad. Even from the previews, it looks like a parody of actual bad B-movie horror flicks. The campy and silly ones, at least. Just when I first saw the preview, I thought of stuff like Shark Attack (of which there was actually 3 of those movies made).

In fact, by the time they got to Sharktopus, I pretty much said, "Ok. Now I know they have to be making it bad on purpose. A kind of, 'Remember when movies would take the most ridiculous idea and try to spin it into a horror flick?'" Like when Monty Python entertained the idea of a movie called, "Attack of the Keep Left signs."

But instead, they read from the book of old bad late 80s early 90s horror flicks and seemed to (by imitation) try to capture the same spirit. Kind of like when Mad TV did Son of Dolemite to pay homage to the so-bad-it's-funny aspect of the actual Dolemite films.

May they don't have the capacity to make good films and decided to fall back on this. I don't know. But I believe they think they have their 'niche' on getting an audience that enjoys trainwreck horror movies. In the same vein that Showtime (the channel) used to air stuff like Jo Bob Briggs. Or the added aspect of Mystery Theatre 3000 where they decided to do the same thing but add running commentary to them.
    Last edited by Akaimizu; Mar 1, 2011 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaimizu View Post
    I thought of stuff like Shark Attack

Eh, my problem with SciFi flicks isn't so much the cheesy special effects... it's the liberties taken with actual science that leave false impressions of what science really is and what the theories actually describe. To a degree, you can't get away from this, because SciFi limited to just what is already known to science would be fairly humdrum. Still, it's annoying when you run into people who's understanding of various fields of science are (mis)informed by Hollywood movies and popular media. Evolution, especially. Then again, you have shows like Futurama which, while reveling in the worst excesses of the above mentioned category... will also be littered with gems like Prof. Farnsworth contesting a horse race so close the judges needed a quantum microscope to judge the winner, changing the result by measuring it and causing his horse to lose.

Spoiler!

Anyhow, I find cheesy special effects much more distracting in horror movies. SciFi is meant more to excite the mind and imagination while providing a thrilling adventure... and in a way is at least complimentary to suspension of disbelief and filling in the blanks. Horror movies, on the other hand, are meant to scare you and in that they need a properly executed atmosphere that draws you into the story so it can build tension and suspense. The problem is, the set pieces for atmosphere building are by now far too predictable... and the execution (literally or not) is marred by cheap special effects and camera angles that break the atmosphere by prominently displaying the seams in their patchwork construction. So rather than having the intended effect of frightening me, they become a sort of sadistic comedy of cheese. I can't help but giggle and laugh at the over-the-top gore, which ruins the mood for everyone else watching.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

Sci-Fi movies are awesome, TV Sci-Fi movies are a different matter, all those crappy movies made for the Sci-Fi channel are probably what you've been watching

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

Titan A.E. is one of my favorites, for sure.

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

SyFy movies are intended to be campy. Can we all get over it now?

What the hell are you talking about

There have been a ridiculous amount of great Sci Fi movies over the years, from the original Star Wars movies, to the first Matrix, to District 9. So bit your tongue.

Also, Scorpion King 2: Not sci-fi.

EDIT: Ohhhhh hahaha just realized you're talking about the channel, not the science fiction genre in general. The channel's called "SyFy" now, so you might want to change the topic title. Or not. Whatever...
    Last edited by Split; Mar 1, 2011 at 07:39 PM.

ITT: People taking shit way too seriously. Entertainment. Look it up. You don't sip your coffee in a bath robe wearing wool slippers while talking about the finer points of the Klingon wedding ritual, or the historical accuracy of Dinoshark.

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Baron View Post
    ITT: People taking shit way too seriously. Entertainment. Look it up. You don't sip your coffee in a bath robe wearing wool slippers while talking about the finer points of the Klingon wedding ritual, or the historical accuracy of Dinoshark.
    You don't want me to take the shit too seriously, then tell people to stop basing their opinions and objections to technology and policies towards science on these stupid sci-fi tropes. I'm tired of every single fucking advancement in AI and Robotics being judged through the lens of the Terminator or Matrix movies.

Also: Fuck Giant Sharks and Octopuses. Gorgonopsid bytches; that's how I roll.

Mammal-Like Reptiles are the best reptiles.
    Last edited by Sinue_v2; Mar 1, 2011 at 09:00 PM.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinue_v2 View Post
    You don't want me to take the shit too seriously, then tell people to stop basing their opinions and objections to technology and policies towards science on these stupid sci-fi tropes. I'm tired of every single fucking advancement in AI and Robotics being judged through the lens of the Terminator or Matrix movies.

Also: Fuck Giant Sharks and Octopuses. Gorgonopsid bytches; that's how I roll.

Mammal-Like Reptiles are the best reptiles.
    I do believe that was the Wilhelm scream at 5:04 ;o

I kind of expect, neigh, DEMAND that my shitty SyFy movies have shitty graphics. It just wouldn't be the same (and as easy to make fun of.)
    Last edited by Sord; Mar 3, 2011 at 06:28 AM.