Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aion

Default Aion

So I was never an MMO ran, I actually dislike WoW with a passion....
    But I am loving Aion.
    Many people call it a WoW clone, and I do understand that it has taken a lot of properties from WoW, but in my opinion, it basically took what WoW did right and avoided what WoW did wrong.
    WoW is kind of a train-setter anyways, most of the new MMO's get to benefit from it's originating attributes.

However, Aion looks 100000000x times better than WoW, it's f***ing beautiful!
    NCSoft definitely surprised me with this one.

I was curious if anybody here on PSOW played it, still looking for more friends. I'm not in a Legion or anything, just looking for more friends I can add and play with on occasion.

I've only had it for about two weeks now, but I'm hooked.
    If anybody else plays, my characters are:
    Elyos on the Aerial server:
    Templar (23) Neptea
    Ranger (31) Nepteee
    Cleric (22) Nepty
    Chanter (34) Genoa
    Sorceress (22) Neptee
    Assassin (28) Neptei
    Warrior (2) Genoh [Gladiator]
    Last edited by Genoa; Dec 27, 2009 at 09:48 AM.

Well, WoW was not meant to look like Aion. It was meant to run on a larger component of PCs for its time. It was also designed to look like the art-style they finalized in Warcraft 3. So of course, a new game that utilizes the limits of the new Crysis engine, and requiring 4-5 times better videocard muscle, will look better than a game that runs well on an Intel Integrated video card.

From what it looks like, Aion, while I like the premise, is pretty much the next WoW. As much as you like it, it's guarranteed you'll see a bunch of folks come in saying how much they don't like it in the same vein as WoW. Especially if Aion gets as popular.

I guess it's because I've seen this pattern again and again, over-time, you'll look at new MMOs with the same grain of salt. While quite a few are good, and offer some good fresh ideas over the last; only time will really tell if the features pay off. I've seen some great stuff die off, whether because the introductory features runs nito kinks at launch, or because of some big enough kink within the first few months of release.
    Last edited by Akaimizu; Oct 20, 2009 at 02:55 PM.

I play Elyos on Israphel.

My characters name is Komatsu lvl 35 Chanter atm. I know a few other PSU players on this server side as well

Akihito 160FM/PT ~~~~~~~~~~Hanami FT~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[Retired]

I love how NCSoft has not handled the bot situation! The spam filter was nice until the bots started using full width japanese/korean ime input to bypass it  (like so!)
    (Dead server) :: Angra Mainyu : Ahura Mazda : Arbalest : Fischerspooner :: PSUpedia & Forums

I might have liked WoW if it's mechanics are basically the same, but I just couldn't get over it's art-style, ugh.
    Yes, I'm a push over for fancy-looks and good music. It makes up half the game for me. Gameplay being the other half, which for most people, is normally the portion that takes up the most.

And yes, the bot situation needs to be worked on, they've done a bit better lately, most of them now spam through private store >_>

Anyways, my favorite class so far is the Templar. I'm saving up my Kinah to purchase Inescapable Judgement , such a wicked pull skill :3
    Definitely enjoying being the Tank.

Now, as I said, I don't MMO much, but this is what I know so far about the jobs in Aion.
    You start off with 4 basic jobs.
    Warrior, Scout, Priest, and Mage.
    Once you reach Lv.10, you ascend to an advanced job. Each of the basic jobs have two routes.
    Warrior > Gladiator or Templar
    Scout > Assassin or Ranger
    Priest > Cleric or Chanter
    Mage > Sorcerer or Spirit Master

Gladiator:
    Melee DPS / Off tank

Templar:
    Melee Tank

Assassin:
    Melee DPS

Cleric:
    Melee/Magic Atk Healer Hybrid
    (can cast a pre-self-rez)

Chanter:
    Melee Buffer/heal Hybrid

Sorcerer:
    Magical DPS (highest DPS class)

Spirit Master:
    Magical Pet DPS

Some nice pictures of the jobs in Aion:
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by Genoa; Oct 21, 2009 at 03:01 AM.

Hope to be 47 tomorrow, almost there!

Wow 46, sweet.

Took a few screenies of my Templar earlier today
    Spoiler!

The game is available at Fry's for only $35. That means one of two things in the MMO community. New patch/expansion coming in the next month, that will completely change certain aspects of the game. Or, it's a sinking ship like WAR and AOC and LOTRO.

It's not a sinking ship exactly, it's more like most of the casuals and binge gamers are finally realizing it's a Korean grind game. The weak are simply dying off.

Halfway to level 48!

Looks like WoW with modern graphics to me. All the classes shown in this thread correspond almost 1:1 with WoW classes, the UI is practically a copy/paste, and the concept is similar enough to draw comparisons as well (alliance vs. horde, angel guys vs. demon guys). Now all they need is for Assassins to be overpowered for five years straight and they'll have a winning formula on their hands!

But in all seriousness, having played WoW's level 70 endgame has forced me to think of WoW and all similar games as little more than a disease that eats up your time and strains your relationships, and I don't plan to ever go down that road again. That said, Aion does look pretty cool, and if I could somehow make there be 30+ hours in a day, it might be fun to give it a try. Assuming I got a nice Windows machine dropped in my lap..... NOW!

......nnnnow!

......NOW!

Damn. Well, looks like a neat WoWvolution in any event.